Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 09:04 PM

8,399 posts, read 23,032,260 times

Advertisements

"Behind Bill Millers?!?"

Sounds like what I was expecting, and as you said with Rudy's less than ten minutes away; I doubt we'll be trying it at all...

And if we want something different in BBQ, we'll go back to Porky J's on Bandera Road.

Life's too short for mediocre BBQ!

Cheers! M2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 03:47 PM

7 posts, read 20,843 times
OK My husband and I tried Alamo BBq 2 weeks ago...no there was no smoke coming from inside...and yes they do have crock pots where they serve everything from, but I have to say that brisket was pretty dang good, ribs as well. My husband and I have driven all over texas for bbq including Snows which is supposed to be the best...not in my opinion...anyway, also Blacks, you get my drift. I felt like those joints were wastes of gas and time..all hype. This brisket at Alamo BBQ was the best I've had in a long time the smoke ring on the slices I had was amazing, very tender and good. I will agree with the sides and portions not big. The potato salad wasn't very tasty, and neither were the baked beans, but for strictly meat I will definitely go back. And I would defenitely be excited to one day visit and the meat is cooking in the restaurant. RUDY'S... I've never been impressed...IT'S ALL SMOKE SMELL AT RUDY'S BUT NO SMOKE TASTE IN MEAT..I used to dig the bbq sauce but for the pricyness of Rudy's I would rather not give them business, my husband and I and 2 boys ate there one day and spent over 40 dollars, I felt like we didn't end up with anything we were no where near full when we left either.. Porky J's was very expensive, been to new location as well, food was not worth it. They have no condiments as well. Please improve Alamo BBQ I'm routing for you! Make it Better!

Old 11-29-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLco View Post
Stopped by on Sunday, potato salad needs improvement, it was just potatoes and mayo, green beens were from a can, coleslaw was watered down, brisket was baked and they had no seasonings, they were out of chicken, sausage was ok. They tried to season the brisket with a ton of sauce. Not good enough to give a second chance.

Okay since when does baking brisket in the oven make a smoke ring. You're right about the sides though. YOu must have gone on a bad day and I went on a supper awsome day...cause the meat was delicioso

Old 11-29-2010, 04:24 PM

OK, most reports on Alamo BBQ are that it's below Bill Miller's; but now we have a brand new poster coming on here saying it's better than Porky J's and Rudy's!

Well, I know everyone has different tastes; but to say it's better than two of the most favored BBQ restaurants in the city (the third being Augie's) is a stretch in my book. We live nearby and always check the number of people there when we drive by and so far it's not been that crowded, so I am still very doubtful of the claim (singular) that it's good...

What Alamo BBQ needs to do is offer coupons or discounts to bring people in, otherwise I am not going to waste my time/money on someplace that has yet to prove itself. Yes, I said prove itself! Many of us take BBQ seriously, and as I've said previously life is too short to waste on bad BBQ!

Old 11-29-2010, 06:14 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,736,717 times
Have you guys been to Coopers in Llano? To me that's the best I've ever had...but haven't tried Blacks/Kruetz, etc yet.

Old 11-29-2010, 06:49 PM

276 posts, read 971,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_2001_77 View Post
...pricyness of Rudy's I would rather not give them business...
You damn near need a loan to feed a family at Rudy's. Love their Q. Hate the prices.

Old 11-29-2010, 07:40 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,736,717 times
^MI 2001_77 is obviously the restaurant's owner , but that's OK, I will be giving the place a try this week!

Old 11-29-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasNick View Post
^MI 2001_77 is obviously the restaurant's owner , but that's OK, I will be giving the place a try this week!
Nick, I look forward to your review; despite your knocking points off for my being a Krystal's fan!

And I am very suspicious of glowing reviews from first-time posters as well!

Cheers! M2

Old 11-30-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
OK, most reports on Alamo BBQ are that it's below Bill Miller's; but now we have a brand new poster coming on here saying it's better than Porky J's and Rudy's!

Well, I know everyone has different tastes; but to say it's better than two of the most favored BBQ restaurants in the city (the third being Augie's) is a stretch in my book. We live nearby and always check the number of people there when we drive by and so far it's not been that crowded, so I am still very doubtful of the claim (singular) that it's good...

What Alamo BBQ needs to do is offer coupons or discounts to bring people in, otherwise I am not going to waste my time/money on someplace that has yet to prove itself. Yes, I said prove itself! Many of us take BBQ seriously, and as I've said previously life is too short to waste on bad BBQ!
HOnestly.... Porky J's...YOU must be owner of dat place. I didn't want to be mean in the first post, a bunch of us ate there Porky Js next to tuesday morning on bandera and we were all dissapointed the alchoholic baked beans were really good though and like I said they had no condiments....wad up wit dat! No business either. Augies is good but people we have treated there don't like it...I think it's another(all bark no bite) all smoke looking big pit outside n wood n alll but when tasting the meat I feel like grabbing a piece of smoked wood out tha pit and chewing on it to give it some smoke FLAVOR + they are chinchy with portions as well, but I do like the atmosphere. To the person who commented about Coopers, I've tried coopers in new braunfels...loved it...tasted smoke in meat, I think I also remember bottomless beans there that were good had jalapeno in em. Honestly though when we are short on money and want a sure thing we go to Old Smokehouse on Fredericksburg Rd, always a winner with us! Good prices/Good portions too! We too take BBQ seriously, thus the reason I stated we've even been to Snows rated number one in texas monthly. We drive long distances to get good BBQ....I mean hours! Please Don't hate! I'm trying to give honest reviews here, because we've defenitely tried em all. There is another really good bbq joint we went to bout a year ago in another city.....really good...their slogan was the meat is so good you won't need sauce..something like that, they have no bbq sauce in their place just juice. If I was a plant from Alamo BBq why would I also write negative stuff about it too. Sorry I offended anyone the only point I wanna make is try the place out for yourself, if its really bad, people will catch on and go out of business. I Love it!....Take out a loan!

Old 11-30-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Nick, I look forward to your review; despite your knocking points off for my being a Krystal's fan!

And I am very suspicious of glowing reviews from first-time posters as well!

Cheers! M2
I stumbled across this post when searching through yahoo, Shaenfield 1604 zip code, since we are currently house hunting and I needed the zip to search for houses in dat area. This forum and alamo bbq topic was like first on that search page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio