Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 05:44 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,456,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATX56 View Post
If I recall correctly, he arrived at Kelly AFB and departed San Antonio International. He dedicated the new Aerospace facilities at Brooks and then a run downtown in his motorcade. I watched the motorcade pass by on Military Drive (Loop 13) between Flores and Roosevelt Streets. Bergstrom is in Austin. Obviously an error.

This was discussed and had links and back up in the GBNF thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...tonio-276.html
You remember correctly SATX....was there to see him arrive. My dad flew out of Kelly AFB in the Air Force at the time, and I can not remember if it was open to the public, or just military assigned to the base, but I do remember them landing there and greeting them. He was also suppose to go to Kennedy HS for a visit (if memory serves me, this was the FIRST school in the US named after him...) but he never got there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2012, 08:50 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
You remember correctly SATX....was there to see him arrive. My dad flew out of Kelly AFB in the Air Force at the time, and I can not remember if it was open to the public, or just military assigned to the base, but I do remember them landing there and greeting them. He was also suppose to go to Kennedy HS for a visit (if memory serves me, this was the FIRST school in the US named after him...) but he never got there.
Again, this is backwards, as he arrived at SAT, then departed from Kelly.
November 21, 1963: President Kennedy in San Antonio « Inside the Gates

Old 12-01-2012, 09:04 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
I witnessed Kennedy's motorcade travel south on Broadway through AH on the morning of November 21. If he arrive at Kelly, then for some reason he would have had to travel north, then back south towards town.

As another poster mentioned, there was a photo mural in the old Terminal 2 at SAT that showed Kennedy being greeted at San Antonio International. I also have a photo that was snapped by another person near where I was standing on Broadway, that clearly shows JFK and Jackie in the open-top limo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
The President landed at the Airport and departed from Kelly. His motorcade route is below. Aerospace Medical Center was indeed at Brooks.

http://drtlibrary.files.wordpress.co...de-mapwtmk.jpg

Previous discussion of this is also on the following thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...antone-14.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Again, this is backwards, as he arrived at SAT, then departed from Kelly.
November 21, 1963: President Kennedy in San Antonio « Inside the Gates
Thanks for the corrections! I knew we'd discussed this somewhere and my memory is crap now. Up until a few years ago I always figure he's landed at Kelly and assumed he departed there as well. With everyone's combined memories we eventually get it right.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:32 AM

I guess that would make sense since he did make the statement about not having been able to stop for the planned ceremony at Kennedy HS and would be back to do that. I do remember they had bought him a rocking chair as a gift in anticipation of is visit to the school for the ceremony.

What I DO remember is she had on the exact same outfit she work when JFK was shot!!! I suppose now that she has passed, that littlf faux pas of wearing the same pink pillbox hat and suit can be released without too much embarrasment. That was back before camera phones and all that other stuff...so who would have ever known???

Gee SATX...are we getting old or what....as Bob Hope use to sing....Ahhhh yes, I remember that well. LOL

Old 12-02-2012, 12:52 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,841,950 times
Quote:
I guess that would make sense since he did make the statement about not having been able to stop for the planned ceremony at Kennedy HS and would be back to do that. I do remember they had bought him a rocking chair as a gift in anticipation of is visit to the school for the ceremony.

What I DO remember is she had on the exact same outfit she work when JFK was shot!!! I suppose now that she has passed, that littlf faux pas of wearing the same pink pillbox hat and suit can be released without too much embarrasment. That was back before camera phones and all that other stuff...so who would have ever known???

Gee SATX...are we getting old or what....as Bob Hope use to sing....Ahhhh yes, I remember that well. LOL
I'm getting old Paka! You have a better memory than I if you recall what the first lady was wearing. I can understand mistaking an arrival from a departure as a child. Without having actually witnessed the plane landing or taking off. I was about 3 days from my 12th birthday. I faintly recall seeing the motorcade. I do believe they were headed west though. So,...departure from Kelly seems likely. I did see the motorcade route posted some time back. If only we had all had digital cameras back then!

Old 12-02-2012, 12:53 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,878,067 times
Quote:

She wore a white dress and dark hat while in San Antonio and not the famous pink outfit she wore the next day in Dallas.

Here is a glimpse of the outfit she had while in San Antonio.

Jackie Kennedy / Jack and Jackie in San Antonio, 11/21/63, shown with Mrs. Connally. www.facebook.com/...

You are right in that she had worn the outfit before just not the day before. Being a socialite she understood fashion protocol. She still intentionally chose to wear it again with good reason.

Quote:
Few public figures understood the power of fashion the way Jacqueline Kennedy did, and when she packed for Dallas, she chose nothing she hadn't worn before. The goal was not to upstage the president as she had to his delight on a recent trip to Paris, but to exquisitely accentuate him as the 1964 election season kicked off.
Jacqueline Kennedy's pink hat is a missing piece of history - Los Angeles Times

The pink outfit also has its own wiki page which according to it JFK himself helped the First Lady decide which dresses to wear for the trip.

Quote:
So she tramped in and out of his room, holding dresses in front of her. The outfits finally chosen – weather permitting – were all veterans of her wardrobe: beige and white dresses, blue and yellow suits, and, for Dallas, a pink suit with a navy blue collar and a matching pink pillbox hat.
Pink Chanel suit of Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Merovee; 12-02-2012 at 01:06 AM..

Old 12-02-2012, 08:57 AM

500 posts, read 969,642 times
What I'm guessing the important aspect of his visit is the dedication of the Aerospace Medicine Division out at Brooks, correct? I would think that this area of Brooks really put it on the map. I remember even as a kid watching movies, news articles etc.. of astronauts spinning around in that centrifuge.

Of course, growing up in Ft. Worth, we had to endure our own memories of that fateful trip...

Old 12-02-2012, 10:06 AM

I was 10 years old....please cut me a little slack. Hell, I can't even tell you what I had for lunch yesterday these days...LOL

Old 12-02-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpantle View Post
What I'm guessing the important aspect of his visit is the dedication of the Aerospace Medicine Division out at Brooks, correct? I would think that this area of Brooks really put it on the map. I remember even as a kid watching movies, news articles etc.. of astronauts spinning around in that centrifuge.

Of course, growing up in Ft. Worth, we had to endure our own memories of that fateful trip...
Yes, from what I remember, you are correct. I REALLY remember him being sad (or appearing at least) NOT to have made it to the FIRST SCHOOL in the US named after him....he really seemed disappointed about it, and that impacted me since I lived so close to there growning up (Jamar Village, which at the time was almost 100% active duty military folks that worked at Kelly).

My folks bought there in 1956 for about $16K....I attended Winston Elementry, Brentwood Middle and graduated Kennedy HS. My daddy flew C-124's from the 19th Logistics Sq at Kelly, my momma stayed home and raised us kiddos....

Old 12-02-2012, 10:12 AM

I MAY be old, and my memory a bit frayed...but I THINK her outfit at Kelly AFB was EXACTLY the same....I remember her holding roses in the vision in my mind....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio