Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 10:13 AM

4,358 posts, read 7,262,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Just an FYI (didnt see this when originally posted) but there is no such thing as "too many tvs for a dish set up"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
How so? The maximum number of LNBs on a dish is 4. Without a 5th LNB, a 5th TV would be stuck watching the same show that one of the other 4 tuners was tuned to. If someone doesn't want to pay for a second dish, they're limited to tuning 4 shows at a time on their system.

I ran into that limitation during the brief time I had Dish Network back in the 90s, when the limit on LNBs was 2.
Actually, the satellite TV providers have switches that can be used to expand capacity in installations where there are more tuners on an account than the LNBs in a single dish can support.

However, if I'm not mistaken, there is a limit to the number of "tuners" the satellite companies will allow on one account (some receivers have two tuners), to discourage customers from "stacking" receivers that are not located at their residence onto their account (a violation of their TOS). I think Dish Network allows up to six tuners on a single residential account, but I'm not positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 11:10 AM

5 posts, read 6,661 times
Stay away from HUGHESNET. This satellite ISP was the biggest rip off I have encountered in years.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULAK View Post
Stay away from HUGHESNET. This satellite ISP was the biggest rip off I have encountered in years.
HUGHESNET is actually intended for rural areas that otherwise would not have access to high-speed internet.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:07 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,825,961 times
As for bundles, you're stuck in a city that's mostly owned by TWC and the rest if gobbled up by AT&T/Grande. It's a lot like voting in the last few Presidential elections: It's the lesser of the evils when it comes to who you go with. Nobody really wins.

While I have DirecTV (and have been very happy with it), I know folks here in town who have gone the trailblazer-route and dropped all cable in favor of the new Roku digital media box. I've got two myself and love them: They can stream Hulu, Netflix and a variety of other films, sports, news and high-def content. For the price, the Roku really is an unbeatable deal for the amount of content you're getting.

Granted, this doesn't solve your mobile or internet issues, but it would consolidate your cable bill into what amounts to about $60 for the equipment and an $8 fee for an all-you-can-eat amount of Netflix and Hulu. That's not too shabby.

BN

Old 11-25-2010, 01:09 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,825,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
HUGHESNET is actually intended for rural areas that otherwise would not have access to high-speed internet.
Hughesnet is now known as WildBlue, as they were acquired not too long ago by a parent company of Google. As already said, it's the only option for folks living in ranchlands who need some kind of higher-speed internet option. While it's not as fast as say Roadrunner, it's a lot better than dial-up.

BN

Old 11-25-2010, 01:22 PM

7,131 posts, read 11,860,455 times
For those of us more challenged...it appears that Hulu and the others charge a monthly fee, is that right? What about network channels, Discovery, History, TruTV offerings?

Old 11-25-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
For those of us more challenged...it appears that Hulu and the others charge a monthly fee, is that right? What about network channels, Discovery, History, TruTV offerings?
Hulu charges a monthly fee for their "Plus" service, which is what you need if you want to stream shows and movies to your TV with something like a ROKU player, or streaming-enabled blu-ray player.

As far as channels like Discovery, History, TruTV, etc., Hulu and Netflix may offer some shows that have been aired on those networks, but I'm not aware of a way to just stream those networks to your TV in order to watch real-time programming. You're really just going to have to break down and subscribe to a pay TV service, like Cable or satellite, to get all the programming that airs on those networks.

Old 07-05-2011, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,102 times
if gvtc is so da_n great why do i have to pay for a house phone i dont use to get internet,i was told i have to a house phone to get internet because this subdivision is fiber optic.Do really need a house phone and why, i pay 75.00 dollars a month for internet that is slow.please advise

Old 07-05-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chja1231 View Post
if gvtc is so da_n great why do i have to pay for a house phone i dont use to get internet,i was told i have to a house phone to get internet because this subdivision is fiber optic.Do really need a house phone and why, i pay 75.00 dollars a month for internet that is slow.please advise
I don't live in GVTC territory, but their website shows internet as a standalone service, although without combining it with other services, it would be at full monthly pricing.

Most communications providers will allow customers to subscribe to standalone services, although those standalone services may not be eligible for any discounts or promotions, and generally, the providers will do everything they can to steer customers to bundled services.

You say internet is only available with home phone, but GVTC's website indicates otherwise. I'd call them back and ask for an explanation, and if you don't get a satisfactory answer, ask to speak with their supervisor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio