Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 04:51 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,884,865 times

Advertisements

I love Copelands and am excited we are getting one soon. Its going in by the shopping center on 281 with BJ's, CHilis, Target, Hobby Lobby, and the ALamo Draft House...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 07:16 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,556,142 times
maaaaaaybe I'll check it out ~ IIIIIIIFFFFFF they open it up in a skyscraper. If. Just sayin.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:54 PM

23 posts, read 65,210 times
at least in Louisiana, Copeland's destroys Pappadeaux's. Hopefully, this one is just as good!

Old 07-07-2010, 10:25 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpope22 View Post
at least in Louisiana, Copeland's destroys Pappadeaux's. Hopefully, this one is just as good!
I don't believe Pappadeaux is in Louisiana.

I remember, though, when Copeland's closed in Houston. I also remember when Ralph & Kacoo's closed. Neither were very popular--something a bit baffling to me as a Houstonian considering Houston's deep-seated Creole/Cajun culinary influences from being so close to Louisiana.

Of course, nothing can compare to the original Landry's. Not the bastardization of the brand that you see today, but the Landry Family owned restaurants--Don's, Willie G's, Landry's...mmmm....

Old 07-08-2010, 06:23 PM

151 posts, read 299,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I don't believe Pappadeaux is in Louisiana.

I remember, though, when Copeland's closed in Houston. I also remember when Ralph & Kacoo's closed. Neither were very popular--something a bit baffling to me as a Houstonian considering Houston's deep-seated Creole/Cajun culinary influences from being so close to Louisiana.

Of course, nothing can compare to the original Landry's. Not the bastardization of the brand that you see today, but the Landry Family owned restaurants--Don's, Willie G's, Landry's...mmmm....

You're right. They're only in Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Beaumont, Atlanta, Chicago, Denver and Phoenix. Any city in Louisiana would probably laugh them out of town.

Old 07-08-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alane7 View Post
You're right. They're only in Houston, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, Beaumont, Atlanta, Chicago, Denver and Phoenix. Any city in Louisiana would probably laugh them out of town.
Why do you think so?

Old 07-09-2010, 02:42 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,603 times
Much better product. They would be competing with many other local restaurants that serve a higher quality product.

Kind of like comparing a PF Changs to an actual chinese restaurant.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Why do you think so?
Being a native of New Orleans I can tell you the people that live there eat at the more modest, down home places that actually DO have fresh seafood and forgo the gouge-your-eyes-out-prices. It's the tourists that go to places like Pappa's chain of restaraunts.

It's just like here. Most people have their favorite little hole in the wall Mexican place and can't stand places like Alamo Cafe or Chuy's with their version of Tex-Mex that brings to mind school cafeteria style enchiladas.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alane7 View Post
Being a native of New Orleans I can tell you the people that live there eat at the more modest, down home places that actually DO have fresh seafood and forgo the gouge-your-eyes-out-prices. It's the tourists that go to places like Pappa's chain of restaraunts.

It's just like here. Most people have their favorite little hole in the wall Mexican place and can't stand places like Alamo Cafe or Chuy's with their version of Tex-Mex that brings to mind school cafeteria style enchiladas.
Hm, I guess we have different observations. Of course every city has their modest, down-home places that are favorites. In Houston, because it is where George Pappas started his awesome chain, Pappadeaux is near and dear to hearts there. The food is so good that they chose to expand. I don't see Pappadeaux as ANY kind of touristy ANYTHING...sorry...! I really don't see Chuy's as touristy either. Not sure where you get that idea at all.

In fact, if you think Pappadeaux, Alamo Cafe, Chuy's and the like are touristy and overpriced, you should probably lump Copeland's in the same category. Let's see...a family chain, still in the original family, with prices that seem to be similar for comparable food offerings...hmm.

I don't get your point, I guess. It sounds like to me you just like it b/c it is from New Orleans. Okay--that's cool. I love NOLA. But I have PLENTY of friends from LA that LOVE Pappadeaux. Love it, love it, love it! As far as regional cooking, they really nail the SW Louisiana flavor and feel. Reminds me of the old Landry's from the 80s. For me, personally, it simply reminds me of home. Maybe that's what Copeland's means to you as well? I don't know. What I do know is, the dishes on the menu at Pappadeaux just seem in a different league as Copeland's. I also know Houston, being in the league of restaurants they are, that when a restaurant doesn't make it, it's for good reason, considering the competition. That doesn't mean I won't ever eat at Copeland's, but I know what to expect when I go in. It ain't Pappadeaux OR the original Pappas!

Old 07-09-2010, 09:48 AM

For the record, I never mentioned Copeland's. I have never had it. My point was with Pappadeauxs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio