Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 06:29 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,863,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Which do you consider the "middle suburbs"?
Kat ...
The one between the left and the right ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2019, 02:09 PM

234 posts, read 221,424 times
I don't mind car dealerships or more citified areas, especially if the streets behind them are residential. And the rents are probably less there, than the hills areas, which are too hard to bike daily anyway. I should spend a few days in Murray and walk around it a bit.

Main thing is to no see tents, naked people, pot smoke coming out of cars, etc, like LA has become. The homeless count there is now 60,000 and they are predicting a Typhoid Fever outbreak this summer because of the rats in the homeless camps.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:15 PM

9,376 posts, read 6,985,952 times
Meh

Old 06-08-2019, 07:44 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,037,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut new View Post
I don't mind car dealerships or more citified areas, especially if the streets behind them are residential. And the rents are probably less there, than the hills areas, which are too hard to bike daily anyway. I should spend a few days in Murray and walk around it a bit.

Main thing is to no see tents, naked people, pot smoke coming out of cars, etc, like LA has become. The homeless count there is now 60,000 and they are predicting a Typhoid Fever outbreak this summer because of the rats in the homeless camps.
You might see that from time to time. Also on the ski lifts.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:45 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,473,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ut new View Post

Yes, definitely come and make a visit to Murray if you can to see if it will meet your needs. Really most of the Salt Lake valley is pretty flat, with a few exceptions. In Sandy where I live, for example, you'll have to ride uphill from around 700 East to get to 1300 East. Do you prefer biking on city streets rather than on bike trails? There is a long, paved bike trail called the Jordan River Parkway Trail that is about 40 miles from end to end. I haven't been on it yet myself, but it should be a good place to bike and not have to worry about cars right near you.

I don't think I've seen any tents or naked people where the homeless tend to congregate. Downtown, you'll see them laying on grassy areas in some parks and parking areas, and at night you might see them in the doorways of businesses, especially if its raining.

I'll PM you with a suggestion of an apartment you might want to check out in Murray.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:36 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,037,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
Yes, definitely come and make a visit to Murray if you can to see if it will meet your needs. Really most of the Salt Lake valley is pretty flat, with a few exceptions. In Sandy where I live, for example, you'll have to ride uphill from around 700 East to get to 1300 East. Do you prefer biking on city streets rather than on bike trails? There is a long, paved bike trail called the Jordan River Parkway Trail that is about 40 miles from end to end. I haven't been on it yet myself, but it should be a good place to bike and not have to worry about cars right near you.

I don't think I've seen any tents or naked people where the homeless tend to congregate. Downtown, you'll see them laying on grassy areas in some parks and parking areas, and at night you might see them in the doorways of businesses, especially if its raining.

I'll PM you with a suggestion of an apartment you might want to check out in Murray.
The JRP is terrific! It's shaded by trees in many sections as well, so summer heat is less of an issue. And true, you won't share it with cars but you will share it with pedestrians, runners, kids on skateboards, dog walkers, etc. But it's not so congested that biking is in any way impeded. Highly recommended.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:24 PM

914 posts, read 974,305 times
Jordan river trail is amazing, I used to live right near it on 1300 W, used to bike with no crazy drivers all the way from south jordan to Murray! A joy to behold. My hubby used to live in Murray and loved it, he's now in Sandy but misses living there as a bit more diverse and was on the edge of Cottonwood Heights and Holladay
Loads of amenities and just a bit closer to downtown. Downtown fine, some homeless people but general area fine and regularily used to go into city for concerts, sport , dinner out etc. What city doesn't have homeless people ! Not sure what the surprise is.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:15 PM

The parkway does sound nice. I'll be mostly on the street however, for grocery, post office, etc every day.

Old 06-11-2019, 09:58 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,473,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montygirl View Post
Jordan river trail is amazing, I used to live right near it on 1300 W, used to bike with no crazy drivers all the way from south jordan to Murray! A joy to behold. My hubby used to live in Murray and loved it, he's now in Sandy but misses living there as a bit more diverse and was on the edge of Cottonwood Heights and Holladay
Loads of amenities and just a bit closer to downtown. Downtown fine, some homeless people but general area fine and regularily used to go into city for concerts, sport , dinner out etc. What city doesn't have homeless people ! Not sure what the surprise is.
I think it's sad that we've seemingly just come to homeless people in a city as normal. I've lived in four states now, and while I've always lived in the suburbs, I haven't been that far from a city (New York, Orlando, Raleigh, Salt Lake City). What city doesn't have homeless people? Of the places I've lived, I honestly don't remember seeing any homeless in Raleigh. If there are any, they are negligible and certainly not noticeable like they are here. While long time residents of SLC might not think the homeless population here is a big deal compared to places like Los Angeles or Las Vegas, it was the first thing I noticed when in the downtown area. I don't remember seeing people laying around in parks, parking lots, on the street, etc in other places like they are here in SLC. When I was riding the Trax red line out to WVC once, there was even one asleep on the floor of the train! UTA Police had to come to get him up and off the train.

Old 06-11-2019, 01:42 PM

Just took a look around Murray Park and did not see any homeless, including up and down State Street there, and even the 7-11 which I was shocked. If that park were in LA there would be 100 to 200 homeless total in it (not safe for kids), with tents lined up, and people sharing needles, and garbage dumped on the grass, and some crazies naked, and police dealing with at least one of them. Also homeless in trains in LA are so bad they have to kick them off because they either smell up the whole train and get people sick, or they are threatening people beyond the normal threats that pepper spray can deal with. Some trains are now getting armed guards, like some post offices, 7-11's, and other places have gotten after the attacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area