Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,141,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I don't buy that excuse, as if people over 35 don't listen to alternative music.
Would you buy that not enough advertisers want to buy the audience that a format delivers? Owners pick formats for stations based on what their research shows will attract an audience that advertisers will want to advertise to. If that audience doesn't have enough people or doesn't have people with the demographics advertisers want, the station can't make enough money from the sale of commercials.

There's no reason to believe that owners are withholding formats with broad appeal from stations. They want to make money. If they are withholding any formats, it's because they believe they can't sell enough commercials within those formats.

One thing is certain, no station anywhere will ever draw a wide audience by playing one person's favorite music.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 03:49 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,883,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggeorgie View Post
My radio is mostly tuned to KSYM 90.1 or NPR 89.1, when not listening to my cds'.
For talk I listen to plenty of NPR. I hope those haters anti-intellectual haters in Washington leave it alone because their threats against it is one of the few things that have severely made me angry >_< As if they want us to listen to that bias crap on the AM dial.

KSYM was infinitely good in the 90's when it truly was "Your Only Alternative".

Sometimes I will catch some good music on it, usually weekends or at something like 5 AM.

Third Coast Network is quite old indeed.

KRTU!!!! That is the best bet in town. The second link Rapscallion offered has a link to the archive:

KRTU - Schedule and Weekly Archive

You can click on any night and hear the show from any time of the day. Their station commercials are the best because it is just people calling in leaving random comments that mention KRTU.

YouTube also gets lots of airplay in my home when it comes to music.

Whatever just leave my TPR alone!!! I depend on it. World Music with Deirde Saravia. This American Life. The World. All Things Considered. Fresh Air. Living on Earth. Latino USA. Even Click and Clack. BBC World Service at night!!!

When I used to work by day it got much more play,much to the consternation of co-workers who would rather hear KISS or KZEP, ugh, but whenever I'm in the restroom showering or anything it is on.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:02 PM

18,137 posts, read 25,324,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Would you buy that not enough advertisers want to buy the audience that a format delivers? Owners pick formats for stations based on what their research shows will attract an audience that advertisers will want to advertise to. If that audience doesn't have enough people or doesn't have people with the demographics advertisers want, the station can't make enough money from the sale of commercials.

There's no reason to believe that owners are withholding formats with broad appeal from stations. They want to make money. If they are withholding any formats, it's because they believe they can't sell enough commercials within those formats.

One thing is certain, no station anywhere will ever draw a wide audience by playing one person's favorite music.
Best case to prove you wrong.... rap music.
You can't go to a party anywhere in this country with young people without hearing rap.

In most of the Midwest, you can't find a rap station outside of the big cities.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:45 PM

443 posts, read 955,974 times
Quote:
Rapscallion,

sorry, not my quote..
hmmm... you sure about that?

Quote:
KSYM 90.1 is mostly alternative but they recently started playing texas country music from around 3-6pm. What does that tell you? Hmm, just had a thought; I suppose Texas Country is alternative.. Hmm interesting.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:23 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,626,364 times
If your in the north part of SA you might be able to pick up 101x here in Austin i've picked it up a couple times when i've been on 1604 for rock in SA I like 99.5 KISS.

101X | INDEPENDENT. LOCAL. ALTERNATIVE. | 101.5 KROX FM Radio, Austin Texas

Old 11-16-2010, 05:43 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,141,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Best case to prove you wrong.... rap music.
You can't go to a party anywhere in this country with young people without hearing rap.

In most of the Midwest, you can't find a rap station outside of the big cities.
IMO, your example proves my point. Small town advertisers clearly don't want to sell to that music's audience.

My midwestern hometown of ~50,000 has 4 radio stations: 2 news/talk AMs, 1 country FM, 1 oldies FM. Both pairs of stations have been locally owned for 40-60 years by local Caucasian families. I doubt that a rap track has ever... seriously... ever been played on any of the 4 stations, unless it was part of a syndicated news show giving an example of the evils of that genre of music. (Thinking of the various controversies about rap lyrics over the years.) The owners of the stations and their advertisers probably don't think people who listen to that music buy tires/furniture/flowers/whatever their advertisers are selling. It doesn't matter whether it's true. What matters is that advertisers and management think it's true.

To bring the discussion closer to home, the same small-town mindset is probably present here in Texas. I haven't heard any hip-hop coming out of my radio when it's tuned to the stations in Hondo or Kerrville, either.

Last edited by Bo; 11-16-2010 at 05:53 PM..

Old 11-16-2010, 08:07 PM

715 posts, read 1,358,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
If your in the north part of SA you might be able to pick up 101x here in Austin i've picked it up a couple times when i've been on 1604 for rock in SA I like 99.5 KISS.

101X | INDEPENDENT. LOCAL. ALTERNATIVE. | 101.5 KROX FM Radio, Austin Texas
Now that's what I call a refreshing playlist!! Man if we can ever get a station like that here. No tired rock like KISS.

Old 11-16-2010, 08:15 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,622,022 times
I'm old and I'd LOVE to have an alt rock station here. I mostly listen to Jack because I love my classic rock (not '80s hairband stuff, but true classic rock - Stones, Faces, the Who, etc.).

I'd also love an alt-rock station that played a mix of '80s pop and rock along with the new stuff.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:30 PM

1,707 posts, read 2,986,714 times
I'm another person that would love for San Antonio to have an alternative, indie rock station.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:58 AM

291 posts, read 608,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
I'm another person that would love for San Antonio to have an alternative, indie rock station.

XM 47 Altnation alternative rock
XM 45 The Spectrum
XM 43 XM U Indi Rock
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio