Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 03:12 PM

24 posts, read 15,511 times

Advertisements

Is it true there is contention between the two? I thought they had a good relationship because it wasn't too long ago when intermountain donated $15M to the campus as noted here, https://intermountainhealthcare.org/news/2018/02/intermountain-healthcare-gifts-$15-million-for-new-university-of-utah-medical-school/

According to this, there is "...antagonism between Intermountain and UofU. There's some history there that will affect your future opportunities later depending on how you make the choice, particularly if you are not LDS... If I were LDS, either are fine depending on your preferences. If I were not LDS and if you do not make some sort of inroad into Intermountain, it is quietly much harder to get a job there in the future (this is assuming that you want to stay in Utah after training).

If you are from the SLC area already, you really, really ought to ask around about the story and fate of the old LDS Hospital and how that relationship played out between the University and Intermountain. There is a reason why LDS Hospital is now part of Intermountain."

Also is it true that whether or not I'm LDS would a play a role in being considered for a job? This possibility seems a bit extreme for our day and age.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm deciding between accepting a position at Intermountain Primary Children's Hospital vs. the Huntsman Cancer Hospital & UofU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2018, 03:20 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDaisies View Post
Also is it true that whether or not I'm LDS would a play a role in being considered for a job? This possibility seems a bit extreme for our day and age.
It shouldn't make a difference at all. Trust me, there are many, many, many medical professionals who are not LDS who are working at hospitals all over Utah.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:13 PM

9,368 posts, read 6,967,418 times
They are indirectly competitors and compete for the employees as well. The U has better funding and have not had to go through the recents rounds of layoffs that IHC has had to do.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...pt-or-die.html

Not being LDS is not problematic for either employer. My wife works the U hospital and they treat her so well which is common throughout the entire department. Our benefits including retirement and medical are top notch.

Old 05-12-2018, 06:32 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Intermountain Healthcare no longer has an ecclesiastical relationship with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Old 05-12-2018, 07:12 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Intermountain Healthcare no longer has an ecclesiastical relationship with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Having worked there for some years, I can say it's still a strong relationship if informal now.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:43 AM

163 posts, read 318,137 times
You pose an interesting question, but the bottom line is that you are fortunate to be able to choose between two fine hospitals. I'd say choose the position that appeals to you most, and don't get too stressed out over what you read in the newpapers or online.

It's true that both have had their share of headlines in the past couple of years, but the internal relationship between the UofU and the Huntsman Cancer Institute strikes me as having been far more contentious than any interactions with IHC! I am referring to the April 2017 firing of HCI's CEO, which led to the resignations of the UoU president and the CEO of UoU Healthcare. She was reinstated after public outcry (and the Huntsman family's threat to withhold a planned donation of $250M.)

I agree that not being LDS would not be a prolem for either employer. My daughter is a non-LDS medical professional at a Primary Children's outpatient clinic and I have never heard her voice any concerns about any religious bias or ties to the Church.

Old 05-13-2018, 11:55 PM

246 posts, read 320,380 times
I think the contention used to be greater in the early 2000s. I know there used to be some issues between AirMed (U Hospital) and Life Flight (IHC). I think there was a lawsuit between the two at some point. But that’s probably ancient history by now.

You’ll probably get more job stability with University Hospital and you should ask if the position is State retirement eligible. That’s a huge benefit difference.

Old 05-14-2018, 03:09 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,480,235 times
Intermountain healthcare employee morale is at an all-time low. I do not recommend working there. I was there for over 5 years and saw the new changes take place with the new CEO. Things are much different than they used to be, in a bad way.

The U of U hospital is a better place to work. They are both Level 1 trauma centers. Pediatric trauma for Primary's of course. Intermountain has high employee turnover. It (IHC) pays nurses slightly better, like a dollar or so more per hour.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:15 PM

24 posts, read 15,511 times
Wow these are all really great feedback! I'm glad I made the decision to accept the offer from Huntsman & the UofU then! I can't wait to start

Old 05-15-2018, 04:05 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,179,338 times
This is an interesting thread, and an issue I've always been curious about. My husband is an Orthopedic surgeon and once back in the mid 2000s while he was still a Resident, he attended a conference in SLC. He really loved the area, and since we were at the point in his training where he'd be looking at practice opportunities, he talked to some of the other attendees at the conference, particularly the local ones.

He was told that non LDS professionals who rely on referrals for business, including physicians, lawyers, accountants etc, all have a significantly more difficult time than people who were LDS. While he was told being non LDS was not a deal breaker, he got the impression it was absolutely a negative criteria for someone in a professional career.

Always wondered how much truth there was in that generalization....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area