Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2008, 03:24 PM

3 posts, read 11,393 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I need some advice from those of you who live in or frequent the mountain time zone in general and Park City Utah in particular. I travel quite a bit and work out of my home in the Midwest. It recently dawned on me that I could work out of anywhere from Ohio to Utah and it would make no difference as long as I was w/in 30-40 minutes of a major airport, had Sprint cellphone service and a high speed internet connection.

So I have decided to take my wife and our two elementary school aged children and "relocate" for the month of July. We talked about it and would like to go somewhere that is not too hot, has many activities including hiking, biking, fishing, kayaking, etc. local. We have wanted to take a trip out west and I think a month based in someplace like Park City is the perfect answer. We can take a couple of long weekends and go to Arches and Yellowstone, visit Sundance and downtown Park City. PC seems to have everything I need.

So my questions are:

1. Is Park City a good choice for this? I will need to travel for business to MN, Chicago and Omaha and probably others during the trip so proximity to a major airport is important. We also want to go someplace where there is a lot to do!
2. We want to rent a 2+ or 3 bedroom condo (we need a master bedroom, kids bedroom and a temporary office) for the month of July. It needs to be fairly nice, have a pool, nearby bike trails and a central location or easy bus access. Air conditioning would be very good. I have seen ads online for Town Pointe, Red Pine (Canyons), Prospector Square, All Seasons, Park Meadows and Bear Hollow. Which would be best? Why? Any other suggestions?

Finally, I will be in PC next Friday afternoon and Saturday (March 21 and 22) and would like to look at a couple of places.

I need some advice from PC regulars who's input will be very valuable to me and my family. We are looking forward to a great trip and a whole month to experience a new part of the country!
Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 04:05 PM

111 posts, read 625,834 times
Well, I'm not a PC regular but it was our week-long vacation to PC in 2005 when my family fell in love with the state of Utah and made it a goal to relocate out here. We finally moved out here last August.

But...we did stay in PC for a week during June and our family had a wonderful time! DH went mountain biking down the mountain (you actually take your bike up on the lift), we all went down the Alpine Slides (a blast for the kiddies), I had a great time shopping on the main street (as well as the outlet shops in PC), and we also took some time to head into downtown SLC for some fun.

PC also has the Olympic museum and park which is really fun to go to. In the summer time, you can watch the world-class skiiers train for their aerial jumps - they go down this huge hill, do a few flips and then land in a swimming pool! It really is amazing to watch!

We stayed at the Marriott Summit - they're 2 bedroom luxury condos and very well appointed with a nice kitchen, jacuzzi tub, etc. etc. From what the staff told us in 2005, summer in PC is slow for these resorts so you can get great deals. This resort also had some fun "kid activities" (crafts and things like that). Not sure if this would work for a month long stay but it was great for a week long stay - we could have definitely done another week!

But with that long of a stay, visiting the nearby national parks and lakes is a great idea! And if you happen to fall in love with Utah like we did, that long of a stay will allow you to explore other areas and neighborhoods for a possible permanent relocation. So much of our vacation time was looking at houses and model homes and being floored with how much more house our money could buy in Utah than in Los Angeles.

Anyway...good luck and have fun!

The SLC airport is probably 35 - 45 minutes away from PC when it's not rush hour.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:34 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,500,502 times
Park City is awesome in the summer. The best part is that summer is the off-season for PC, so the prices are much cheaper at that time. There are literally hundreds of condos that you can rent out. Most of them have a 3-night minimum, and you are charged by the night. Make sure you find out about all of the fees included in these, such as housecleaning charges, lodging taxes, etc...

My hubby and I make a yearly trip to PC in July for our anniversary. It is my favorite activity of the year. We have talked many times of coming up for a week or so with our kids because we think they would enjoy it as much as we do. Personally, I think you would have a hard time finding a better place that would match your criteria.

Hope you have a wonderful time with your family!

Old 03-25-2008, 04:50 PM

Hello again everybody! Thank you all for your great advice and info on Park City.

I work for Novell and attended BrainShare in SLC last week. This gave me a day to go up to PC and look at some units. BTW, I love PC. I had never walked up Main St. or really driven around town. It was beautiful! Plus the skiing on Sunday, March 23rd at PC resort was fantastic! 22 new inches of snow in 24 hours! I thought my legs were going to fall off by 2:30!

Anyway, I spent about 6 hours looking around and visited condos in Prospector Square, Park Meadows, Bear Hollow, Red Pine and Towne Point. They all have their pros and cons but I think I like Towne Point the best – followed by Bear Hollow second. Basically, it is a choice between being close to town or staying out where there is room for the kids to run. (That last comment made my mother-in-law nervous. She is afraid a bear will eat one of our kids). After talking about it, I think my wife and I would prefer Towne Point (TP).

So I found one unit at TP on VRBO but wanted to look at others. Moderator cut: not enough posts to make recommendaitons Unfortunately, they want about twice as much as the rental-by-owner guy. I just think $3900 is too high for a month in the summer. I thought $2,000 was much more reasonable.

So based on this new info I have two more questions for you wise folks!

1)Does anyone know of or have a Towne Point, 3 BR unit they would like to rent out over July?
2)Does anyone else have any suggestions of a location close to town with a pool and high-speed internet?

Thanks again!!! I am really looking forward to this trip!!!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-24-2010 at 09:30 PM..

Old 03-25-2008, 05:32 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,970,733 times
Have you tried Craigslist? There are always tons of ads for Park City in the vacation rental section. I don't know if there are any for where you want, or if they are listed for July reservations yet, but it couldn't hurt to look.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:35 PM

Craigslist, Huh. Didn't think of that. I just looked through and there are a bunch of different condos but there is a lot of noise (maybe too many, not catagorized) Plus they are all for short term and near term rentals.

Maybe I will post a "Want to Rent" add. Good idea. Thank you.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 3,706 times
Hi, I am a year-round Park City resident. During my search for a year-round rental, I found that there are TONS of places that are nightly, weekly and monthy rentals and almost everything is nicely furnished. I don't know the prices on those, because it wasn't what I wan looking for but I'm sure there are some reasonable ones. My best advice for finding something resonable is to look in the areas around Park City (i.e. Jeremy Ranch, Snyderville, Kimball Junction, Deer Mountain and Jordanelle Resevoir area, and even Heber and Midway). IN Park City can get a little outrageous, but they give a little break once you pass that Welcome to Park City sign. Craigslist was my best resource, but look under regular rentals as well as vacation rentals. Another great resource is the Park City Park Record, the local paper. They have a huge section for rentals of all kinds and also post them all on their website [URL="http://www.parkrecord.com/"]http://www.parkrecord.com/[/URL]. As fas as I know it is a bi or tri-weekly paper so check the classifieds and Lodging sections often. I hope you find something because Park City is a wonderful place to visit and to live. I absolutly love it and I know you will too! It's good for kids, adults and seniors alike and has most amenities of a city, without the hustle and bustle, and what it doesn't have is only 30 minutes away in Salt Lake. Please let me know if I can be of any more help. Good luck!

Old 03-24-2010, 06:47 PM

4 posts, read 8,064 times
Smile Park City is an ideal place to live!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishers View Post
Hello all!

I need some advice from those of you who live in or frequent the mountain time zone in general and Park City Utah in particular. I travel quite a bit and work out of my home in the Midwest. It recently dawned on me that I could work out of anywhere from Ohio to Utah and it would make no difference as long as I was w/in 30-40 minutes of a major airport, had Sprint cellphone service and a high speed internet connection.

So I have decided to take my wife and our two elementary school aged children and "relocate" for the month of July. We talked about it and would like to go somewhere that is not too hot, has many activities including hiking, biking, fishing, kayaking, etc. local. We have wanted to take a trip out west and I think a month based in someplace like Park City is the perfect answer. We can take a couple of long weekends and go to Arches and Yellowstone, visit Sundance and downtown Park City. PC seems to have everything I need.

So my questions are:

1. Is Park City a good choice for this? I will need to travel for business to MN, Chicago and Omaha and probably others during the trip so proximity to a major airport is important. We also want to go someplace where there is a lot to do!
2. We want to rent a 2+ or 3 bedroom condo (we need a master bedroom, kids bedroom and a temporary office) for the month of July. It needs to be fairly nice, have a pool, nearby bike trails and a central location or easy bus access. Air conditioning would be very good. I have seen ads online for Town Pointe, Red Pine (Canyons), Prospector Square, All Seasons, Park Meadows and Bear Hollow. Which would be best? Why? Any other suggestions?

Finally, I will be in PC next Friday afternoon and Saturday (March 21 and 22) and would like to look at a couple of places.

I need some advice from PC regulars who's input will be very valuable to me and my family. We are looking forward to a great trip and a whole month to experience a new part of the country!
Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help!
1. To answer: Several people choose Park City, because it is only 30 minutes from Salt Lake International Airport, and several airline pilots, flight attendants, and support personnel live here. Outside of the available sports, there are opportunities to see theatre at the Egyptian and the Eccles Center, there are many music concerts especially in the summer with the International Jazz Festival, classical concerts, vocal concerts by the Park City Singers, a volunteer group for locals, and many art showings. The Utah Conservatory offers music lessons to people from five to 85 years old, and gives free master classes and monthly outreach concerts to practice your disciplines.

2. There are many condos for rent, and in this economy, the prices are very reasonable. I would recommend getting a subscription to the Park Record, the local paper which advertises condos and homes for rent, some of them rent to own. Pinebrook in Kimball Junction is probably the most economical as it is a few miles from the ski resorts, which raises the rental prices. There are still condos for sale in Kimball junction that are reasonable, as well. Kimball junction is especially inviting as it has major department stores, grocery stores, walmart, staples and others. This is the best time to invest in Park City real estate, as several homes have become less expensive and many sit waiting for the day of recovery, which, by all signs will not happen for a year or two.

Moderator cut: signatures not allowed

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 03-24-2010 at 09:32 PM..

Old 03-24-2010, 09:32 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Since the OP was over 2 yrs ago, I think he has found something by now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: