Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 09:09 PM

214 posts, read 872,513 times

Advertisements

i just say for now your able to have a better drink at the bar i guess till someone is willing to change the laws to make it more easier for everyone to make it a win win situation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2008, 09:16 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,387,798 times
I think the new legislation was a little sneaky.... I think it actually says something like bartenders can pour "up to 1.5 oz" of spirits. I guess that means some bars will still pour 1 oz, and you can't get a side car with it!

For me, we don't usually go out for drinks, at least not since we moved here.
We just mix our drinks at home... as I say to my husband when he asks what I want.. "Make mine a double!!"

Oh my heck*, I sound like such an alcoholic in these posts!

* Had to throw that in there for a little extra Utah flavor.

Old 03-06-2008, 11:34 PM

yeah your right on that they were very sneaky on this thing. but im just like you i usually don't go out for drinks, if im going to have a drink i like to make what ever i want and drink as much in the privacy of my own home. so even if i were to move to utah it would not bother me one bit because im old enough to get my drinks at the state liquor store period......anyways to everyone thanks for all the reply on this lovely topic....

Old 03-07-2008, 03:30 PM

281 posts, read 1,186,091 times
From what I understand the only way the alco-pop law passed was with a compromise with the restaurant lobby that now allows bars to serve more than one shot in a single drink at a time. I had heard the logic for the ban in grocery stores was because the labels were too colorful and therefore too attractive to children. That's about as logical as thinking teenagers won't drink if you make it harder for them to get it. Teenagers can always get alcohol if they want it. Always could, always will. The real issue is why they feel the need to. But that's another subject.
Anytime the government makes some lame excuse in the face of logic you can bet money is involved somewhere. And in this case it's the enomous popularity of the alco-pops and the revenue they were missing out on.
As far as Huntsman is concerned I've never seen an elected official so obviously bought and paid for. His blatent support for the school voucher program in the face of 2-1 odds against it was almost to hard to watch. The states own governor on TV telling people his school system is so screwed up the the only way to fix it is to give parents the money to run their own schools. Who the heck do you think was behind all that? The same powers that force the alcohol laws.
But there is a bright side. The employer ID/SSN check passed. And any hope Huntsman had of getting a cabinent post from Romney or McCain is all but gone. One of Romney's son's asperations of a political career by running against Mathason were shortlived. I like to think that his realization of the fact that he's the son of a millionare and hasn't really done much without the help of his dad and his friends would make people think of another guy just like that who happens to be president.
Things are changing in Utah as fast as the facade of it's thinking it can keep everything in the 19th century fades. And thankfully there's not a thing anyone can do about it.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:20 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,387,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerorick View Post
From what I understand the only way the alco-pop law passed was with a compromise with the restaurant lobby that now allows bars to serve more than one shot in a single drink at a time.
Actually, for single drinks (one shot of alcohol) they can now pour up to an actual shot (1.5oz). Before it was 1 oz - which is less than 1 shot.

Drinks with more than one type of alcohol have been reduced to a total of 2.5 oz of liquor per drink.

Plus, you now cannot order an addition 1 oz shot of alcohol if you have a drink in front of you that includes the same type of alcohol in the shot. So if I order a rum and coke, I cannot order an extra shot of rum.

Utah is a weird, weird, state when it comes to alcohol laws.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:28 PM

That's for the clarification. I've always been a bit practical, some say cheap, with my alcohol purchases. I never really did the bar thing mainly because you have to drive sometime and for the price of a couple drinks you can buy a six-pack. I just love to poke fun at this states complete head in the sand mentality about so many things. But what's really getting pathetic is how they try to ignore it. It's like sitting at the dinner table with your kids, saying grace and trying to not notice that your 15 year old daughter is 8 months pregnant.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:15 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,606,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerorick View Post
....I just love to poke fun at this states complete head in the sand mentality about so many things. But what's really getting pathetic is how they try to ignore it. It's like sitting at the dinner table with your kids, saying grace and trying to not notice that your 15 year old daughter is 8 months pregnant.
ITA! lol ....

Old 03-11-2008, 01:01 PM

515 posts, read 2,324,874 times
It's also pretty funny when you look for apartments and some of them say "no alcohol". I understand not allowing smoking which can cause damage, but no drinking??? Come on. I'd like to see them try to enforce that!

Old 03-11-2008, 01:10 PM

that one is out of line they have no right on that part the smoking i can understand. mostly the type of place that don't want people to not drink or smoke is when your renting a bedroom in someone else home.

Old 03-11-2008, 02:19 PM

The smoking ban is probably enforcable because it's gone to court so many times and upheld. The same arguement can be made for prohibiting pets. But if it's true some apartments want to prohibit alcohol, I can't wait for someone to challege that. A case like that could upset the whole three-legged applecart that a lot of this states laws are wobbling on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: