Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 06:45 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times

Advertisements

The issue isn't civil liberties it is the ethics of drunken drivers that is in question and public safety; as in the arrest of the woman who killed the very young S.A.P.D officer. If you are dunk don't drive. There is no issue if you are innocent. If you are drunk don't drive, you might kill someone, a child maybe.
This isn't about a debate on civil rights, it is life or death and maybe a life sentence of remorse and the penitentiary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
I hope they catch and arrest every single person who gets behind the wheel of an automobile while intoxicated.

It's about time that booz'n'cruisers get cracked down on! More power to the officers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 07:06 PM

1,720 posts, read 4,506,025 times
OP if you're worried about the legality of what SAPD and BCSO will be doing to test for BAC, then I think you should also worry about the thousands of people to choose to disrespect other drivers, and not care for the public's well being by driving under the influence of liquid ignorance.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:10 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,907 times
Default it doen't natter ,

Whether one is on cocaine or alchohol ,maijuana; suspected; the test you
take will take will tell, all honest all will be well, no more than that will occur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Agreed all people should be caught if they are driving intoxicated.. But, there are certain lines that shouldn't be crossed when it comes to civil liberties and *if this taking blood thing is true* then this line some will time have been been crossed. Let them take blood, prople are in desperate need of that too. It wan't so outrageouss if you are innucebtIt is outrageous to think if I am stopped and refuse to submit to a test my bodily fluid would be forcefully removed from me, especially from SAPD.

If I remember my history right this is how totalitarian regimes work. What's next? Every time we are confronted by SAPD we click our heels and say Heil McManus?

You want to crack down on drunk driving? A real simple solution, the drunk drivers car is confiscated and destroyed, his/her license is revoked for 5 years, period end of story. That would send a clear message to the public, you drink and drive you loose your car. Aww boohoo now you can't take Sally to soccer or go to class? Tough. Still have car payments? my heart bleeds for ya.

After all these years of "don't drink and drive" campaigns even an idiot would have to admit, enough is enough..... IT'S NOT WORKING.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:53 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,478,778 times
Checkpoints are still unconstitutional in Texas and I've never seen SAPD set up checkpoints on no refusal weekends. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it would be unconstitutional to convict someone without proof they were drunk. You can refuse to take a breath test and field sobriety test. The constitution protects you from unreasonable search and seizure. Law enforcement only needs probable cause and a warrant. I think someone appearing drunk and refusing to take any sobriety tests is enough probable cause. It seems completely constitutional to me. DNA samples are taken from those charged with murder and sexual offenses.

Quote:
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
I've heard that 50% of DWI suspects are now refusing breath tests. I heard a commercial on the radio (or on tv, can't remember) where a lawyer was telling everyone suspected of driving drunk to refuse to take any tests and immediately call a lawyer.

Last edited by L210; 10-29-2010 at 10:25 PM..

Old 10-29-2010, 11:32 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Based on what meisha said I did a Google search "call a lawyer drunk driving san antonio" after seeing the results it's no surprise DUI is treated as a joke.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:34 PM

522 posts, read 1,132,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
Law enforcement only needs probable cause and a warrant. I think someone appearing drunk and refusing to take any sobriety tests is enough probable cause. It seems completely constitutional to me. DNA samples are taken from those charged with murder and sexual offenses.
see, that's what i thought was the goal of dui checkpoints. at least, that's how i've seen it elsewhere. you are not asked for a breath/sobriety test unless there are probable signs of you being under the influence of a substance. unsafe driving, strong odors of marijuana or alchohol, open containers in view, etc.

i also agree with Dementius88. driving cars is not a god given/constitutional right. it is a privilege, and unfortunately when privileges are abused, like the rampant disregard of human life, regulations get put in place. i also agree with hotrod; in a perfect world we would be more conscientious about fellow men/motorists. everyone would use there blinkers and obey yield signs, and make a concerted effort to not put themselves and others in danger. that is unfortunately not the case.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:35 PM

8,399 posts, read 22,992,062 times
How disgusting and embarrassing for this city!!

Quote:
DWI Crackdown Nets Dozens Of Repeat Offenders!

Two-Dozen Motorists Facing 2nd Or 3rd Drunken Driving Charge!

SAN ANTONIO -- A Halloween crackdown on drunken driving in Bexar County has led to dozens of arrests, including many drivers who've been charged with the offense before...(full story (http://www.ksat.com/news/25596166/detail.html - broken link))
Each and every one of them deserves to be sent to Federal PMITA* prison or GITMO (I don't care which); but these idiots need to be permanently removed from society!

Cheers! M2

* - See the movie Office Space for the definition.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:49 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,048,207 times
I'm with you on this, as I've previously stated. Sadly, what was reported is just the tip of the iceberg.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:40 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,723 times
This thread started and paid for by the SAPD... The top-tier department of morals, codes of ethic and handling themselves in a professional, courteous way.

Give me a break: While I've NEVER driven drunk (and won't), if I was stopped randomly and asked to blow into a tube, I'd refuse immediately and sick my lawyer on them so quick it would make their heads spin. I do not live in a Government state. Their rights as a PD are limited and should remain so.

BN

Old 11-02-2010, 11:04 AM

8 posts, read 11,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
This thread started and paid for by the SAPD... The top-tier department of morals, codes of ethic and handling themselves in a professional, courteous way.

Give me a break: While I've NEVER driven drunk (and won't), if I was stopped randomly and asked to blow into a tube, I'd refuse immediately and sick my lawyer on them so quick it would make their heads spin. I do not live in a Government state. Their rights as a PD are limited and should remain so.

BN

Exactly,

Im not letting my future ride on the risk of a faulty devise or some pot head working for a third party lab doing blood test results. Im not going to help the SAPD convict me of a crime.

Moderator cut: campaign link

Last edited by Bo; 11-02-2010 at 11:36 AM.. Reason: Without context, this link looks like soliciting. Soliciting is not allowed at C-D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: