Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 05:25 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodLu View Post
I recall a time when I was a young kid and I actually really did truly think that racism was an archaic thing that had actually died-out way back in the past. Back in the early 60s, say.....
There's always going to be some hateful talk of some people against others (scapegoating).

But there's people that have hate against every single person that belongs to certain groups and after you talk to them, you can tell that that's just the way they are and are never going to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 05:44 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Agreed, just because people are jerks to some doesn't necessarily make them racists to all.

I'm sorry that people have had these kinds of negative experiences in our great city, I honestly have never witnessed such actions nor have I known anyone who has. I still believe that the racial issue is of less concern here than most cities this size, it goes against the grain of most San Antonians who are friendly, welcoming and accepting of most by nature. That's not to say that these kinds of situations don't occur, but I have to agree with Dopo on that they are in a small minority and overall San Antonio has a very relaxed racial atmosphere.

Old 10-07-2010, 01:18 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,713,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
There's always going to be some hateful talk of some people against others (scapegoating).

But there's people that have hate against every single person that belongs to certain groups and after you talk to them, you can tell that that's just the way they are and are never going to change.
Agreed, sir. You're right.......

"You can't fix what you don't acknowledge." -something I have heard for years here and there

Old 10-07-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodLu View Post
"You can't fix what you don't acknowledge." -something I have heard for years here and there
Funny, what I've always heard was "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Geez, some people act like this is Rock Ridge, and that there's some sort of rampant racism going on!

Sorry, but that paint's the wrong picture; the the condescending attitude that people just won't acknowledge it is pure ignorance as well.

If it was as bad as some claim, then there would be reports of hate crimes here would be much higher than they are.

The latest FBI stats I could find were from 2008, but I don't think they've risen dramatically in the past two years. As you can see by this table (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/hc2008/data/table_13tx.html - broken link), there were six hate crimes reported for a metro area of 1,351,244 people:

Quote:
  • 2 x Race
  • 1 x Religion
  • 2 x Sexual orientation
  • 2 x Ethnicity
  • 0 x Disability
Not the numbers one would expect if there was such rampant racism going on now, are they?

It's funny how this topic pops up every once and a while, like this thread from three-and-a-half years ago; but there's never been any definitive proof of widespread racism or other bigotry here.

Add to that the large influx of new residents and the steady stream of visitors to San Antonio, you'd think those folks wouldn't be hightailing it to get here if it was such a problem. But they are, because it isn't.

Cheers! M2

Old 10-07-2010, 02:21 PM

Respectfully, major, you can keep posting a million stats ad infinitum.....but in the end they are still no replacement for the Personal Life's Experience others have had, sir.....

Sure, often so many different things indeed can be worse, I realize.....but WHY should anyone want things to be worse?

P.S. Not everyone blindly-believes nor blindly-agrees with so many of these studies, as you know.......

Last edited by RodLu; 10-07-2010 at 02:38 PM..

Old 10-07-2010, 02:37 PM

Based on your "Personal Life's Experience" logic, I once tripped over a crack in the sidewalk in San Antonio; so that means the entire city is full of walking dangers?

That's the same thing as a few people experiencing what they claim is a racially-driven incident, thus the entire metro area of 1.5+ millions people are labeled as "racists."

Sorry, there's no logic in that; and I challenge anyone to provide evidence that contradicts the belief that there is no widespread racism in this city.

Isolated incidents don't change the fact that SA has very few race issues. It's that simple.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Based on your "Personal Life's Experience" logic, I once tripped over a crack in the sidewalk in San Antonio; so that means the entire city is full of walking dangers?

That's the same thing as a few people experiencing what they claim is a racially-driven incident, thus the entire metro area of 1.5+ millions people are labeled as "racists."

Sorry, there's no logic in that; and I challenge anyone to provide evidence that contradicts the belief that there is no widespread racism in this city.

Isolated incidents don't change the fact that SA has very few race issues. It's that simple.
Well, I suppose you can wait for someone who actually has the time and desire to take you up on your challenge then....... {rolls eyes}

*sigh*

Old 10-07-2010, 03:50 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default Of course there is racism here in San Antonio,

It would be ridiculous to contemplate that there isn't. I imagine you've never been at the receiving end of any incidents ? Can you not even identify with someone who has experienced it ? Has lived with it?
I think you are a newcomer to this city- it is everywhere. I wished it weren't but I can testify that racism is. Maybe you are not that way, and you cannot imagine it to be so, but it is so.
Ask around a little bit, ask some people, interview for your sources
and you will get a different answer than murder statistics give.
San Antonio has less degreed persons than any other city its' size,
ignorance is everywhere.

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post

Old 10-07-2010, 06:31 PM

21 posts, read 60,505 times
Some of these arguments are really absurd and I can only believe that someone posting something like “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” is simply doing it to get a rise out of others. Using this statement is in essence saying some racism and racist comments are okay. Sadly, this sounds like something a person would have said in the 50’s regarding segregation.
Secondly, I don’t believe that anyone on this thread said that the city is running rampant with racists; just that racism does exist, like it does everywhere. Please try to read the entire thread and not add stuff from your own imagination. Yes, this is a great city, but like every city there are problems and just saying they don’t exist does not mean it is true.
And one last thing, whether it is one racist comment or action or racist comments or actions made every day it is still racism when it is made simply based on the race of a person or group of people. Just because a person has a friend or in-law that is black, white, Hispanic, Mexican or any other race or nationality does not mean they are not racists. A person may usually have no problem with nationality or race, but as soon as they pick that to focus upon and to make comments or perform action against they become racists.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:33 AM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
I complete agree, dtom. No one is saying that San Antonio is rampantly racist or just as racist as some other cities with race issues, we are just acknowledging that it does exist here. For someone to say that there is no racism in San Antonio is just preposterous. There are racists everywhere. Maybe some of you aren't in a normally targeted group, so that's why you have never experienced racism here. You can't speak for other people's experiences.

majormadmax, I am a stats person, but those stats don't say anything about the amount of racism in an area. Calling someone a racist term or giving someone poor service because they have a certain skin color is not a crime. Most Ku Klux Klan members today don't even commit hate crimes, but they are still racist and legally display their racism in public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio