Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 01:41 PM

78 posts, read 515,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcats View Post
We had our usual service, but attendance was lighter than normal. However, that does not mean people didn’t go to church. To the contrary. Most people in my LDS ward are youngish, and have other relatives in Utah. I think they spent the weekend with their parents etc, and went to church with them. If you live in an area with lots of young families, I’d bet that’s the case.
Thanks Coolcats - I forgot about that. Where I live now, there's only 1 LDS church building in my city and 1 in the city next door, and then nothing for about an hour and half drive, so haven't really experienced people going to their relatives/parent's church since we left Vegas 7 years ago.

Old 03-24-2008, 05:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,938,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger44 View Post
That's awesome you guys got snow, too! I miss the snow - hopefully we'll be moving soon and avoid another humid Florida summer!

I'm not sure why the LDS church near you didn't have a ton of activity, but it is a very important day in the religion. One reason (and my guess) may be that they had their church meetings at a stake center instead of their regular building. A stake center can hold many more people and is used in times when there is a special event, a guest speaker, etc.
The building near my house is a stake center. But maybe they were all at the Denver Temple. It's also spring break here, so maybe many were out of town.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:17 PM

78 posts, read 515,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The building near my house is a stake center. But maybe they were all at the Denver Temple. It's also spring break here, so maybe many were out of town.
Speaking of spring break, we have had a ton of spring breakers here over the past couple of weeks - more than in previous years. We get a lot of tourism from spring break, so since colleges stagger their schedules, ours lasts for about a month!

Old 03-29-2008, 01:32 AM

3 posts, read 20,164 times
Default Utah Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
Is it more Mormon than Provo? Thanks in advance.
Salt Lake City as any city in Utah has a large percentage of members of the LDS faith. If you walk down any street in Utah, or into any Mall, you'll be among people representing every nationality on earth, not to mention their religious convictions. And the odd thing is, they all look alike, dress alike, generally act alike and try to make everyone feel like there one of the crowd. After calling Utah home for nearly 70 years, I can't tell a "Mormon" from any other religion, unless "he hasn't cut his horns off!" Utah Mormons, Catholics, Lutherns, Athiests come from the world over and we all look and act alike. The Mormon's of Utah and Salt Lake City, trace their ancestry to where ever you can imagine, and there all welcome here, we have plenty of room to expand. If being around Mormons is of concern, just "slip" down the road a few hundred feet and the picture changes. Chances are though, you'll never know it.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:59 AM

973 posts, read 2,144,513 times
I agree w/ Dee, unless many people express their religion, I'd never know. Or, their disdain for the LDS faith. I get that alot too. I am the PC one, I listen to everyone, & just accept everyone for who/what they are (& they are from Utah & I just moved here 15 mos ago!!!!!!!!!) . Not that I'm perfect at all. LOL I just try to be fair. But, outside views, wow/yikes! =P I spent the 2 mos before we moved explaining that Utah is NOT a polygamy state (even though I know alot still do practice it, to each their own =) .

Old 03-29-2008, 08:16 PM

515 posts, read 2,325,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Farr View Post
Salt Lake City as any city in Utah has a large percentage of members of the LDS faith. If you walk down any street in Utah, or into any Mall, you'll be among people representing every nationality on earth, not to mention their religious convictions. And the odd thing is, they all look alike, dress alike, generally act alike and try to make everyone feel like there one of the crowd. After calling Utah home for nearly 70 years, I can't tell a "Mormon" from any other religion, unless "he hasn't cut his horns off!" Utah Mormons, Catholics, Lutherns, Athiests come from the world over and we all look and act alike. The Mormon's of Utah and Salt Lake City, trace their ancestry to where ever you can imagine, and there all welcome here, we have plenty of room to expand. If being around Mormons is of concern, just "slip" down the road a few hundred feet and the picture changes. Chances are though, you'll never know it.
The reason people bring it up as a concern is there is a small minority on this board who seems to feel that they have been ostracized by the Mormons.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:07 AM

2 posts, read 8,133 times
Default LDS population %

I haven't read all of these, but none that I have read so far are accurate. The percentage of LDS members in the state in 2006 was 62.4%, and only a mere 41% were active church-going members (I am one who makes up the inactive portion of the 62.4%). Utah County (Provo) is up around the 70% mark, along with most Salt Lake suberbs. Salt Lake itself is below the 50% mark, which is why a democratic mayor can be elected in such a lopsided republican state. Those numbers never get bigger, they are continuously declining.

Old 05-31-2008, 12:12 AM

2 posts, read 8,133 times
and also, "a lot" of people do not still practice polygamy. It is illegal in the state, and the LDS church. The polygamy population is unknown to the average Utahn because they hide in nowhere towns, and the population of polygamists is less then 5,000 by far. Most polygamists fled to Mexico, northern Arizona, or Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area