Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 01:13 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,425,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
Because they can be used to replenish nutrients in the soil. The soil in a dump isnt terribly useful for much else. Compost can be used (either given away to any resident who partakes in the program or sold to cover the cost of picking it up and working it). It's a way to re-use all your organic waste in a beneficial way.

As I said, we use compost on our garden and trees. I don't make enough compost to avoid buying any dirt, but it works as an amazing natural fertilizer. Not everyone has need for it in their own yards, but can surely contribute to creating it.

In effect, organics which go to the dump are wasted. Organics which go into a compost are re-used.

And I must confess, I find it totally fascinating when I dump a bunch of peels into my compost bin and a few months later have luscious black beautiful soil.
I am a 100% believer in the power of a compost-fertilized lawn. We had about 1/4 of our neighborhood compost their lawns early this spring, and my goodness, what a difference NOW compared to their non-compost neighbors' yards. I never saw such lush grass since we moved here. We used Turf Builder, which was okay but not anything like compost. We'll definitely be using it next spring. Dark green and non-patchy...gorgeous!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 07:41 PM

522 posts, read 1,133,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Forget recyclables, I totally understand that.

Why shouldnt organics go to the dump? Don't they just end up in the soil anyway?
there's a difference between a landfill and a compost pile. landfills are usually sealed and treated to prevent contamination. by removing organic waste from the garbage and putting it into a compost program, you minimize how much refuse goes into landfills, and are able to reuse more material (in this case, organic garbage to compost and then reuse).

i know sorting is an extremely laborious task. my hometown has a "one bin" system and has this huge facility which sorts out all recyclables and compostables (not hazardous material though, that still needs to be returned by the customer to drop off locations) from regular refuse. i have seen the operation they had there, and even though there are machines that do a lot of sorting, the vast majority of it is done by hand. i am actually not sure what sa's system is. does anyone have specific info on the swm facilities and process?

Old 09-10-2010, 08:04 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,793,283 times
The trash and recycle bins I can do, no problem.

However, I find the green bin a bit excessive. I have my doubts that this will work well at this point.

If I was that serious about composting organic waste which I am not, then I would do it for the benefit of my own lawn.

Now we are going to see people putting three bins in front of their garages.

The only way i would support this is if the green bin is optional meaning those that don't want it don't have to get it. (Not because they compost already, but they don't want the hassle of the third bin) This way we don't waste a lot of money buying more bins that may or may not get used. Maybe it is optional already, but that isn't the impression I get.

Old 09-10-2010, 09:50 PM

134 posts, read 385,159 times
I'm looking forward to the green bin! We do some composting but it would be nice when we have more than we can deal with to not have to put it in the trash. I find composting a bit tedious really with keeping the right ratio of dry and wet compostables so I'll be happy to give it to the city to deal with when I don't feel like it. Also with all the trees we have, I will have plenty of brush to go in them.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:41 AM

2,260 posts, read 5,622,824 times
egeorge, I'm like you - I'd rather let the city deal with composting.

We too have lots of big trees which means lots of little branches and leaves all the time. It'll be nice to be able to dispose of them right at the house instead of having to drive them someplace.

I hope they make the compost available for free for people who take part in the program - our weeds in the backyard will love it!

Old 09-11-2010, 05:58 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,145,801 times
One of the complaints that people have had about the bin system is that it was no longer possible to put out a large number of bags of yard waste with the regular trash, since the official curbside disposal solution is to put yard waste in the brown trash bin. Now it will be possible to put yard waste in a bin that should be less crowded than the trash bin.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:00 PM

160 posts, read 526,328 times
Wishful thinking - I wish our current automated carts were smaller, and that both would be picked up on the same day - twice a week. That would help with the bad smells from the trash can in the garage. The plus side is that if you forget to put the can out on trash day, the truck will come around again in a couple of days. No worries, and no smell!

Old 09-12-2010, 07:33 AM

1,314 posts, read 3,181,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goominim View Post
Wishful thinking - I wish our current automated carts were smaller...
You can trade your large carts for smaller ones by calling the City (311).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Why shouldnt organics go to the dump? Dont they just end up in the soil anyway?
Because it costs the city more to bury it in a landfill than it will to compost it, plus it fills-up the landfill faster. Most of the same cost-based reasons why recycling is beneficial also apply to organic wastes.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,145,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post
Some of my neighbors have done that. There seem to be two types of smaller bins. There is a version that is shorter that takes up the same amount for floor space and there is a version that is the same height, with less width and depth.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:29 PM

160 posts, read 526,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexHwyMan View Post

That's interesting. I wasn't aware of that. Unfortunately, that would only work for us if they picked the carts up twice as often. Our carts are both pretty full on pickup day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio