Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 11:27 AM

246 posts, read 433,686 times

Advertisements

Huge problem here also. (Monticello Park, Woodlawn lake area)

I think the lake is a favorite dumping site.

I have complained every time I talk to my councilman (Justin Rodriguez) but all they want to do is keep people from smoking at pool halls.

All this talk about a "no-Kill" animal shelter is a JOKE. I guess they won't have to kill any animals if they don't pick any up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2010, 11:46 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macbillybob View Post
Huge problem here also. (Monticello Park, Woodlawn lake area)

I think the lake is a favorite dumping site.

I have complained every time I talk to my councilman (Justin Rodriguez) but all they want to do is keep people from smoking at pool halls.

All this talk about a "no-Kill" animal shelter is a JOKE. I guess they won't have to kill any animals if they don't pick any up.

I walked my dogs to the lake often so I know what you mean.

I have heard that SA kills more pets than NY. I don't know if it is true but hear it a lot.

yeah you need to change the entire thinking of the city, it seems that almost everyone thinks its okay. talking to one councilman is useless. They don't care

Old 07-10-2010, 11:50 AM

51 posts, read 92,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I have heard that SA kills more pets than NY. I don't know if it is true but hear it a lot.
NY city or NY State? I assume you mean NY City, which is probably true just for the simple fact that New York is a ubran jungle with not as many pet owners because of rules (buildings not allowing pets) or property issues (backyards).

Houston I would assume kills more than NYC as well. Dallas, Phoenix, LA, Miami, etc.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metromansa View Post
NY city or NY State? I assume you mean NY City, which is probably true just for the simple fact that New York is a ubran jungle with not as many pet owners because of rules (buildings not allowing pets) or property issues (backyards).

Houston I would assume kills more than NYC as well. Dallas, Phoenix, LA, Miami, etc.
don't know the stats, but what I heard was that SA was number one for kills, even more than NYC. I have also heard that Houston kills a lot. Have not heard about other cities kill number

Old 07-10-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:

This site says SA is number one Houston is number two:
Animal Groups Believe Spay and Neuter is the Answer for City's Euthanization Problem

Old 07-10-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I'll be sure to email that to myself living in 2005. Because it's relevant.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I'll be sure to email that to myself living in 2005. Because it's super relevant.
you do that. especially since SA is a city living in the past.

I told you I had heard it from someone, that was just a link that seemed to back up what I have heard.

But for a metro area of approx 2million people, that is a lot of kills.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
you do that. especially since SA is a city living in the past.

I told you I had heard it from someone, that was just a link that seemed to back up what I have heard.

But for a metro area of approx 2million people, that is a lot of kills.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:20 PM

522 posts, read 1,132,761 times
i'm finding it hard to get solid up to date figures on how many estimated strays/loose dogs and how many euthanizations there are. a pamphlet on the sa gov website gave the stats 32,000 animals euthanized in 2007 by acs. the unfortunate joke we say when trying to find stats for these things is "too many. we lost count."

i can't recall how many acs officers sa employs but the ratio of complaints and number of strays or animal care offenses to number of officers is way skewed.

the comparison to other cities is fairly accurate. san antonio seems like this perfect series of factors that make the problem so rampant.

once again, i attest that killing them off doesn't solve the problem. unfortunately, it seems like a near impossible task to accomplish the alternative: getting residents to take charge of their animals (and stop the illegitimate sale of puppies/kittens.) you can educate the population, you can toss FREE services int their face, but unless they get off their duff and apply it, it won't make a difference.

Old 07-10-2010, 04:57 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,885 times
I know it sounds cruel but I don't see any need for us to become a "no kill" city.

If I were in charge...if any dog or cat is found without a TAG on it showing its owners name, address or some contact info...the animal gets sent to the pound the same day to be euthanized!

Yes, I know it sounds cruel but that's how I feel. I would also make it a requirement for ALL DOGS to be on a leash and tied to a tree or item at all times IF your home does not have a completely-closed in fence to protect people when they walk by your home.

Also, when neighbors complain about annyoying and loud-barking dogs...those complaints SHOULD be addressed. I've complained to 311 about my neighbors and her loud dogs which bark all the time. I've probably called 311 5 times about this and I will keep calling.

Unfortunately, so many in our city don't give a dang about their pets and just get them because they're so cute and cuddly and after awhile, they get rid of them because they tire of having to buy dog food and be a responsible pet owner like they should be!

When 1 in 5 Texas children go hungry everyday in my state, this issue is at the bottom of the priority list for me.

Euthanize them when caught; clean up our streets from all these strays!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio