Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 10:59 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times

Advertisements

I think Cottonwood Heights, Sugar House, and the rest of the East Bench get a lot of mention because they are, by and large, considered the destination suburban communities of the Salt Lake Valley. You see a similar pattern in the other forums and sub-forums on this website focused on major metropolitan areas. I don't think they are recommended for nefarious or close-minded reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Holladay, in fact, actually has a small walkable downtown with shops, an upscale market and a handfull of restaurants. It's reminiscent of the northeast or north shore in chicagoland. It's a pleasant relief from the chains and strip malls everywhere else.
As someone from the North Shore, I think it's a bit of a stretch to say "reminiscent," but I think it is fair to say that it's the closest thing Salt Lake has to it. Again, these are the destination communities in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2019, 08:41 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I think Cottonwood Heights, Sugar House, and the rest of the East Bench get a lot of mention because they are, by and large, considered the destination suburban communities of the Salt Lake Valley. You see a similar pattern in the other forums and sub-forums on this website focused on major metropolitan areas. I don't think they are recommended for nefarious or close-minded reasons.

As someone from the North Shore, I think it's a bit of a stretch to say "reminiscent," but I think it is fair to say that it's the closest thing Salt Lake has to it. Again, these are the destination communities in the area.
LOL, to squeeze out even a qualified agreement makes my point.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:59 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Ok, here's what you need to understand. In general, the communities here aren't very distinct, they're a continuum and kind of ooze into each other. If Cottonwood Hts and Sugar House are of interest then the towns separating them - Millcreek/East Millcreek and Holladay - should be as well. Holladay, in fact, actually has a small walkable downtown with shops, an upscale market and a handfull of restaurants. It's reminiscent of the northeast or north shore in chicagoland. It's a pleasant relief from the chains and strip malls everywhere else. As far as I know this is unique in all the Wasatch Front.
Yeah, Holladay has one of the few (if only) walkable downtowns in the entire area (aside from "downtown Salt Lake City'). I like that about it. A walkable downtown is something the OP may end up having to sacrifice if they end up in any areas other than Holladay or Sugarhouse. You're right about all of the communities merging together around here, though. You can cross an intersection and be in an entirely different neighborhood.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:00 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,471,831 times
Quote:
Ok, here's what you need to understand. In general, the communities here aren't very distinct, they're a continuum and kind of ooze into each other. If Cottonwood Hts and Sugar House are of interest then the towns separating them - Millcreek/East Millcreek and Holladay - should be as well. Holladay, in fact, actually has a small walkable downtown with shops, an upscale market and a handfull of restaurants. It's reminiscent of the northeast or north shore in chicagoland. It's a pleasant relief from the chains and strip malls everywhere else. As far as I know this is unique in all the Wasatch Front.
I need to check out Holladay myself. That is one of the areas in the valley that I haven't been to yet. As someone who spent most of his life in the suburbs of New York, I definitely miss areas that have distinct downtowns. There were so many of those in Westchester county, NY where I grew up, but seemingly none here in the Salt Lake City area. Every area is just a sprawling stretch of streets on a grid with shopping centers and similar chain businesses, with little to differentiate one from another. It's kind of boring, actually.

Old 06-28-2019, 05:37 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manyroads View Post
I need to check out Holladay myself. That is one of the areas in the valley that I haven't been to yet. As someone who spent most of his life in the suburbs of New York, I definitely miss areas that have distinct downtowns. There were so many of those in Westchester county, NY where I grew up, but seemingly none here in the Salt Lake City area. Every area is just a sprawling stretch of streets on a grid with shopping centers and similar chain businesses, with little to differentiate one from another. It's kind of boring, actually.
I too am from Westchester (Pelham, Pound Ridge). Holladay is the only town that's even remotely close. After moving here my wife and I were driving down Holladay Blvd from the village towards the Cottonbottom Inn. She exclaimed, "Wow, this is looks normal, like home, not like Utah at all!" A bit tongue-in-cheek perhaps, but still she had a point.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:09 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
Quote:
LOL, to squeeze out even a qualified agreement makes my point.
I think I should have been more clear. I think that socioeconomically and culturally Holladay and the East Bench resemble Chicago's North Shore. However, the North Shore communities are transit-rich railroad suburbs. Holladay nor any of the other East Bench neighborhoods fit that profile. North Shore communities are genuinely walkable—walk to train, walk to store, walk to school, etc. Holladay is developing a little and somewhat walkable downtown that more resembles a lifestyle center than the town centers that developed around railroad stations in suburban Chicago at the turn of the century. The housing stock is thoroughly dissimilar outside of those neighborhoods closest to downtown Salt Lake and the U. Someone looking for Evanston or Lake Forest in the Salt Lake Valley will need to adjust their criteria.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:18 PM

388 posts, read 549,138 times
I ride horses and will need to find a new stable. Minimizing drive time from home would be ideal.<<<<<<<<

Do you have a horse, or you mean you just want to get to a stables with horses you can ride?

Old 07-23-2019, 09:46 AM

43 posts, read 50,546 times
Holladay or Millcreek - or perhaps a bit farther north in Canyon Rim area. Would give you most of what you are looking for - although don't hold your breath that you will really like it here. But, those 2 areas have some more 'historic' bungalows, etc. and there are stables at Brighton Meadows. https://bmec-online.com/

I live in Cottonwood Hts and honestly it doesn't sound at all what you are looking for.

Sugarhouse is, in my opinion, too busy. But, I'm from Wyoming...so, yeah.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:36 AM

144 posts, read 163,806 times
Quote:
I too am from Westchester (Pelham, Pound Ridge). Holladay is the only town that's even remotely close. After moving here my wife and I were driving down Holladay Blvd from the village towards the Cottonbottom Inn. She exclaimed, "Wow, this is looks normal, like home, not like Utah at all!" A bit tongue-in-cheek perhaps, but still she had a point.
I just googled mapped it and I agree the scenery looks westchester-y but where exactly is that "walkable downtown area" people are referring to?

Old 08-31-2019, 07:14 AM

272 posts, read 270,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandweller13 View Post
I just googled mapped it and I agree the scenery looks westchester-y but where exactly is that "walkable downtown area" people are referring to?
If I were to guess, I'd say the Soho food park area, but walkability is limited to maybe one city block. I could be wrong though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area