Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 11:59 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave72 View Post
You guys in support of this are crazy...

DWI laws are already so strict that the state legislature is looking at reducing the penalties...

as things are right now its cheaper and easier to get caught beating your wife with one hand and holding a bag of cocaine in the other than it is to get a DWI leaving a spurs game

Its not about whether DWI is right or wrong, its wrong, its wrong a million times, but its about figuring out an appropriate way to handle people that commit this crime, and as of now we just don't have that, what we have is MADD gone crazy, people up on a soapbox, and counties making MILLIONS off of DWI arrests, and no one willing to step up and say maybe its too much that an average DWI costs upwards of 10k while getting arrested for breaking into a car costs a couple hundred bucks.
A rep to you.

Take the cars and drivers license's away from drunk drivers, PERIOD. If they get caught again using a different car take that one away too, keep it up until they either wise up or their family and friends have no vehicles left.

They have to get to work? TS, take the bus or ride a bike, they don't deserve the privilege of driving. They wanna whine about their car being confiscated? Give them a crying towel.

We don't need more Gestapo tactics from our government. We have nude pictures taken of ourselves in airports, blood taken from us on highways, government starting to tell us what to eat, government telling us we MUST buy something or else.....

Just what has this country turned into? Land of the free?? yeah right..

Land of the sheep and home of the meek is more like it.

Last edited by plwhit; 01-02-2011 at 12:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2011, 02:04 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,713,297 times
"It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." -Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-02-2011, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Simple. Because the possession of alcohol by adults is not against the law. Nor is having it in your car, as long as it isn't an open container.

Secondly, not all alcohol is sold in liquor stores.

But most importantly, there is no law concerning "conspiracy for drunk driving." A person could actually "plan" it all they want, it is not until they actually commit the offense that it becomes illegal.

It's like trying to arrest someone for "conspiracy to speed" because they have a car that will exceed the speed limit!
Oh, yeah.....the codified realm is one thing, but I still found the person's post somewhat eyebrow-raising, MMM.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
For motorcyclists it's "Always assume the other driver is trying to kill you!"
I confess I *do* find it mindboggling as to why anyone would "throw the dice" out on those streets {that are just FULL of surprises, as everyone knows}, teemingly-replete with thousands of way-bigger and heavier {perpetually-multiplying?} vehicles.....some of them locomotives, I darecall them.......

UPDATE: of course, I did once hear a woman saying about how many of us here in the States live with A False Sense Of Indestructibility In A Culture Of Invincibility....... O_o

Old 01-02-2011, 02:17 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYCHp...eature=channel

Old 01-02-2011, 05:33 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
This thread is depressing.

Old 01-02-2011, 08:11 AM

418 posts, read 784,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Anytime you are concerned about drunk drivers...
BE VERY CAREFUL AT INTERSECTIONS.

I believe that's the place that is most likely for a drunk person to run into somebody, when they are driving and run a red light and slam into somebody else's car.

So make sure that you go through intersections carefully (look both ways)
Good advice.

Coming home New Year's eve from the party the boss put on at his place I came to a 3-way stop "T" intersection about a mile south of the I35 in Schertz. Did my stop, waited to see what the other car was going to do... appeared to be waiting for me so I proceed. When I clear the intersection the other car does a U-turn in the intersection and proceeds to follow me.

That was a red flag for me... the follower must be police looking to nab someone. Good thing I was stone cold sober and following the laws as it turned out to be police who passed me after following me for about a mile.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:57 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
I thought you meant "1 mile South on 35" and made me think that you where in Selma (1 police officer per 10 people)

Old 01-02-2011, 01:21 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
One thing I've learned over many years of driving - stay out of the high-speed lane. 99% of drunks drive in what they perceive is the "right" (slow) lane, so as not to be a "target" of the cops. Take a look - that puts them in the left (high speed) lane when they're driving the wrong way. That's why you'll never see me in that lane if at all possible, especially at night, or in hilly terrain.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:37 PM

69 posts, read 186,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

We don't need more Gestapo tactics from our government. We have nude pictures taken of ourselves in airports, blood taken from us on highways, government starting to tell us what to eat, government telling us we MUST buy something or else.....

Just what has this country turned into? Land of the free?? yeah right..

Land of the sheep and home of the meek is more like it.
It's that old saying about giving up your freedom for a little security.

Im just amazed that no one is appalled that we've now said that if you're driving around at night and get pulled over that no one has any problem with the government detaining you for a few hours and forcibly taking you to a hospital to draw blood from your arm on the suspicion you had too much to drink.

And it's so easy to condemn some condemn so mythical drunk with 3 prior dwis and a bottle of tequila in one hand swerving all over the road- they btw are getting arrested with or without no refusal weekend- but that's just not the typical situation.

This applies to all situations, even where there is no wreck, no accidents, no alcohol in the car, no prior history of dwi or drinking, no stumbling out of the car with a bottle of jack, this applies to 50 year olds who have never committed a crime in their lives coming home from dinner and glass of wine.

It exactly the kind of government intrusions we should be fearful of. It's highly invasive, it's across the board, and it's based completely on he opinion of one police officer.

Last edited by dave72; 01-02-2011 at 04:48 PM..

Old 01-02-2011, 04:40 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
Dave, I've been sayin' it - an' bein' routinely castigated by several here. I understand, because they've become convinced that "the government" can protect them....but it proves every day that it can't. One day, they'll figure that out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio