Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 09:45 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,017,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI_2001_77 View Post
OK My husband and I tried Alamo BBq 2 weeks ago...no there was no smoke coming from inside...and yes they do have crock pots where they serve everything from, but I have to say that brisket was pretty dang good, ribs as well. My husband and I have driven all over texas for bbq including Snows which is supposed to be the best...not in my opinion...anyway, also Blacks, you get my drift. I felt like those joints were wastes of gas and time..all hype. This brisket at Alamo BBQ was the best I've had in a long time the smoke ring on the slices I had was amazing, very tender and good. I will agree with the sides and portions not big. The potato salad wasn't very tasty, and neither were the baked beans, but for strictly meat I will definitely go back. And I would defenitely be excited to one day visit and the meat is cooking in the restaurant. RUDY'S... I've never been impressed...IT'S ALL SMOKE SMELL AT RUDY'S BUT NO SMOKE TASTE IN MEAT..I used to dig the bbq sauce but for the pricyness of Rudy's I would rather not give them business, my husband and I and 2 boys ate there one day and spent over 40 dollars, I felt like we didn't end up with anything we were no where near full when we left either.. Porky J's was very expensive, been to new location as well, food was not worth it. They have no condiments as well. Please improve Alamo BBQ I'm routing for you! Make it Better!

I'm confused... is it not cooked there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 10:02 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,051,095 times
The best BBQ brisket is always the one you take the time to smoke yourself at home, done right.

Last edited by HillCountryHotRodMan; 11-30-2010 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: Wuz hatin' on dat crazy homie yo....

Old 11-30-2010, 10:13 AM

7 posts, read 20,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
I'm confused... is it not cooked there?
No I don't think the meat is cooked there, but I'm hoping they will one day.

Old 11-30-2010, 10:17 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,737,398 times
Here's what I do when I go to an unknown BBQ place for the first time. I order their chopped sandwich. If that sucks, then I've only wasted a few dollars. I've generally found that if their chopped sandwich is good, then the Q is good. Not always, but most of the time.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:41 PM

8,399 posts, read 23,000,516 times
Well, Alamo BBQ had their chance and they blew it!

After doing a quick oil change on my Toyota, I asked the wife is she wanted to go over and check it out. We had some time before the boys get home from school, so we jumped in the Jeep and drove over to Alamo BBQ.

Well, despite signs all over the place saying "Open Seven Days A Week, 11:00am to 9:00pm;" the frigging place was closed!!!

Yep, all the chairs were up on the table, and there wasn't a person in sight despite it being almost 2:00 in the afternoon!

So good or not (probably the latter), they're not getting a second chance. Maybe, just maybe, if there was a sign on the door stating why they were closed, we would understand; but the simple fact is that if they don't care enough to be open when they claim they are, then I don't care enough to try their fare!

The silver lining is we went over to Freebirds in Alamo Ranch and had some great burritos! They were open during their business hours, and while we were eating an employee came by our table to make sure everything was alright. Now that's customer service, something Alamo BBQ could learn from; but honestly I would not be surprised if it's gone in six months...

Cheers! M2

Old 11-30-2010, 04:44 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,718,171 times
I don't expect all items at a BBQ restaurant to be great. Generally, a place has great ribs, great brisket, or sausage, but never all three. If you want the best sausage, go to Luling, the best Brisket? Try Coopers. Etc. But to be legendary, the place needs to be above average in EVERYTHING. Texas, thankfully, has quite a few legendary BBQ places.

Offtopic: Btw, MMMax, I went to MD Automotive to get my Jeep fixed and they did a fantastic job. Thanks for the recommendation!

Old 11-30-2010, 04:53 PM

8,399 posts, read 23,000,516 times
Nick

Glad to hear that, we passed by there on our way home from Freebirds and noticed they've got new jokes on their sign...

Why do birds fly south for the winter? It's too far to walk!

Where do polar bears go to vote? The North Poll!

I've got to admit, that sign has been a source of amusement for us for many years!

Cheers! M2

Old 11-30-2010, 05:35 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,505,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
The best BBQ brisket is always the one you take the time to smoke yourself at home, done right.

Couldn't agree more. The bbq I eat comes off my pit, 90% of the time. I like a few bbq places around here and other towns, but as another poster said earlier.....they treat it like it's a rare delicacy, and charge too much for what you get IMHO. I got 4 little ribs at Rudy's, and it was 7 bucks....come on now.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:05 PM

7 posts, read 16,878 times
The Smokehouse at Roland and Rigsby is to die for. It makes Rudy's look positively uptown, but oh my stars, that food...

Old 11-30-2010, 08:35 PM

7 posts, read 20,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emvs73 View Post
The Smokehouse at Roland and Rigsby is to die for. It makes Rudy's look positively uptown, but oh my stars, that food...
Now see someone I actually agree with, I've been to that one to, it was right near the church we used to attend, the only thing I have to say about that one is that... of course this was over 4 yrs ago and it mightve changed..but the sausage was cerealy<---if thats a word...you know what I mean, but everything else very down n dirty bbq..in a good way To Me Kreuz in Lockhart has good everything!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio