Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 10:06 PM

550 posts, read 2,169,000 times

Advertisements

For the record, at least where I live, most of the Mo-moms (just something I thought up of now) have brown hair, but there are those in existence that have the fake bakes and ultra-yellow hair (not blonde, but yellow).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 12:54 AM

702 posts, read 1,984,079 times
Well most around here, not sure if they are all "mo-moms" have the fake and bake skin, the platinum hair with black roots and the acrylics....lol

Old 07-17-2008, 01:15 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
You should live in SugarHouse - the look here is "Lola Granola," little make-up, natural hair, shorts, etc. Not everyone but for the most part!

Old 07-17-2008, 08:08 AM

I dont mind the makeup and bleached hair. The attitude that goes with it is what I dont like. I have plenty of friends that have that look, I am from Maryland, lol, and they dont act this way. I am going to join the rec center here and see if I can meet new people

Old 07-17-2008, 12:34 PM

421 posts, read 1,741,432 times
Every time I see this blonde thing pop up, I chuckle to myself. I love my dark hair. I have never felt pressure to go blonde, and in fact, blonde hair would look terrible on me. I just don't understand why people think there are so many blondes around. We brunettes are quite well represented too!

Old 07-17-2008, 01:12 PM

I have highlighted brunette hair (red and blonde). I just notice because back home there was an equal amount of every color, including the goth purple stuff. I have never in my life seen so much bleach..lol

Old 07-17-2008, 04:54 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
There were a lot of Scandanavians in the original settlers, so they are over-represented now. Most are fair-haired.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:21 PM

78 posts, read 291,375 times
Just my 2 cents... lol

I can see both sides of the nickel here. I know that there are those that are shunned because they are not LDS, and that makes me sad that people that are representing a church are behaving so badly. THey may not represent the church itself, but people have a hard time distinguishing between "Oh, she acts like that because she is Mormon" and "Oh, she acts like that cause she is a Witch." Plain and simple. Just because a person behaves badly that should not reflect on a group or an organization, but rather on the person themselves.

Now, yes, I am LDS. Am I a "molly" as it is commonly referred to? No. FAR from it. But I do love the LDS church and what it teaches and I believe in it wholeheartedly. I have never not let my children, nor would I ever, not let them play with someone because they are NOT LDS. I would be ashamed of them and myself if that were the case. I have hopefully taught my children to include and be tolerant of everyone. I was bullied and teased alot as a child and know how it felt and how much it hurt, and do not want my children to be the cause of another's tears because they go to a different church, etc. I will say however, that I have been shunned, excluded, ostracized, etc. etc. because I AM LDS. It plays both ways.

I do get tired of the same old same old on these forums..."I'm afraid to move to Utah because we aren't Mormon. Is this gonna cause a problem for my kids, me, etc.?" I feel badly that this is even an issue. I feel like some have let the opinions of others influence their thinking instead of forming their own opinions. Like I've said before, it's only an issue if you make it one. Are some people going to try to convert you? Maybe, but most likely not. Most people are afraid to share with others because we never know how it will be received. I know that for myself, I have never shared what I believe with someone else unless they have asked me first. Are some LDS people in your neighborhood gonna be snobs? Probably, but just because they act like doesn't automatically mean everyone else does too.

Whether the Molly's and the Peter's want to admit it or not, it (shunning) happens within the LDS community as well from member to member. This house isn't as nice, that car isn't as new. She isn't as skinny as me...etc etc. It happens. Do I personally LIKE that it happens...no. Is it the church's fault? I don't believe it is. It's one persons choice to be a snot. Unfortunately, Mom and Dad's attitudes also get handed down to Junior and Sally.

Okay....point is...well. I'm sure you can figure it out haha! Not all Mormons are snobs. Most are very nice people just trying to make a living and raise their kids just like you.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:26 PM

My old neighbor was mormon and she was the best neighbor a person could have. I have a feeling its the youngsters in this development

Old 07-17-2008, 08:12 PM

1,821 posts, read 7,732,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
My old neighbor was mormon and she was the best neighbor a person could have. I have a feeling its the youngsters in this development
That's true. Maybe there is some other common denominator that causes their behavior besides religion. Or, maybe its just bad luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area