Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 04:25 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,864,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
No worries. There was no sarcasm taken. As I think I mentioned it's just nice to have more "choice" in how you live your life. There is NO question there are fewer choices HERE than most other places. That was also one of my point. When I've visited other areas (California, Oregon, Washington, Illinois, Wisconsin, Texas New Mexico and Arizona just to mention a few), I've found it strange how I can be in a restaurant in any of those places and I typically don't incur the same banter I do here in Utah? So what is it? We can try to analyze it to death and won't likely come up with any definitive answers. I have my thoughts on it however which I'll just keep to myself, as I'm sure most here don't really want to hear it anyway Core parenting however is no doubt the root. As I'm sure you would say it's got to be easier to manage 2 then 4-6 of them running around.
Were you forced to live in Utah ?
Nobody keeps you here !
You can leave anytime you want to.

I am not one to make you leave, but it does get *old* to hear the same complaints over and over !

Utah is the way it is, and you or anybody else is not going to change that.

I did not like moving to Utah, but I decided to get used to it.
You marry a Utah girl, you end up here, like it or not !
After that, it is not half bad.

Anybody who moved here and then complains,
I would say, you knew very well what you were getting into,
so get used to it !

Lastly, which choices do you think you should have here, which you can get in other places ?

Back to subject.
In and out Burger ...
Why that one ?
I think it is not the taste of the burgers but the nostalgia that came with it.
A long time ago in California, those places were the place to hang out, so you kind of grew up with it.
When they announced to build one here, many said that it would not be a success.
Yet ...
When they finally came here, there were waiting lines half a block long !
Then they not just built one, but they have 9 in Utah today !!
I have a friend who grew up with me in California.
He now lives in Oregon -- no In n Out Burger there !!
When he comes to visit for a few days, he has to have his burger from that place every day !!

I do agree, cooked over a fire is better than cooked on a greasy grill !
Just a different taste that has to be part of a burger.

Last edited by irman; 09-09-2015 at 04:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 04:36 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,764,688 times
First of all there's no point in being redundant regarding the choices I felt were lacking here in Utah. No need to rehash that. 2nd regarding my leaving. It may be easy for you to suggest just picking up and leaving. there are however other considerations to setting a sensible plan of action into place. And that is what I'm working on. To ME Utah did not always possess quite the number of issues I've stated before. it comes more so from the huge population boom both baby and people imports. I'm glad you think it's so wonderful and since there won't be any changing it anytime soon or at all for that matter, it is what it is, and as I've stated before will likely get orders of magnitude worse with the progression of time, growth etc. So my plan is when my SS comes due in 4 years, and hopefully the property values don't tank again, I'll sell out and move to a place with clean water and air, less overall population, and most certainly NOT a baby obsessed one to be sure. Then everyone on the board can take a deep breath and be thankful I'm outta here. At that point I can leave you all to your little utopia realm of struggles with crime, traffic, pollution, lack of water and other resources due to the un throttled growth. Insane rising taxes to support a ever failing school system and well....I'll spare you from the rest of the laundry list. Enjoy if you will

Old 09-09-2015, 05:10 PM

388 posts, read 549,648 times
Utah won't have the high birth rate for much longer. The kids that are having kids will not succeed in engendering the patriarchal model that kept large broods in line, as they themselves aren't grown ups. This will be especially true if they have been denied good education and access to post high school opportunities. You can see it now, young mothers in the stores glued to their cell phones and ignoring their kids. Irritable dads working retail barely earning enough money to support a couple let alone a family. The good thing is that humans are generally selfish, and that will help curb the fecundity. Thus more good burgers to share. The net net of population growth may be barely impacted though, if the state grows because of us various interlopers.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:17 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,764,688 times
I certainly DO appreciate a decent sense of humor sprinkled with some reality. Nothing wrong with that

Old 09-09-2015, 07:55 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,939,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksman View Post
Lucky 13
Yep, this.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:41 PM

914 posts, read 974,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
Were you forced to live in Utah ?
Nobody keeps you here !
You can leave anytime you want to.

I am not one to make you leave, but it does get *old* to hear the same complaints over and over !

Utah is the way it is, and you or anybody else is not going to change that.

I did not like moving to Utah, but I decided to get used to it.
You marry a Utah girl, you end up here, like it or not !
After that, it is not half bad.

Anybody who moved here and then complains,
I would say, you knew very well what you were getting into,
so get used to it !

Lastly, which choices do you think you should have here, which you can get in other places ?

Back to subject.
In and out Burger ...
Why that one ?
I think it is not the taste of the burgers but the nostalgia that came with it.
A long time ago in California, those places were the place to hang out, so you kind of grew up with it.
When they announced to build one here, many said that it would not be a success.
Yet ...
When they finally came here, there were waiting lines half a block long !
Then they not just built one, but they have 9 in Utah today !!
I have a friend who grew up with me in California.
He now lives in Oregon -- no In n Out Burger there !!
When he comes to visit for a few days, he has to have his burger from that place every day !!

I do agree, cooked over a fire is better than cooked on a greasy grill !
Just a different taste that has to be part of a burger.

No everyone has a choice in where they live, sometimes its dictated by there job. Also as much as you research somewhere you never truly know what its like until you are living there and I would say that everyone moans at some point about where they live and they have the personal right to. Nowhere is perfect, however I do find sometimes the limit on my freedom in terms of alcohol is a pain, and is more affected as I have kids so places are less accessible than if I didn't. Not so much where I come from originally and I don't have to eat if I drink.

Unless you google image every aspect of somewhere then you don't know everything no matter what and some people being optimists think why not , and try to see all the positives. There are things I agree that make up for it like the mountains,the outdoors and many other things. You do find a way round it, I had 14 girls at my house last week for a ladies night, very few knew each other even though 2 are my neighbours and lived opposite each other for over 10 years. Some were LDS some were not, we all knew each other by the end of the night and it was so much fun with music and great conversation sat out on a lovely summers evening on my deck. Those who chose to drink did and those who don;t , did not, no one cared and we all had a ball. In fact all my neighbours said we should do more often and they will host the next one! So it is possible here in Utah to have a similar life to other parts. It just takes a bit of work and effort but pays off , and a bit of open mindedness and respect from people ! One of my best nights I have had here since I arrived !

Back to Lucky 13 as you said, the irony after this discussion is ,my oldest friend here is actually leaving Utah for Portland in a fortnight after 4 years living here and we are having a leavers brunch with some lovely girlies from our meetup group. The invite came through this week and its lucky 13! I shall report back on what I think!

Old 09-11-2015, 01:09 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,448,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montygirl View Post
No everyone has a choice in where they live, sometimes its dictated by there job. Also as much as you research somewhere you never truly know what its like until you are living there and I would say that everyone moans at some point about where they live and they have the personal right to. Nowhere is perfect, however I do find sometimes the limit on my freedom in terms of alcohol is a pain, and is more affected as I have kids so places are less accessible than if I didn't. Not so much where I come from originally and I don't have to eat if I drink.

Unless you google image every aspect of somewhere then you don't know everything no matter what and some people being optimists think why not , and try to see all the positives. There are things I agree that make up for it like the mountains,the outdoors and many other things. You do find a way round it, I had 14 girls at my house last week for a ladies night, very few knew each other even though 2 are my neighbours and lived opposite each other for over 10 years. Some were LDS some were not, we all knew each other by the end of the night and it was so much fun with music and great conversation sat out on a lovely summers evening on my deck. Those who chose to drink did and those who don;t , did not, no one cared and we all had a ball. In fact all my neighbours said we should do more often and they will host the next one! So it is possible here in Utah to have a similar life to other parts. It just takes a bit of work and effort but pays off , and a bit of open mindedness and respect from people ! One of my best nights I have had here since I arrived !

Back to Lucky 13 as you said, the irony after this discussion is ,my oldest friend here is actually leaving Utah for Portland in a fortnight after 4 years living here and we are having a leavers brunch with some lovely girlies from our meetup group. The invite came through this week and its lucky 13! I shall report back on what I think!
I'm glad Montygirl, that you had such a good time with your neighbors. Often, it takes someone who likes to host and attend social events to get a group of neighbors or friends together. In some ways, it may be the most natural thing for a newer addition to the neighborhood to host originally, unless some who entertain often already have events planned.

You found what I've seen in UT. Respect others, make them feel welcome and a part of the group, regardless of what they drank and have a good time enjoying each other Laughter and feeling accepted by all present make future gatherings happen sooner. You already have proof of that. Now you can tell others from your personal experience there are fun people in Utah who share similar interests. More people everywhere could learn from you as recovering alcoholics or recovering addicts from other substances would probably be thrilled to know others would accept them without them drinking alcohol.

I simply want to add I don't enjoy eating where parents haven't taught their children how to behalf appropriately when eating at any restaurant. It can be one child or four or more. When children aren't taught and required to behave a certain way in public, they annoy most everyone. It's easy to tell children whose parents have taught them manners and how to behave in a restaurant. I want to thank you and other parents who have taught their children how to act in a restaurant. Not often enough do we say thanks to those who ensure their kiddos follow the guidelines they've taught them, when going out to eat.

I'm looking forward to your report from Lucky 13! I hope you have a great time.

MSR

Old 09-11-2015, 08:29 AM

9,376 posts, read 6,987,931 times
Lucky 13 is the go to but a few other decent options:

R&R BBQ burger
Ruth's diner - meatloaf burger
The cottonbottom - garlic burger
Porcupine - mushroom swiss bacon burger
Chains - Red Robin has a few burgers that are quite good

Old 09-11-2015, 05:08 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,387,079 times
Pretty timely:

6 of the best burgers in Utah | KSL.com

Old 09-11-2015, 05:51 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,829,632 times
Man... a lot Utah hate and Utah hater...er, hating for a thread about burgers.

First off, the best burgers in Utah come off my little charcoal grill, cooked up in the canyon on a lazy sunny Sunday afternoon during the late summer. They are the most elite burgers in the world as only THE Chango's elite inner circle ever get to partake and they are also pretty damn well priced, all things considered.

Sorry Utah is a restaurant wasteland... but NO place is perfect and that's our worst fault. You'll just have to learn how to cook if you wanna remain civilized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area