Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 06:09 PM

214 posts, read 872,180 times

Advertisements

will the state of utah most likely be open arm, bringing family and kids from haiti to live in and around the metro area of salt lake city.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:13 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,761,220 times
they won't have to. The church will invite them in in droves as converts. Heck, they did that with the Tongans out of LA back in the late 70's and all it did was give us the "start up" gangs here. How lovely.......

Old 01-13-2010, 06:16 PM

as of right now this aint the time be talking about them starting gangs as people lost love ones in this earthquake. i know there are always a bad apple in every race...but i was just saying that's all.

Old 01-13-2010, 06:55 PM

Moderator cut: orphaned quote and rude if you read it very careful i said there is always a bad apple in every race. say if the gov. of utah brings the people from that country to give them better housing and schooling as well. not every single person is perfect. i just wanted to get some feed back if it's going be like this again when the state of utah brought people from new orleans.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-13-2010 at 07:17 PM..

Old 01-13-2010, 11:42 PM

anyways this is just my thought i hope the gov. of utah and local and state agency are able to help and relocated the people from haiti to the salt lake city area. but lets just pray for the people in that country for them to be strong and also so they can rebuild there city to make it alot better.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:14 AM

3,260 posts, read 6,761,220 times
You seem like the benevolent type. Why doesn't the governor of California welcome them to Sacramento. Offer them housing and a better education Yeah, I rather thought so. We in Utah have our OWN problems with the economy. Record foreclosures, lack of housing, school deficits (and after a continuous 3 year in a row hike in taxes to help out in the schools). So I'm very sorry for their loss, BUT we are not doing enough for our people right here in the U.S. thus far. It astonishes me that the U.S. government (notice I'm not saying "the people" at large) are the first to come to the rescue of foreign countries in distress when we don't even help the citizens of this country sufficiently. What incenses me the most is how so many in this country look elsewhere (outside of the U.S.) to give their assistance to other than their own countrymen and women equally in need.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:21 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebreezy View Post
anyways this is just my thought i hope the gov. of utah and local and state agency are able to help and relocated the people from haiti to the salt lake city area. but lets just pray for the people in that country for them to be strong and also so they can rebuild there city to make it alot better.
Breezy,

I agree with your heart but not how you want to do it. Having the government forcibly take away funds from others to help Haitians is wrong.

If churches or red cross etc. want to raise funds to help and house them that is great. I just don't believe in majority forced charity no matter how nice it is.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:44 AM

just looking at everything it's going to be another katrina to get people out of that country and fly them all over the united states which i see.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:16 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
After Katrina, US citizens (and some illegals) were flown to various cities in the US. Bringing uninjured people from another country here to re-settle them just isn't possible. At least the Katrina victims spoke English. Even so, about 1/2 of them brought to UT in the 1st year returned to LA. How could Haitians return to their country? Better to send supplies, doctors, and money as many charities are doing.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:25 PM

835 posts, read 2,076,951 times
great point Belle on the US Citizens. Someone used to the climate in Haiti would not love Utah climate. I think that was one of many reasons for the Katrina transplants to head back south..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area