Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 11:54 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times

Advertisements

I kind of see the logic behind what Bowie said. It seems one can either choose to support their favorite network (who wants you to pay more for them) or the cable company (who are trying to keep rates down) but not both in situations like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 03:12 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
Just read those channels are back now.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:12 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
You dont truly believe this do you? Carriage agreements amount to pennies per subscriber. Taking the side of the networks doesnt by any means forfeit your right to complain when the bill goes up $5-$10. As an example, Cablevision went through this with Scripps last February. Cablevision was paying $.21 per subscriber for HGTV and FoodNetwork. Scripps wanted between $.50 and $.75 per subscriber. While that is a huge increase percentage-wise, it shouldnt make my bill go up $5-$10 and therefore I would complain.
ATT settled this yesterday and didn't announce the terms, so it's hard to say how much they can rightfully pass along.

Think of the networks a cable/broadband system has as a nest of baby birds, all squawking to be fed, and you'll get a mental picture of how this works. Scripps is just the bird squawking the loudest this month. Over the course of each year, they all get fed at some point when they renegotiate their deals with the provider. When DOZENS of networks ask for as much as 50-75 cents a months, eventually it adds up to $5-$10/month.

I'm far from someone who would sympathize with the cable industry, because I remember the free ride they got until retransmission consent fees began in this decade. But on this issue, I see their point.

Old 11-08-2010, 07:27 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEM-Texas View Post
Food Channel, Cook, HGTV - they've disappeared. We noticed that the other day. I don't recall a notice - might have missed it.

So I get tens of music channels, religious and sports stuff I can't pick and choose from but a few that I like and are fairly unique go away?

Anybody got a clue. I e-mailed them, no response.

We really, in today's world, be able to select channels and drop this package crap.

Bah!

Two words: Direct TV.

AT&T sucks. Hugely. In every way possible.

Okay, that's actually more than two words.

Old 11-08-2010, 08:04 AM

162 posts, read 539,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Two words: Direct TV.

AT&T sucks. Hugely. In every way possible.

Okay, that's actually more than two words.
Not so fast on DTV: DirecTV Pulls Plug On G4 - The Consumerist

Old 11-08-2010, 08:54 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHen View Post

Well, to be fair, that's a Comcast-owned cable channel for gamers. Not even in the same league.

Here is a quote from DirecTV in the article you posted:

Quote:
"We are constantly evaluating our lineup in a new world where programming costs continue to rise at significant rates. Since G4 is among the lowest rated networks based on the latest Nielsen data, we decided that it made sense to focus on preserving programming that is more relevant to our larger customer base."

And, I should point out, DirecTV usually does not have the same problems that so many other cable companies have.

I've had TimeWarner and Comcast in the past, and DirecTV for a year. I have had NO issues whatsoever with DirecTV. Can't say that for the others.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:10 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
ATT settled this yesterday and didn't announce the terms, so it's hard to say how much they can rightfully pass along.

Think of the networks a cable/broadband system has as a nest of baby birds, all squawking to be fed, and you'll get a mental picture of how this works. Scripps is just the bird squawking the loudest this month. Over the course of each year, they all get fed at some point when they renegotiate their deals with the provider. When DOZENS of networks ask for as much as 50-75 cents a months, eventually it adds up to $5-$10/month.

I'm far from someone who would sympathize with the cable industry, because I remember the free ride they got until retransmission consent fees began in this decade. But on this issue, I see their point.

This is all true except you dont get DOZENS of networks re-negotiating every year but you DO see increases every year.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:14 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Well, to be fair, that's a Comcast-owned cable channel for gamers. Not even in the same league.

Here is a quote from DirecTV in the article you posted:

And, I should point out, DirecTV usually does not have the same problems that so many other cable companies have.

I've had TimeWarner and Comcast in the past, and DirecTV for a year. I have had NO issues whatsoever with DirecTV. Can't say that for the others.
I am a strong Directv supporter having been with them for almost 10 years but they are not always without fault either. We lost Versus last year for about 8 mos, which to most isnt a big deal unless you are a hockey fan. I will say though that they took care of many many people in the form of discounts during that time.

That said, no one has retransmission fights like DISH Network does. Seems they are in a dispute several times per year.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:36 AM

4 posts, read 21,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Just read those channels are back now.
Yup, just checked. They're back.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:48 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Can we get real here? Providers want to pull channels and we don't like it, you think they care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio