Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 04:01 PM

273 posts, read 1,247,966 times

Advertisements

To the OP: When I was an apartment renter in other states, the apartments were always segregated by smoking / non-smoking. That way those of us who choose not to smoke don't have to live in an apartment and put up with the smell. I think in Utah there are so few smokers most landlords would not find it feasable to reserve certain apartments for them, as they would be unrented a fair amount of the time. So charging a fee for smoking seems fairly reasonable. I suggest you not smoke on the balcony but rather go out to the parking lot or some other area away from other apartments. Not fun, but that's the price to be paid by smokers these days. Times are a changin'.

To newtoutah: I think I might have figured out why you are having a hard time with your neighbors and making friends. I am very much not Mormon but I am a ardent non-smoker. I hate cigarette smoke and the smell it leaves and tend to shy away from smokers for that reason. They can be the greatest people but being around them literally makes me nauseus and gives me a headache. Also, the more you differ from Mormon values the more they will tend to avoid you. Smoking is very high on their no-no list. And lastly, I sense a very large chip on your shoulder. You post on these boards looking for a fight and calling names (Ken and Barbie, Snobsville, etc.) I suspect your attitude in real life mimics your internet alter-ego. The more you try to buck the system and fight it, the more problems you will have.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:53 PM

421 posts, read 1,743,319 times
new2utah: the last time I checked, second-hand perfume didn't cause cancer. Second-hand smoke does. That alone is a valid reason to have non-smoking living areas. I'm sensitive to perfumes, and can't stand to be around heavy, musky scents, and I wish people wouldn't use them, but they're not going to kill me.

Also, have you ever tried to get smoke out of an apartment? It permeates everything, from the curtains to the carpet, and even the paint. It requires an entire remodeling to completely eradicate the smell. New flooring, new paint, new window treatments, everything. You might not notice it, since you're around it all the time, but for a non-smoker, even the slightest residue is very obvious (and often, very hard to tolerate). Nobody is trying to take away your right to smoke, but they will defend their right to not breathe it in along with you. Much like nobody is trying to take away legal drinking, but they will defend their right to protect themselves and others from someone who chooses to drink and drive. When your choices threaten the health or life of someone else, that's where your rights end and theirs begin.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:14 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,981,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazcrew View Post
new2utah: the last time I checked, second-hand perfume didn't cause cancer. Second-hand smoke does. That alone is a valid reason to have non-smoking living areas. I'm sensitive to perfumes, and can't stand to be around heavy, musky scents, and I wish people wouldn't use them, but they're not going to kill me.

Also, have you ever tried to get smoke out of an apartment? It permeates everything, from the curtains to the carpet, and even the paint. It requires an entire remodeling to completely eradicate the smell. New flooring, new paint, new window treatments, everything. You might not notice it, since you're around it all the time, but for a non-smoker, even the slightest residue is very obvious (and often, very hard to tolerate). Nobody is trying to take away your right to smoke, but they will defend their right to not breathe it in along with you. Much like nobody is trying to take away legal drinking, but they will defend their right to protect themselves and others from someone who chooses to drink and drive. When your choices threaten the health or life of someone else, that's where your rights end and theirs begin.
That is really true. Also, I don't smoke and I can smell cigarette smoke quite a ways away. I am so sensitive to it that I told my girls when they get older not to try to think they can get away with it and not have me notice.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:44 PM

702 posts, read 1,985,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DP525 View Post
To the OP: When I was an apartment renter in other states, the apartments were always segregated by smoking / non-smoking. That way those of us who choose not to smoke don't have to live in an apartment and put up with the smell. I think in Utah there are so few smokers most landlords would not find it feasable to reserve certain apartments for them, as they would be unrented a fair amount of the time. So charging a fee for smoking seems fairly reasonable. I suggest you not smoke on the balcony but rather go out to the parking lot or some other area away from other apartments. Not fun, but that's the price to be paid by smokers these days. Times are a changin'.

To newtoutah: I think I might have figured out why you are having a hard time with your neighbors and making friends. I am very much not Mormon but I am a ardent non-smoker. I hate cigarette smoke and the smell it leaves and tend to shy away from smokers for that reason. They can be the greatest people but being around them literally makes me nauseus and gives me a headache. Also, the more you differ from Mormon values the more they will tend to avoid you. Smoking is very high on their no-no list. And lastly, I sense a very large chip on your shoulder. You post on these boards looking for a fight and calling names (Ken and Barbie, Snobsville, etc.) I suspect your attitude in real life mimics your internet alter-ego. The more you try to buck the system and fight it, the more problems you will have.
Hmmm...but its ok when someone says biff and buffy??? whateva. And no my attitude is the same outside the internet world. And personally I don't care if one doesn't want to be around me because I smoke. Like I said before, I can't stand to be around perfume but I deal. And I don't have to make anyone like me. I am who I am take it or leave it.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:04 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,232,499 times
Actually, getting the smell out of apartments, houses, etc...isn't that hard to do. Bake vanilla beans ....problem solved. The beans neutralize the odor. I learned that from a smoke damage company that came out to clean 3 apartments I managed. There had been a fire in an upstairs unit, and the smoke damage was horrible.

I tried it in my own home when I was selling, and all the lookey-loos and realtors that came in always commented on how nice it smelled. The vanilla leaves a nice aroma....kinda like fresh baked cookies.

Last edited by VC dreamer; 08-18-2008 at 10:06 PM.. Reason: too wordy

Old 08-18-2008, 11:49 PM

515 posts, read 2,325,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
Ok let me ask u one question..do u drink???? Alcohol is bad for u as well and alot of people drink. Smoking is bad for u yes, but its my decision to do what I want with my body correct??? I fight for smokers rights and thats why I feel so strongly when we get discriminated against.
Yes I drink, but probably not enough that it affects my health. The difference is that moderate alcohol use can actually be a health benefit, but any amount of smoking is harmful. But I don't begrudge anyone's decision to smoke just so long as I don't have to smell it. It's not even the second hand smoke that concerns me - I think you need pretty significant exposure for that to be an issue. I just hate the smell, especially the stale residue left behind after all the traces of smoke are long gone.

I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, but I think it's a joke to use the word "discriminate" and "rights" regarding smoking. Smoking is a choice, unlike discriminating against someone for something they have no control over like race or gender. You have the right to smoke, but not the right to expose anyone else to it. I don't like some of the UT alcohol laws, but I don't feel like I have "rights" which are being violated by them.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:03 AM

I don't believe alcohol is good for you at all. That is just bogus. Its because these people that put out these studies do it so they will make it believable. It is a discrimination issue against smokers nowadays. Are you telling me that if u go to a job interview for instance and u are totally qualified and the interviewer asks if u smoke and u answer truthfully u don't get the job??? But do they ever ask if u drink?? no they don't. Thats because they are all out at lunch breaks drinking their wine and putting me and my family at risk on the roads. I could battle this issue all day long. And to bring up a point that VC made.....It is true, its very simple to get rid of smoke in vehicles homes and so forth. Little known to alot of people besides the vanilla, companies sell this stuff that u just open up (like a defogger) and poof all smells go bye bye.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:03 PM

515 posts, read 2,325,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoutah View Post
I don't believe alcohol is good for you at all. That is just bogus. Its because these people that put out these studies do it so they will make it believable. It is a discrimination issue against smokers nowadays. Are you telling me that if u go to a job interview for instance and u are totally qualified and the interviewer asks if u smoke and u answer truthfully u don't get the job??? But do they ever ask if u drink?? no they don't. Thats because they are all out at lunch breaks drinking their wine and putting me and my family at risk on the roads. I could battle this issue all day long. And to bring up a point that VC made.....It is true, its very simple to get rid of smoke in vehicles homes and so forth. Little known to alot of people besides the vanilla, companies sell this stuff that u just open up (like a defogger) and poof all smells go bye bye.
I don't even think it's legal for an employer to ask about smoking or drinking. Definitely none of their business.

Old 08-19-2008, 06:05 PM

Well trust me it happens. It has happened to me. Just like some around here ask about religion which is bull as well

Old 08-19-2008, 06:15 PM

47 posts, read 156,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
I don't even think it's legal for an employer to ask about smoking or drinking. Definitely none of their business.
Actually, depending on the size of the business (ie: number of employees), they can ask those questions legally. I worked for a small company (18 employees), I took care of the books, payroll, general office duties, etc. The company we purchased health insurance through, which in turn we offered to our employees, gave us different rates depending on how much of our workforce were drinkers and/or smokers. Therefore, after checking on the legality of this (because our company was a private company with under 50 employees) we could ask and require our employees to be non-smokers, otherwise they were not eligible for our benefit package. It seems a bit harsh, however, the rates for the entire company were much more exaggerated if we didn't have this stipulation in place and it was legal. But, alas, that is a bit of the topic of the original thread....sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area