Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 08:53 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,785,266 times

Advertisements

Deborah, ten days later, and all you've heard from is us white busybodies. Shouldn't that tell you something?

I haven't lived in SLC for almost 20 years, but I still visit friends and family there often. One friend teaches middle school in SLC. The fact is, the state outside of SLC is overwhelmingly Mormon, very few AA families. SLC does have some AA families, along with Hispanics, Tongans, people from other areas of the world that have experienced a lot of Mormon proselytization. The areas where you will find significant numbers of minorities in the public schools, do not have the most desirable public schools. In addition, as the kids go on in school, they will find that there are Mormon seminaries strategically placed right next to the public schools, so that LDS kids can go to and from them throughout the day in order to receive religious education during the school day. People from other religious groups tend to become more involved in their own religious communities as a counter-weight to the strong LDS presence. Outside of SLC? in most of those areas, life is LDS.

If it were just you and your husband, and just for a few years, and the offer were fantastic, sure. You could live in the Avenues or right near the U of Utah - these areas are relatively liberal. But you've got kids. It's just not fair to them to raise them where there are so few AA kids.

When I was living in SLC, and got off the plane to visit Seattle, San Francisco, San Diego, or the Northeast cities, I would realize as soon as I stepped off the plane into the terminal how WHITE SLC was! As a Caucasian person, I just wasn't actively aware of it, until I was out of there.

Look at the greatschools website. They've tried to bury the info, but it does list the racial composition of every school, and the test scores. That should give you the information you're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area