Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 02:35 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,077 times

Advertisements

This is the most underrated part of the SA metro area. Why has that area not boom like the rest of the metro. This area has the best soil and is extremely beautiful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 03:19 PM

59 posts, read 152,383 times
Thanks for the great observations imaterry. I have many times thought about moving to that side of town. You cannot beat the land prices with a stick. Just recently I found a 25 acre tract for sale, with a house on it, for under $225k. All be it, the house was old, and it was our intention to raze/rebuild, but what kept us away was actually the lack of economic development. I know the schools are great out that way, but it's just too far from the city creature comforts we're used to. Maybe now is the good time to get in before things change.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:28 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,604,491 times
It has not boomed yet because the land to the north has hills and trees, while the land south is largely fields and scrub brush. There are small creeks to the north and little but stock tanks to the south.

Economic growth has been to the north and the small towns in the hill country, so there has been little to encourage migration south until recently. "Cheap" land is becoming more scarce to the north and further away from the major business districts. The commute to work is becoming longer and more crowded now, so I foresee a shift to a new area in the near future.

If you want to be staged for the next growth spurt (5-25 yrs) I really think south is the way to go, but then 20 years ago I thought there would have been more than there is by now.

I made my bet on Bastrop County, east of Austin for many of the same reasons I believe in South Bexar County. I had a job that was keeping me near Austin at the time I had the money and a need to build a home, so I made my home near Webberville rather than Floresville, Elmendorf, Somerset or Atascosa.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:14 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,001,693 times
It all depends on what you think booming is.

Floresville and La Vernia are growing pretty fast. There are at least 40 subdivisions between the two cities that are under construction. The only difference is the lots are larger and almost all have tight restrictions. They are all pretty much in the Oak forest between LA Vernia and Floresville on 775. La vernia has a few multi-family projects going on. HEB has a nice store in Floresville and is building one in LA Vernia as I type this. It will never grow as fast as the north because if im not mistaken Wilson County will not grant permits for subdivisions that have lots smaller than a 1/4 of an acre unless inside a city limit. Also the homes tend to be custom and defiantly not for first time buyers.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:28 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
We love Floresville. It is so adorable! Lots of potential.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:38 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,825,817 times
La Vernia is too close in ! I like Floresville and their little indoor theater is open. Daughter and her hub just got back and out of home just south of Floresville. Big mistake!! Nice little town mostly!

Old 04-23-2010, 04:38 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,825,373 times
Just bought a nice piece of heavily-treed land in Eden Crossing. It's probably half-way between Floresville and La Vernia. Can't wait until we can start building--probably within the next couple of years. Not looking forward to having a bigger commute than I do now (work at Lackland, currently about 7 miles away) but am looking forward to having a larger lot for my home and being away from all the development and crowdedness of the city. Also, the tighter community restrictions I will not have a problem with at all.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:56 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
There's usually many factors for that to happen
The main one is, growth follows investment in infrastructure.
If there are bad roads, not clean water, not electrical infrastructure, nobody invests there.

Another reason could be that the area is more likely to have polluted water, among many others.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:06 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,046,678 times
Stockdale is on my favorites list, too!

Old 04-25-2010, 10:07 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,077 times
I am glad the land is still cheap there. I hope someone would open a Polish, Czech or German restaurant there to go along with the beautiful fertile scenery there. Elmendorf could develop also since it is near the lake
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio