Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 01:33 PM

512 posts, read 1,564,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
If they banned it in bars, I might go more often! .
Oh, look at me, I'm so concerned for my health and the health of others. So it's ok to go to a bar and drink till your liver falls out, and then drive home killing a family of 3 in a minivan, but at least those 3 dead people and your pancreatic cancer care provider won't smell like smoke God forbid! How can you vilify one harmful habit while Simultaneously embracing an equally dangerous one? I don't approve or disapprove of either habit, but get a grip man, you're in a bar for Gods sake, it's not exactly a temple dedicated to your health in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 01:37 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,045,275 times
... not to mention that drinking and smoking often go hand-in-hand......

Old 06-10-2010, 02:37 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,732,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
... not to mention that drinking and smoking often go hand-in-hand......
you can add sex to your sentence.....when will the madness stop?

Old 06-10-2010, 04:12 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,406,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgepl View Post
Oh, look at me, I'm so concerned for my health and the health of others. So it's ok to go to a bar and drink till your liver falls out, and then drive home killing a family of 3 in a minivan, but at least those 3 dead people and your pancreatic cancer care provider won't smell like smoke God forbid! How can you vilify one harmful habit while Simultaneously embracing an equally dangerous one? I don't approve or disapprove of either habit, but get a grip man, you're in a bar for Gods sake, it's not exactly a temple dedicated to your health in the first place.

UM, FIRST OF ALL. I don't drink alcohol OR smoke and I have NEVER done drugs. SO WHERE DID YOU GET THIS DRINKING PART FROM ALL OF A SUDDEN AND OUT OF THE BLUE?

You say:
>>>
How can you vilify one harmful habit while Simultaneously embracing an equally dangerous one?
<<<<

UM, WHAT???? WHEN DID I EVER "embrace" drinking????????

POINT IT OUT FOR ME PLEASE! Sorry, but you're wrong. I never "embraced" one and not the other, nor did i ever embrace drinking.

You say:

>>I don't approve or disapprove of either habit, but get a grip man, you're in a bar for Gods sake, it's not exactly a temple dedicated to your health in the first place.
<<

True, AND THAT'S WHY, THE LAST TIME I'VE BEEN TO A BAR was TWO YEARS AGO. And even then it was ONE NIGHT and before then the last time I went to a bar before that was A YEAR BEFORE THEN. THAT WAS MY CHOICE OBVIOUSLY! I don't expect a bar to be a "temple" of health. NO ONE DOES.

First, don't assume someone is a drinker because I am not. And second, THE REASON I DON'T GO TO BARS is "NOT" just because of smoking...it's other reasons which would take this thread off topic so don't tell me it's not a temple of health. DUH. That's why I've only gone to bars maybe 2 or 3 times in the past 3 years! But you obviously wanted to fill-in-the blanks with your imagination thinking all these things about how it is for me.

WRONG!!

Last edited by xsa210tx; 06-10-2010 at 04:25 PM..

Old 06-10-2010, 04:27 PM

431 posts, read 1,203,924 times
Quote:
"How can you vilify one harmful habit while Simultaneously embracing an equally dangerous one?"

There is nothing equal within your argument whatsoever. Smoking does NOT equal drinking. Drinking does NOT equal driving drunk. And I might as well include that smoking does NOT equal driving drunk either (since you said they were all equally dangerous).

And when being near someone consuming an alcoholic beverage, you don't have the issue of second-hand inebriation, unlike the harm of being around someone with a cig in his/her mouth...

Old 06-10-2010, 06:02 PM

18,126 posts, read 25,272,176 times
Playing devil's advocate again:
"If they take our right to smoke in a bar, the next thing is going to be prohibition in the city (ban alcohol)"

Old 06-10-2010, 06:37 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,045,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
you can add sex to your sentence.....when will the madness stop?
Oh yeah, and then lets not forget chocolates....

Old 06-10-2010, 06:54 PM

77 posts, read 221,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heimerswt View Post
And when being near someone consuming an alcoholic beverage, you don't have the issue of second-hand inebriation, unlike the harm of being around someone with a cig in his/her mouth...
That's the key argument here. If you smoke near me you damage my health. Therefore I have a say when it comes to your actions.

If you drink near me, but are responsible with your plans to get home, you pose no risk to my health. Therefore I have no right to tell you want to do.

It's an extension from the proposition posed by Oliver Wendell Holmes, "The right to swing my fist ends where the other man's nose begins."

I'm a big fan of laws banning smoking indoors in public areas. I'm against laws banning smoking on private property. I used to live in FL when they passed a similar law. I got so used to it that I hated leaving the state because I now had to put up with smokers right next to me at the bar or restaurant. San Antonio isn't the first location to create these laws, and written correctly it benefits everyone.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:44 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,325,635 times
Quote:
Darn it! I rep'd you when I meant to hit "qoute!" please ignore what I'm sure is it the only rep point for your post

Smoking causes harm to others! Drinking doesn't. Just cuz someone goes to a bar doesn't mean that they will drive drunk.

Many smokers smoke often, different times of day, every day. I drink, but I drink maybe twice a month.... and ONE drink at that... and even then, I won't drive! If I want to go to a bar and have a nice cold glass of Guiness and get out of the house and enjoy conversation with friends, I don't actually want to have to shower and throw my clothes immediately in the washing machine to prevent my whole bedroom from stinking.

People smoke at their own risk. Smoke yourself into a horrible death... be my guest. I have no issue with smokers. They contribute a lot of money to taxes, and help tobacco farmers and chemical manufacturers stay in business. But I also support people's right to breath air that isn't filled with someone else's exhaled carcinogens and stench.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:31 AM

512 posts, read 1,564,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
UM, FIRST OF ALL. I don't drink alcohol OR smoke and I have NEVER done drugs. SO WHERE DID YOU GET THIS DRINKING PART FROM ALL OF A SUDDEN AND OUT OF THE BLUE?

You say:
>>>
How can you vilify one harmful habit while Simultaneously embracing an equally dangerous one?
<<<<

UM, WHAT???? WHEN DID I EVER "embrace" drinking????????

POINT IT OUT FOR ME PLEASE! Sorry, but you're wrong. I never "embraced" one and not the other, nor did i ever embrace drinking.

You say:

>>I don't approve or disapprove of either habit, but get a grip man, you're in a bar for Gods sake, it's not exactly a temple dedicated to your health in the first place.
<<

True, AND THAT'S WHY, THE LAST TIME I'VE BEEN TO A BAR was TWO YEARS AGO. And even then it was ONE NIGHT and before then the last time I went to a bar before that was A YEAR BEFORE THEN. THAT WAS MY CHOICE OBVIOUSLY! I don't expect a bar to be a "temple" of health. NO ONE DOES.

First, don't assume someone is a drinker because I am not. And second, THE REASON I DON'T GO TO BARS is "NOT" just because of smoking...it's other reasons which would take this thread off topic so don't tell me it's not a temple of health. DUH. That's why I've only gone to bars maybe 2 or 3 times in the past 3 years! But you obviously wanted to fill-in-the blanks with your imagination thinking all these things about how it is for me.

WRONG!!
Oh, look at me, now I'm all self-Righteous and angry. Get a grip, Son.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio