Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2010, 08:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,640 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I found this site and I really got a kick out of the memories some have posted. I remember a lot of the old stuff San Antonio had to offer and I wish a lot of it was back.

Anyway, I hope someone remembers an old pet cemetary on Snowden Road . This was east of the intersection of Babcock and Wurzbach Roads (google coordinates 29.504449, -98.586207). My mom took me there to look at some of the tombstone back when I was a kid in the late 70's. I took my daughter there a year or two ago and there was a parking lot and new building there.

Does anyone know the history of the cemetary? Who owned it? I think at one time between Snowden and Wurzbach was an old farm. Up until a year ago there was still an old wooden water tank standing near Wurzbach Road and there are some old concrete structures around.
Of course there was not much between UTSA and the Medical Center but that is a whole other story.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,735 times
What's sad is that i remember an old pet cemetery on 410 and Evers right next to the HEB market place and across from the middle school. It was so awesome to see old tombstones from the 1800s and see how much people loved their pets. It was very sad when i saw it being bulldozed and now a church is over it. A question i have always had is that what happens to the people and families that had pets there. Its sad that they can no longer visit the site of their pets. There were some huge tombstones as well. If you saw it from afar you could swear it was a human cemetery. Its just sad to see it gone because business is more important.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:15 PM

186 posts, read 690,100 times
It's too bad the movie Pet Cemetery had to scar me for life. Sounds like such a nice place to go but that movie ruined it for me.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:25 PM

38 posts, read 157,539 times
Theres a pet cemetery on Prue road right before you get to Babcock Road as you drive west. Its on the left hand side a block before the Walgreens.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:03 PM

2 posts, read 5,640 times
Erick_csf,

I went to Pat Neff and I vaguely remember seeing the cemetary across Evers Road, but I thought it was a "people" cemetary. I grew up in that area and I was taking my daughter around and showing her the things I remember when I was a kid when I realized how much has changed or disappeared entirely. My daughter is going to UTSA, so when I see her in a few weeks I will stop by that pet cemetary on Prue and Babcock (Thanks stoneoak10).

Old 09-30-2010, 02:25 PM

4,062 posts, read 5,646,222 times
I think I remember that one on Prue also. It was on the opposite side from that pond that they trashed up when they put in housing developments. What a shame that was, too.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,549 times
Default Thank you.

I'm so glad I found this site. I just moved to San Antonio a few months ago and I pass the old cemetery on my way to work each morning. My curiosity had peaked and I had to know more about it. It is so sad to see it in such a mess, even for a pet cemetery. Azgrma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio