Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2020, 09:47 AM

1,570 posts, read 4,624,565 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, my partner and I currently live in Virginia. I’ve tried relocating with my company however it’s really hard to leave this market; they don’t let anyone go. I decided to put my resume out there and a company with many stores in the SLC area contacted me. I had two interviews and I was offered one of the jobs however I also put in for a position one step higher and may get an offer for that one. I will find out Monday. My partner has been in and actually lived in Salt Lake City for two months a few years ago before we met. We both enjoy the outdoors, we love winter and we love what Salt Lake City has to offer. I am leaving a company that I really saw myself with for the long haul but the idea of somewhere new(we hate my hometown where we currently live) is exciting however scary. We are a younger (34 and 25) gay couple I am white American and he is from Brazil. We will most likely live in the suburbs. Do you think moving away from a job you love to try out a new lifestyle is insane? Do you think a gay couple like us would be ok in the suburbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2020, 09:54 AM

14,433 posts, read 14,365,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
Hey guys, my partner and I currently live in Virginia. I’ve tried relocating with my company however it’s really hard to leave this market; they don’t let anyone go. I decided to put my resume out there and a company with many stores in the SLC area contacted me. I had two interviews and I was offered one of the jobs however I also put in for a position one step higher and may get an offer for that one. I will find out Monday. My partner has been in and actually lived in Salt Lake City for two months a few years ago before we met. We both enjoy the outdoors, we love winter and we love what Salt Lake City has to offer. I am leaving a company that I really saw myself with for the long haul but the idea of somewhere new(we hate my hometown where we currently live) is exciting however scary. We are a younger (34 and 25) gay couple I am white American and he is from Brazil. We will most likely live in the suburbs. Do you think moving away from a job you love to try out a new lifestyle is insane? Do you think a gay couple like us would be ok in the suburbs?
I think you are on the right track. I think you will like Salt Lake. However, instead of living in the suburbs I'd l'd live in Salt Lake City itself. You might google "Sugarhouse" and look for residential listings there. The suburbs are a bit more conservative and I would be less certain how well you would like that and fit in.

Old 07-19-2020, 10:29 AM

229 posts, read 218,737 times
Hello and and good luck in whatever you decide.

I am a gay male and I live in Salt Lake with my husband. Salt Lake area for the most part is really welcoming and the community here is accepting. The city is a good balance of nature and city, I haven’t had an issue and I’ve been here around 10 years. The outdoors can’t be beat and if you do end up coming out here PM me and I can introduce you to some nice guys in the gay community here.

Mike

Old 07-19-2020, 10:31 AM

229 posts, read 218,737 times
Also I live in Sugarhouse and it’s great, but if you are looking into the suburbs A lot of people are starting to call Daybreak “Gaybreak” because a lot of gays have moved out there. It also has direct train access right into the city. If you have anymore questions let me know.

Old 07-19-2020, 09:14 PM

28,122 posts, read 30,041,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
We are a younger (34 and 25) gay couple I am white American and he is from Brazil. We will most likely live in the suburbs. Do you think moving away from a job you love to try out a new lifestyle is insane? Do you think a gay couple like us would be ok in the suburbs?
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I think you are on the right track. I think you will like Salt Lake. However, instead of living in the suburbs I'd l'd live in Salt Lake City itself. You might google "Sugarhouse" and look for residential listings there. The suburbs are a bit more conservative and I would be less certain how well you would like that and fit in.
I agree with Mark, Teebyrd. Perhaps if you could tell us what your main reason for likely wanting to move to the suburbs is, we could give you a little more help. For the most part, the Salt Lake City suburbs are fairly conservative and quite traditional family-oriented. I think other areas might be a better fit. Salt Lake City is, however, from what I've heard, a pretty good place for LGBT couples to settle down.

How you can love winter, on the other hand, is beyond me!

Old 07-21-2020, 09:51 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,047,127 times
To be clear - while Sugarhouse is within SLC city limits, at the time it was built it was essentially "suburbs." It's outside the downtown area (though not far) and overwhelmingly smaller single family houses. There are backyards, front yards, tree-lined streets but also a denser commercial area with multistory apartments. Many cities have older suburbs of similar density. Evanston IL comes to mind. It's not like moving to the Bronx. Sugarhouse also isn't awful suburban sprawl, strip malls and identical houses packed next to each other. My point is, just looking at Sugarhouse you'd probably call it "suburbs." But nobody here does cause it's within city limits.

Sugarhouse is progressive, diverse (for Utah), quirky, interesting and fun. You'd love it.

Last edited by kletter1mann; 07-21-2020 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
View detailed profiles of: