Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 02:19 PM

7 posts, read 5,963 times

Advertisements

***I posted this on the main Utah forum accidentally, but meant to post here and I dont know how to delete the original.

Hey ya'll. I know you have to be annoyed with all of these relocation posts, but I could definitely use a little advice. I am from Houston, and my family and I are looking to relocate to Utah in June. I have done SO much research and everything looks great on paper, but I would love to hear from actual Utahns.

I am torn between the Pleasant Grove/American Fork area and then Kaysville/Farmington area. I would love to hear any pros/cons of both areas, and what the majority of you feel, or if you think there are better areas. I am trying to stay away from the city though.

Some background:

I am married
My husband and I have 5 children(all boys) under the age of 10.

We are pretty conservative but try not to get into politics much
We are religious. My family growing up was LDS, but my husband is baptist. However, he is willing to talk to missionaries, learn about the religion, and possibly convert. So the LDS thing will not be an issue for us.

We are basically looking for good schools, great area for children, a lot of outdoor activities, and low crime. I would also love to hear about community events, like easter egg hunts, christmas events, family picnics etc. I am hoping to find somewhere that has a small town vibe that does things like that - almost like a hallmark movie town - if that exists

I appreciate any advice you are willing to give! I have joined every mom group on facebook to get as much advice as possible. I have to say, all the people I have spoken too are so helpful and nice; I hope it's like that in person as well. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 02:32 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,555,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitcarlton237 View Post
***I posted this on the main Utah forum accidentally, but meant to post here and I dont know how to delete the original.

Hey ya'll. I know you have to be annoyed with all of these relocation posts, but I could definitely use a little advice. I am from Houston, and my family and I are looking to relocate to Utah in June. I have done SO much research and everything looks great on paper, but I would love to hear from actual Utahns.

I am torn between the Pleasant Grove/American Fork area and then Kaysville/Farmington area. I would love to hear any pros/cons of both areas, and what the majority of you feel, or if you think there are better areas. I am trying to stay away from the city though.

Some background:

I am married
My husband and I have 5 children(all boys) under the age of 10.

We are pretty conservative but try not to get into politics much
We are religious. My family growing up was LDS, but my husband is baptist. However, he is willing to talk to missionaries, learn about the religion, and possibly convert. So the LDS thing will not be an issue for us.

We are basically looking for good schools, great area for children, a lot of outdoor activities, and low crime. I would also love to hear about community events, like easter egg hunts, christmas events, family picnics etc. I am hoping to find somewhere that has a small town vibe that does things like that - almost like a hallmark movie town - if that exists

I appreciate any advice you are willing to give! I have joined every mom group on facebook to get as much advice as possible. I have to say, all the people I have spoken too are so helpful and nice; I hope it's like that in person as well. Lol
Do you prefer the Y or the U?

Old 09-20-2018, 10:18 PM

246 posts, read 320,873 times
Both options are going to give you what you’re looking for. They are both safe bedroom communities. I don’t know I’d describe either as “Hallmark”. I’d describe them more as Cupcakeland Suburbs. The main difference, in my mind, is Utah County is a higher level of conservative than Davis County.

Everything else being equal, I’d pick the one with a better commute to work. If work is downtown, I’d go with Farmington/Kaysville. If work is on the southend of SLCo or Utah County, I’d go with AF/PG.

Old 09-21-2018, 07:17 AM

234 posts, read 221,342 times
First time hearing Cupcakeland.

Old 09-21-2018, 08:34 AM

The first time I heard it used to describe generic vanilla suburbs, it stuck.

This is the origin:
http://plaza.ufl.edu/atalbot/2007/en...upcakeland.pdf

I lived on the border of Kaysville & Farmington for 5ish years in the mid 90s. My dad just recently sold the house.

Last edited by Beernik; 09-21-2018 at 08:44 AM..

Old 09-21-2018, 09:15 AM

Cupcake land is funny! May I ask why he decided to sell the house in Kaysville? I’ve been leaning more towards Pleasant Grove, but I just can’t make up my mind. Lol my husband has an opportunity to get a job in Orem or Layton, so either one we choose the commute won’t be bad. I have heard neighbors are very friendly, but do you know if they have or would join neighborhood parties/bbqs and stuff like that. We have many here and would love to carry on the tradition where we move, but I know in some places that isn’t a thing. I don’t know if it’s just a southern thing or not lol! We are very sociable, and I’m sure we will be able to make friends but I am just nervous! I’ve been in Houston my whole life, so it will be a big change.

As for the Y or U thing, I am a Crimson Tide fan, but I guess I am going to have to pick a side now.

Old 09-21-2018, 10:45 AM

My mom passed away. My dad fell in love again. He and his girlfriend both sold their houses and bought one together up Ogden Canyon.

If you’re active in your LDS Ward, there will probably be plenty of activities like that for you. In both areas, the Venn diagram of your neighborhood and Ward will likely have a +70% overlap.

As college sports goes, BYU’s program wasn’t great before they decided to go independent and it has gone downhill since. BYU has lost the riverly game the last 7 times. In 2015, the U went up 30-0 in 8 minutes then ran out the clock for 3.5 quarters.

Old 09-21-2018, 01:23 PM

9,375 posts, read 6,982,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beernik View Post
Both options are going to give you what you’re looking for. They are both safe bedroom communities. I don’t know I’d describe either as “Hallmark”. I’d describe them more as Cupcakeland Suburbs. The main difference, in my mind, is Utah County is a higher level of conservative than Davis County.

Everything else being equal, I’d pick the one with a better commute to work. If work is downtown, I’d go with Farmington/Kaysville. If work is on the southend of SLCo or Utah County, I’d go with AF/PG.
LOL at cupcake land but it's definitely delicious and far more desirable to me than whatever the opposite would be called. I used to love the Aves but once density and college students took over hasta luego.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:24 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,859,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
LOL at cupcake land but it's definitely delicious and far more desirable to me than whatever the opposite would be called. I used to love the Aves but once density and college students took over hasta luego.
Why "hasta luego"
You plan on coming back?

Old 09-21-2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Are the areas I am looking at full of college kids? I saw there are a lot of young families(I am 27, so that’s good for me lol) but I wasn’t sure about college kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area