Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 02:27 AM

927 posts, read 1,390,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
I have a deep-seated...I'll say it...hatred for the Alamodome. It's just a colossal waste of real estate and money. It's also butt-ugly, and I agree that the walk in from the parking is ridiculously convoluted.
So instead of complaining and ragging on the place, do you have any useful suggestions as to what could be done to improve the building?

Mine is to simply tear the thing down and put up another, much better Dome. But, this time I would not commit to building anything even remotely that big unless and until an NFL team commits to coming to the city. That way you avoid building another boondoggle.

Ed Roski, the Los Angeles developer, is doing the same thing in LA. He will build an NFL quality stadium there only, and only when an NFL team commits to moving there. Wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 03:39 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
So instead of complaining and ragging on the place, do you have any useful suggestions as to what could be done to improve the building?

Mine is to simply tear the thing down and put up another, much better Dome. But, this time I would not commit to building anything even remotely that big unless and until an NFL team commits to coming to the city. That way you avoid building another boondoggle.

Ed Roski, the Los Angeles developer, is doing the same thing in LA. He will build an NFL quality stadium there only, and only when an NFL team commits to moving there. Wise.
The last thing we need is another dome but then again I am not a fan of sports, home & garden shows, or monster truck rallies.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:33 AM

927 posts, read 1,390,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
The last thing we need is another dome but then again I am not a fan of sports, home & garden shows, or monster truck rallies.
No one needs a Dome. We're not talking about livers here. But if San Antonio ever wants to enjoy the benefits of major league sports a new building will have to be built by someone. Whether its an intrepid owner out there or the taxpayers it matters not to me.

And if San Antonio ever wants to be considered a major city or a "great" city as some propose, major league franchises are required as mandatory big city amenities. Someone name me one "great" city that does not have either NFL football or MLB or both there.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:43 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,582,338 times
Quote:

Agree. Get rid of it.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:52 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,330,165 times
We don't need a major league team paid for by tax payers so that rich fatcats can watch. All the hype that a stadium aids the local economy has not held up. The locals get more janitorial jobs.

However, a funny thing - I was eating in Brassiere Pavil and overheard a conversation of two high end real estate types. They talking about how Ruth Chris' got snookered to build in Sunset Station. All kinds of projections about business. Those were wrong. However, the lease was such that they couldn't get out of it without horrendous penalties.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:07 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Quote:

What's wrong with ragging on the place? Nothing. Just because someone doesn't like something doesn't mean they have to come up with something else.

Build another dome right there? Look, part of the main issue with the Alamodome is that unless you can buy up all the surrounding property so proper parking can be built, NOTHING will save any venue there from failing miserably. The size of the dome is another problem. It's just....dinky.

I think the best thing that can be done with it is to tear it down and create a sweet little minor league ballpark for the Missions. One that is pedestrian friendly to get to downtown, and one that has a nifty parking garage instead of a giant parking lot. EMBRACE the minor league team rather than relegating them to the west side. This is an idea that could create a big impact on tourists as well as residents.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:22 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Mine is to simply tear the thing down and put up another, much better Dome.
I guarantee that is cheaper to just rent the Alamodome to a MLS team than to blow it up. Besides that, there would be profits.

But for some reason, people in San Antonio think that the only options are to keep on losing tax money or to spend millions building a new bigger Alamodome that will end up without an NFL team again.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:50 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,885 times
I guess I'm the only one who loves my Alamodome lol

Old 09-26-2010, 10:53 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,582,338 times
^No, I knew this guy from Mexico City that thought it was the most amazing thing in San Antonio.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:55 AM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post
I guess I'm the only one who loves my Alamodome lol
.....Henry..........is that you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio