Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 12:43 PM

281 posts, read 1,185,378 times

Advertisements

But on the other hand, what is there to prosecute when a guy is shacking up with more than one woman. Theoredically it doesn't bother anyone else. But I suppose when tax time comes around and the "wives" can report a total of ten or more children down for $1,000 a pop in credits it presents an abuse. Combine that with the same number of children depending on only one reported income, the father, and state medical and other aid is easily obtained. Now multiply that by the estimated 40,000 participants and that adds up to quite a bundle. Heh, nice work if you can get it.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:59 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,273,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerorick View Post
But on the other hand, what is there to prosecute when a guy is shacking up with more than one woman. Theoredically it doesn't bother anyone else. But I suppose when tax time comes around and the "wives" can report a total of ten or more children down for $1,000 a pop in credits it presents an abuse. Combine that with the same number of children depending on only one reported income, the father, and state medical and other aid is easily obtained. Now multiply that by the estimated 40,000 participants and that adds up to quite a bundle. Heh, nice work if you can get it.
Rick, it's welfare fraud and we all pay for their actions. Otherwise I could give a hoot who shacks up with who, but they are living on our tax dollars..and you know those women and girls are truly abused. Horrible things go on down there in Hildale, but the local police are 'part of them' so nothing will happen. A couple years ago the state wanted to remove a judge from the bench down there in mojave county, i think. He was a plig with several wives and tons of kids and he didnt think he should be removed from the bench. helllooo??? not exactly following the law...

i actually think a lot of them have left Hildale/Colo city..we drove down there a couple weeks ago when we had company (everyone wants to go there for some reason) and the towns were just dead..boarded up. If you have never driven down there, you should go see it for yourself. Later

Old 03-13-2008, 01:15 PM

One cross I bear is sometimes my sarcasim is taken seriously. Your correct about some communitys being established for so long that the kids have grown up to be the police and other public employees. We have a dairy farm near here. And I'm told many of the "employees" were the kids of poligamists associated with the Warren Jeffs sect. When he was convicted they disappeared presumably due to the attention it would draw to the farm. They were replaced with many of the illegals living around here. The more people from the outside that see it the more it's exposed how the intertwined manifestrations of the church, however denied, are woven into every bit of Utah.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:00 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerorick View Post
One cross I bear is sometimes my sarcasim is taken seriously. Your correct about some communitys being established for so long that the kids have grown up to be the police and other public employees. We have a dairy farm near here. And I'm told many of the "employees" were the kids of poligamists associated with the Warren Jeffs sect. When he was convicted they disappeared presumably due to the attention it would draw to the farm. They were replaced with many of the illegals living around here. The more people from the outside that see it the more it's exposed how the intertwined manifestrations of the church, however denied, are woven into every bit of Utah.
i'm not sure i caught that one either (you can call me dense if you feel the need...). are you implying that the church secretly harbors them?

don't worry, i'm not going to start an argument or anything. it's just that i got a laugh out of it, and want to make sure i actually understand what i'm chuckling at.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
i'm not sure i caught that one either (you can call me dense if you feel the need...). are you implying that the church secretly harbors them?

don't worry, i'm not going to start an argument or anything. it's just that i got a laugh out of it, and want to make sure i actually understand what i'm chuckling at.

I don't think the church harbors them...I just think it's a 'look away' situation. And I would guess there are a lot more pligs out there than you think..if you think about it...anyone whose ancestors pioneered Utah had polygamist in their families...I am guessing that some of those families continue the practice... Just a thought...

Old 03-14-2008, 03:32 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,455,711 times
i'm sure some of them do still practice. and who knows, maybe there are some members of the church that are sneaky enough to practice without anyone realizing, but i doubt that there are too many out there. i have yet to see in my own personal experience where a polygamist family was merely reprimanded or had a finger shaken at them by the church. it has come down to excommunication in all the cases i remember seeing, even as a kid. if you want the church to do more than that, we'd have to go back to the good old days of theocratic rule. and i am pretty sure that not too many people want that...

Old 03-15-2008, 01:30 PM

Excommunicated? I doubt they could care less. As far as they're concerned THEY are the only true followers of the faith as it was in it's original design.

Old 03-15-2008, 05:13 PM

347 posts, read 1,567,290 times
The polygamists think the LDS church is of the devil. The Mormons are the most wicked on the earth because they abandoned the "truth" of polygamy. So they do not want to be affiliated with the LDS church at all.
Also, screwing the government by getting welfare is considered admirable ("bleeding the beast" is what they call it). Since the government won't recognize their religious "right" to have plural marriages, then they stick it to the government by getting as much free money as possible.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:11 PM

37 posts, read 220,072 times
Default POLYGAMIST are a bit like the AMISH

If you've never lived in Utah you might find the polygamy thing extremely awkward... and I don't blame you. Quite frankly... the HBO show BIG LOVE... which depicts polygamists as common city-folk (from what I understand... I've never seen it) is not really representative of what you'll find here in Utah.

Honestly... I think polygamists are to Salt Lake City... what Amish are to Pittsburgh or Philadelphia.... you rarely if ever see them around town. They are typically found in rural communities several hours away from the city... and they typically keep to themselves. Most of them are good hearted people that live secluded lives... Polygamists (somewhat like the Amish) are typically a little backward in that they don't live fast paced lives and don't keep up with the media, culture, trends, or fashion.

Yes.... there are a few polygamists in the Salt Lake City area... and I have occasionally seen them in local stores and supermarkets.... but it's certainly not a common thing.

Polygamists certainly have a worse reputation than Amish or other Mennonites because of some high profile cases (Warren Jeffs). But by-in-large they don't have much impact on the daily lives of most Utahn's

Old 03-15-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayzing View Post
If you've never lived in Utah you might find the polygamy thing extremely awkward... and I don't blame you. Quite frankly... the HBO show BIG LOVE... which depicts polygamists as common city-folk (from what I understand... I've never seen it) is not really representative of what you'll find here in Utah.

Honestly... I think polygamists are to Salt Lake City... what Amish are to Pittsburgh or Philadelphia.... you rarely if ever see them around town. They are typically found in rural communities several hours away from the city... and they typically keep to themselves. Most of them are good hearted people that live secluded lives... Polygamists (somewhat like the Amish) are typically a little backward in that they don't live fast paced lives and don't keep up with the media, culture, trends, or fashion.

Yes.... there are a few polygamists in the Salt Lake City area... and I have occasionally seen them in local stores and supermarkets.... but it's certainly not a common thing.

Polygamists certainly have a worse reputation than Amish or other Mennonites because of some high profile cases (Warren Jeffs). But by-in-large they don't have much impact on the daily lives of most Utahn's
We're down here near St. George and of course we see them all the time..and I do think they affect MY day to day life in that they are mostly on welfare and that is taking $$ our of my pocket. We are retired and barely get by and it ticks me off when I go to Costco and the pligs come pulling up in their huge SUV's which are fairly new, they have cell phones, I don't think they live the 'simple' life like the amish at all...yes they are backwards because over the last few years with Jeffs in charge, that was his doing. I am guessing years ago they might have been a little more 'in the loop' with society but he brainwashed them to hate us 'infidels'.

Anyway, thats my opinion but it gripes me that they are on the dole...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area