Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 07:53 AM

501 posts, read 776,112 times

Advertisements

Have been enjoying reading volume 4 of Robert Caro's LBJ bio but am kinda stumped by this assertion:
"The President was to land at San Antonio's Bergstrom AFB at 1:30 and lead a motorcade through the city to the new Aerospace Medical Center" (page 300)
Bergstrom gets a few more mentions, so I hesitate to write it off as a typo. I presume the Aerospace Medical Center was at Brooks AFB instead of being a reference to Wilford Hall.
Anyone here recall where the presidential party arrived/departed on November 21?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 08:13 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
San Antonio International Airport.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:48 AM

3,216 posts, read 8,552,763 times
Yes, the airport has/had a display of photos taken that day, including at the airport.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:21 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtoman67z View Post
Have been enjoying reading volume 4 of Robert Caro's LBJ bio but am kinda stumped by this assertion:
"The President was to land at San Antonio's Bergstrom AFB at 1:30 and lead a motorcade through the city to the new Aerospace Medical Center" (page 300)
Bergstrom gets a few more mentions, so I hesitate to write it off as a typo. I presume the Aerospace Medical Center was at Brooks AFB instead of being a reference to Wilford Hall.
Anyone here recall where the presidential party arrived/departed on November 21?
If I recall correctly, he arrived at Kelly AFB and departed San Antonio International. He dedicated the new Aerospace facilities at Brooks and then a run downtown in his motorcade. I watched the motorcade pass by on Military Drive (Loop 13) between Flores and Roosevelt Streets. Bergstrom is in Austin. Obviously an error.

This was discussed and had links and back up in the GBNF thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...tonio-276.html

Old 12-01-2012, 10:26 AM

Thanks for clarification, figured the author had it wrong when he misplaced Bergstrom in San Antonio. I know several other Presidents have visited SA since our arrival in 1980 but don't recall seeing media coverage of Air Force One arriving at SAT. Did I just miss the coverage, or were some of those visits through Lackland/Kelly or Randolph?

Old 12-01-2012, 10:33 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
Quote:
Thanks for clarification, figured the author had it wrong when he misplaced Bergstrom in San Antonio. I know several other Presidents have visited SA since our arrival in 1980 but don't recall seeing media coverage of Air Force One arriving at SAT. Did I just miss the coverage, or were some of those visits through Lackland/Kelly or Randolph?
You're welcome. For obvious reasons, arrivals and departures along with destinations for the President are not widely known. I couldn't answer on other presidents.. Someone has to be lucky and see the commotion most likely.

Old 12-01-2012, 11:13 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,228,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
If I recall correctly, he arrived at Kelly AFB and departed San Antonio International. He dedicated the new Aerospace facilities at Brooks and then a run downtown in his motorcade. I watched the motorcade pass by on Military Drive (Loop 13) between Flores and Roosevelt Streets. Bergstrom is in Austin. Obviously an error.

This was discussed and had links and back up in the GBNF thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...tonio-276.html
I witnessed Kennedy's motorcade travel south on Broadway through AH on the morning of November 21. If he arrive at Kelly, then for some reason he would have had to travel north, then back south towards town.

As another poster mentioned, there was a photo mural in the old Terminal 2 at SAT that showed Kennedy being greeted at San Antonio International. I also have a photo that was snapped by another person near where I was standing on Broadway, that clearly shows JFK and Jackie in the open-top limo.

Old 12-01-2012, 02:48 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,388,475 times
Default Robert Caro,GTOman,

Those four volumes on LBJ by author Robert Caro have been called the best biographical history ever written. I too, have all four volumes. The prose is excellent and to me these are the best books I've ever
read. Meticulous down to the minutae details of LBJ's every day existence these- books have taken Caro
35 years to pen.
A Jew from New York City he and his wife Ina moved to the Hill Country for two years to authenticate
much of his research. A look at the pictures on dust jackets of the four books of Caro his aging is evident.
The LBJ story is a fantastic , white knuckle, hair raising tale of political intrigue and genius. A master
politician, that LBJ. On top of this Caro is a great story teller.
With no resources and a third rate education, at best, rose politically through sheer cunning
and political manipulation-LBJ changed the country.
Do you recall the tale of the- winning, GTOman, his 1948 U.S. Senate seat by only 87 votes out of nearly 1 milion cast here in Texas, within the pages of the second volume ? Against Coke Stevenson? When Stevenson had carrried every county in the state in the previous gubernatorial election ?
I wonder if anyone else here has read these biographies. Great political info on Texas politics, isn't it ?
As I heard said in an interview by an LBJ aide," It is one of the great stories of history." It is.
LBJ was a driven man. I do not believe we will see the likes of him again.
Caro has two volumes to go. He has written four and has not even reached the White House years.
I heard him say on Book TV on C-Span where he gave an address on volume 4 -that Volume 5 will address the Viet Namese war, where he will live, to experience personally what Viet Nam is like...
One of the most interesting things about this guys books is that he is not even a historian and has only a Bachelors Degree in english. He was a reporter before writing his first book.
All five of his books are bestsellers- historians do not like him very much, do they? He writes to well.

Quote:

Old 12-01-2012, 03:15 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
The President landed at the Airport and departed from Kelly. His motorcade route is below. Aerospace Medical Center was indeed at Brooks.

http://drtlibrary.files.wordpress.co...de-mapwtmk.jpg

Previous discussion of this is also on the following thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...antone-14.html

Old 12-01-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
The President landed at the Airport and departed from Kelly. His motorcade route is below. Aerospace Medical Center was indeed at Brooks.

http://drtlibrary.files.wordpress.co...de-mapwtmk.jpg

Previous discussion of this is also on the following thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...antone-14.html
Thanks Merovee for posting the route map, and the link to the pertinent pages of the other thread. Somewhere in page 15 was a link to the Secret Service duty roster for the Texas trip Secret Service Duty Rosters for JFK's Texas Trip which I found of interest as well.
I wasn't meaning to ding Caro as a biographer with my original post, I see his work as THE definitive LBJ bio...my in-laws gave me volume one shortly after I married..and that was a long time ago! Hope he finishes volumes five and six!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio