Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area
 [Register]
Salt Lake City area Salt Lake County - Davis County - Weber County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 06:28 AM

1 posts, read 9,010 times

Advertisements

I was offered a job at the new hospital in Park City Utah and Heber and I am looking to possibly live in SLC but I dont know how long the commute is and where I should look to live. Will I get snowed in at Park City in the winter? do i need a truck? please help don't know if i should take the job
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 09:05 AM

183 posts, read 801,586 times
I lived in Sugarhouse and commuted to the Park City area for a while. I lived very close to the 1300 East on ramp and worked near Redstone. I was going against traffic and it normally took me less than twenty minutes to get to work.

Your commute would be longer, given the location of the new hospital. Also, I lived very close to the mouth of the canyon and if you live in another area of Salt Lake, that will add even more time to your commute. Something to keep in mind.

Snow definitely was an issue for me. Luckily, I was in a position to leave the office whenever I felt I needed to get out of there. I always kept an eye on commuterlink so that I could watch the roads and that helped a lot. When it seemed I might get snowed in, I would leave the office early.

I have to admit that I did get stuck in the canyon on more than one occasion and it was very scary. I was driving a little convertible that I loved and had so much trouble that I finally traded it in on a more snow appropriate vehicle. The times I did get stuck were horrible. I was terrified.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:28 AM

835 posts, read 2,076,438 times
The location of the new hospital in Park City makes your commute super easy. Freeway all the way! I have been commuting from East Millcreek to Old town Park City and the most it has taken me is 30 minutes door to door and that includes getting in the parking structure and walking to the shop. I lived up there for 16 years and have never had 4 or all wheel drive. I do have a front wheel drive wagon and use snow tires. The only problems that I have encountered is the freaks that think because they have 4/all wheel drive, that they are 10 feet tall and bullet proof-don't worry, you will see them off in the ditch before the next mile marker. There are the occasional closures but maybe 1 out of 10 are due to snow-usually accidents. I can count on 1 hand the times that the freeway was closed in the 17 winters I have been here.
UDOT does a fantastic job of keeping I80 passable. One theory that I heard quite sometime ago is that amount of sales tax generated in the greater Park City area in the winter is huge-so in order to keep the cash registers ringin, they work hard to keep the freeway open!
I would not hesitate one bit to take that job-getting to have a job, let alone one in a fantastic new facility, is a great thing!

Old 10-07-2009, 10:36 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Are you renting or buying? Price range? We can help you w/that if we have a better idea.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:45 PM

28,091 posts, read 29,952,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_maciag View Post
I was offered a job at the new hospital in Park City Utah and Heber and I am looking to possibly live in SLC but I dont know how long the commute is and where I should look to live. Will I get snowed in at Park City in the winter? do i need a truck? please help don't know if i should take the job
Thanks
My sister lives in Holladay (east side of Salt Lake City) and has commuted to Park City five days a week for nearly 30 years. She told me that she has only had to call in to her work maybe 2 or 3 times in all those years because the roads were too bad for her to make the drive. I don't believe she has ever had to spend the night in Park City due to bad weather. You will definitely need snow tires, though, and I would strongly suggest a four-wheel drive vehicle.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:01 PM

498 posts, read 1,455,615 times
Though it's definitely realistic to do so, I wouldn't recommend commuting to Park City every day. Based off of my experiences, I would dread that drive if I had to do it every day. It's long, windy, and uphill both ways, with so much variation in elevation that my ears pop/ring every time I go to Park City. I love Salt Lake, but if I had a good job in Park City, I'd rather live up there for the time being.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:02 PM

762 posts, read 2,118,198 times
I agree with Lamborgotti. If you take a job in Park City, live at least in Summit County. It's more responsible environmentally and financially, too.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:26 AM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamborgotti View Post
Though it's definitely realistic to do so, I wouldn't recommend commuting to Park City every day. Based off of my experiences, I would dread that drive if I had to do it every day. It's long, windy, and uphill both ways, with so much variation in elevation that my ears pop/ring every time I go to Park City. I love Salt Lake, but if I had a good job in Park City, I'd rather live up there for the time being.
Uphill both ways?? Now that's an interesting suggestion!

It's basically up hill there and downhill back (with a small rise on the way back before hitting the canyon).

I would do that commute daily if there were some compelling reason for me to live in SLC. I love the drive--it's gorgeous. Still, if there were not a reason to live in SLC I would live in Park City (or vicinity). Why commute an hour+ a day if you don't need to? Plus, as mentioned, why spew all that exhaust into the air every day, pay the money for gas, etc?

Old 10-08-2009, 12:38 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Lots of people do it, Summit County is just too expensive for most people.

But Parley's canyon can get really ugly in the winter. Get 4wd and make sure you have a whole lot of patience before you commit.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:48 PM

16 posts, read 40,283 times
I have driven up to Park City and beyond constantly for years and years using only cars like Accords and Passats and I have never had a problem. If the canyon is going to be bad it is usually so bad that even 4WD won't help you. They keep Parleys canyon pretty well shoveled and Park City even more so. Since you aren't going somewhere rural I wouldn't worry about having 4WD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Utah > Salt Lake City area