Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 08:10 PM

14 posts, read 31,064 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

For someone whose goal is not trying to get a PhD, does school ranking really matter? Does the decent ranking school put me at disadvantage when applying for jobs?

Ying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 09:01 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,558,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yinghawl View Post
Hi All,

For someone whose goal is not trying to get a PhD, does school ranking really matter? Does the decent ranking school put me at disadvantage when applying for jobs?

Ying
Depends on where you're going and what field you're in.

Getting a PhD, the school matters much less than the individual with whom you get your degree. Getting a professional degree (MD, JD, MBA etc), the rank matters more.

For undergrad degrees, it depends. If you intend to stay in San Antonio, a degree from any SA-area school is fine in most fields. Most people know the schools and will have some association with them. Anywhere in Texas, I think degrees from Texas schools matter - people here seem to care more that you went to UT or A&M than if you have a degree from Harvard. If you intend to move outside Texas, no one will know the SA schools or cares about UT or A&M and that could matter.

But it also all depends on the field.

Old 04-24-2015, 07:40 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,795,689 times
Nope, because if you have read anything lately concerning this, you'll find that many schools ratings are falsely inflated..

Old 04-24-2015, 06:37 PM

894 posts, read 1,547,928 times
It can make a difference, but the difference depends on you. I have an engineering degree from UT Austin and an MBA from Boston University. My engineering degree carries weight over most other schools. My MBA carries weight over many other schools, but ranks at the bottom if I were working in Boston. So many variables to consider. Were you *** Laude? No matter...you have what you have and regrets aren't a factor. Look forward...build on what you have. Be the snowball that becomes an avalanche.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:17 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,480,242 times
I'll repeat what I said in another thread. A program's ranking is usually more important than a school's ranking. Some unranked and low-ranked schools have very good reputations in certain fields because they are highly-ranked in certain fields.

In my field (and probably several other academic fields), the ranking of your program matters when it comes to where you want to work in academia. It is exceptionally rare in my field for a program to hire someone with a PhD from a lower-ranked program. The only program I know of that regularly hires people from lower-ranked programs is the #1 program. They hire people from the #2 and #3 programs.

With professional degrees such as the MBA and JD, the rank of your school does matter. Some MBAs can get around rankings by having substantial experience. For other masters degrees such as the MS and MA, the competitiveness of your field will determine how important rankings will be. Also, some fields will value experience over rankings.

I wouldn't underestimate the nationwide name recognition and alumni networks for UT-Austin and Texas A&M - College Station. They also have some of the best programs in certain fields. For example, Texas A&M is ranked a few spots higher than Columbia University in statistics. It is ranked almost 10 spots higher than Cornell. Texas A&M ranks very high in a few engineering fields. Harvard does not fare as well in engineering.

Last edited by L210; 04-25-2015 at 04:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio