Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2011, 04:00 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Three tuberculosis cases have been confirmed in San Antonio, and San Antonio Metro Health Department officials say there may at least one more.

News 4 WOAI received an anonymous tip from a viewer Wednesday morning about a couple of cases of TB at the San Antonio AIDS Foundation. We checked into it and found the health department alerted the San Antonio Aids Foundation last week that two of their residents from two different facilities tested positive for TB. The foundation and Metro Health have been working together since then to test all residents, staff, and clients there.
Tuberculosis cases confirmed in San Antonio|WOAI: San Antonio News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 05:32 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,892,818 times
TB is more prevalant than we realize. It appears they found those cases because of diligent testing for exposure. Please do not start a panic with a story that does not have details.
TB is easily transmitted and it is important to keep coughs covered and limited. Be aware of the possible exposure to TB from anywhere, not just health care facilities.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:47 PM

210 posts, read 502,737 times
I'm just glad I'm vaccinated against TB!

Old 11-30-2011, 09:39 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
TB is more prevalant than we realize. It appears they found those cases because of diligent testing for exposure. Please do not start a panic with a story that does not have details.
TB is easily transmitted and it is important to keep coughs covered and limited. Be aware of the possible exposure to TB from anywhere, not just health care facilities.
We just admitted two patients this week ( for other reasons), and both were diagnosed with tuberculosis...

Old 12-01-2011, 05:53 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,412,885 times
TB is absolutely still prevalent, which is why healthcare workers in hospitals have to be tested for it. We also have to look at the story itself. Immunocompromised people are going to see this kind of thing more than others. Not just folks who are HIV +, but the elderly, and children too.

It's that time of year.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:36 AM

545 posts, read 1,062,151 times
I understand that TB is very serious business for AIDS patients, but I'm shocked that this is news. I can all but guarantee there are people sitting in medical quarantine with TB in this city right now. I've visited one before - it's very prevalent in this part of the world.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:32 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
Actually, TB is pretty hard to get. It lives deep in the lungs, so while it's transmitted via coughs, it's got to be a pretty hearty cough to cough it up. Generally we go by more than 8 hours of exposure - so household contacts are at risk, as are office or school mates who are in close contact with the individual for prolonged periods of time. If the person's office is on the other side of the building and you rarely work with them, it's close to nil. If you share an office, work intensely together, etc, then you're at risk.

TB does exist here and this is not news at all. The city has a TB clinic and both local and state health departments fully investigate any incidence of disease, including notifying all contacts and providing testing. Also important to note is "active" vs "latent" disease. Often someone will say "TB confirmed" but they really mean the person had a positive skin test. That does not mean they are sick or infectious. Only a person with *active* disease is infectious and then they are placed in quarantine (which is usually in their own home) until they are no longer infectious.

Old 12-10-2011, 02:28 PM

4 posts, read 5,558 times
There is TB in every large city in the United States. Unless you are immuno-compromised, it is really nothing to lose any sleep over.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:16 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,007,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britishbird View Post
I'm just glad I'm vaccinated against TB!
I don't think there is a TB vaccine.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:26 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
Is there a vaccine against tuberculosis?

Tuberculosis Symptoms, Causes, Treatment - Is there a vaccine against tuberculosis? on MedicineNet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: