Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 10:26 PM

1,491 posts, read 3,117,488 times

Advertisements

Great job Utah!!! What a stellar performance by the coaching staff and the players against the number four (4) team in the country! What a game and what a year. Enjoy the kudos Utah....you earned it and you deserve it after the year you had!!!

Last edited by urbanlemur; 01-02-2009 at 10:27 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 10:29 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,846,929 times
Yeah, they really whomped Alabama!

Old 01-02-2009, 10:34 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Go Utes! Awesome win!

Old 01-02-2009, 10:44 PM

2,502 posts, read 6,976,157 times
UTAH! UTAH! UTAH! Go Utes!! Congrats to an awesome season!

Now it is gymnastics season! Go Red Rocks!!

Old 01-02-2009, 11:00 PM

550 posts, read 2,169,546 times
Mhmm, the SEC must be very embarrassed right now

Old 01-03-2009, 09:00 AM

273 posts, read 1,247,445 times
The whole BCS is embarrassed right now. How do you answer the question of why Utah was never given a shot at the national title after a perfect season and a win over a team that was ranked number one for a good portion of the season? It is just wrong.

Congrats to the Utes. I love seeing MWC teams spank teams from the "good" conferences.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:54 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,445,026 times
Wink Ask Saban for a Refund

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP525 View Post
The whole BCS is embarrassed right now. How do you answer the question of why Utah was never given a shot at the national title after a perfect season and a win over a team that was ranked number one for a good portion of the season? It is just wrong.

Congrats to the Utes. I love seeing MWC teams spank teams from the "good" conferences.
DP525,

You call Nick Saban and ask him to donate his $22 million left on his guaranteed 8 year contract, so UT can be added somewhere in the BCS. Or, you buy lots of press time defending the ignorant comments/predictions only to be made to look like a fool when UT accomplishes something else.

As posted elsewhere (SL Trib), the easiest thing to do would be to make it the PAC -12, instead of PAC-10. However, Utah could be added to a different conference if necessary.

This was the most important game ever won by a MWC team. Speaks loads about where UT is vs. other teams in the Mtn. West. TCU will be ranked up high, or at least should be.

I loved the comment from the U. OF U. Pres. who said he called the NCAA and offered to fly to Indianapolis to pick up the national title so they didn't have to put themselve out and fly to UT.

Great win Utes. I like Gov. Huntsman's ideas about his innaguration tomorrow and naming the day in honor of the U. of Utah Football Team/Coaches!

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 01-04-2009 at 09:56 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 01-12-2009, 04:40 AM

Thumbs up Transcript of Urban Meyer's Post-Win Press Conference Stating How Good Coach Whittingham & the Utes Really Are!

Still basking in the glory of the Sugar Bowl win, I love Gov. Huntsman's comments during his Inauguration Speech last win, when he honored the Utes Football Team.

Further, I've enjoyed reading a lot about how even President-Elect Obama believes Utah has a legitimate complaint, given that they were the only undefeated major college football team. It seems he has covertly encouraged AG Shurtleff in his investigation of the anti-trust law violations.

I overheard Urban Meyers from his press conference. He essentially announced the arrival of UT on the national scene and told the other coaches UT was the real deal. If you missed that press conference, here is a transcript:

Florida Gators Country

Look for the questions: Q. What does it mean to have your last two programs leading in the AP Poll? and Q. What does it mean to you that Brian Johnson rooted for you last night to the detriment of himself and Utah? And number two, now that it’s over and everything is decided, what kind of claim do they have and would you like a shot at them?

I find Urban's comments interesting. Some of the national commentators are talking about how Coach Whittingham is part of Urban's "dynasty," essentially meaning those Urban Meyer taught/worked with etc. who do some things like he does.

So if Urban thinks Utah is the real deal and better than many BCS schools, does this mean he will fight for UT to be added either by exception or by addition to a different conference? It is important to remember, I believe, two factors. Urban is still looking at being the head coach of Notre Dame some day, per recent media reports. Even though he turned them down to go to FL for now, he wants to be with the Irish. The second factor interesting about N.D., is they are NOT a BCS school by conference. Rather, if my memory is correct, Notre Dame is the only non-BCS school eligible for certain bowl games automatically.

Will Urban suggest a similar solution for UT? I doubt it, but he isn't going to forget the passion this football team has. Look how many players Ronnie Mac put in the NFL. Receivers like Kevin and Andre Dyson, Steve Smith; running backs Mike Anderson and others. And of course Urban speaks about Alex Smith even in this press conference. In reference to Tebow, of course.

I think some may be surprised how many players have come from Utah and how much the program has grown. Part of that is probably due to the Olympics and a larger stadium, then to scholarships like from Steve Smith and his wife for a full football scholarship annually etc. And Alex Smith doesn't forget Utah gave him a chance to play.

Please post what you think of the article and how you perceive the Utes football team in the future.

Thanks,

MSR

Old 01-12-2009, 04:54 AM

Cool Opinion of Former NY Times Sports Reporter about the Utes ..........

This opinion page is too good to pass by.The author, Gordon White, was a sports reporter for the NY Times for over 40 years. He has seen a few things in his time.

Read the opinion of this former NYTimes reporter and what he thinks about AG Shurtleff's actions as well as Sen. Hatch and others regarding the BCS lack of playoff situation.

ThePilot.com : GORDON WHITE: Legal Threat Casts Harsh Light on BCS (http://www.thepilot.com/stories/20090111/sports/sports/20090111WHITECOL.html - broken link)

Please post your responses. As I wrote earlier, Utah has deserved the opportunity to be part of the national discussion. It appears others think so too.

What is your take on this article?

MSR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area