Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 12:41 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,409,476 times

Advertisements

Just got a quote from ABC Pest, Pool & Lawn for aerating and top dressing our lawn. They came out and measured, and the actual yard part is 6500 sq ft. They quoted $450 for composting and $150 for aerating.

Is this typical? I have to admit, I was shocked! I thought it would be more like $250-300. Yikes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
I have been quoted $300 for compost by ABC and my lawn's fairly small.

I usually just buy the bags of compost from Garden-Ville or Fertile Garden Supply and spread it myself. I think I've paid about $50 or $60 for enough bagged compost to cover my lawn. The hardest part is lugging the bags around to various parts of the yard... the spreading's not difficult.

I probably should do aerating, but never have. Many of the tool rental places will rent you a core aerator for that job.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:03 PM

Thanks, Bo. I think I might make hubby do it. I mean, we have to spend $1000 on tree trimming at the end of this month, I am not looking forward to spending that! Ugh. Joys of homeownership, I suppose!!

Because of the dry, dry fall & winter we've had, it has been recommended that we aerate this year. It makes sense since our soil is as hard as a rock...

Old 02-08-2011, 01:36 PM

437 posts, read 903,136 times
The lawn work is worth doing yourself. Save the money.

Make sure the tree trimmers paint the cuts on oaks; oak wilt "season" is going to start here really soon. If I remember correctly there's an ordinance making the painting mandatory but I know many trimmers who don't do it, claiming the trees will heal without paint. It's not about the trees healing, it's about not spreading oak wilt...which will kill the oaks.

Last edited by sshurgot; 02-08-2011 at 01:37 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 02-08-2011, 01:54 PM

4,064 posts, read 5,646,222 times
Fertile Garden has pre-bagged or bag-your-own compost and other stuff. As well as quantities that I THINK start as low as half a yard if you can have them load it up in a pickup. They deliver larger quantities for a fee. GardenVille is similar, but check with them first. I heard that they had changed some things.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:30 PM

1,893 posts, read 5,589,057 times
Aerating can be a big chore depending on your physical ability and your landscape but applying compost is pretty easy. Go pick up a pickup load or two and spread it yourself after they are finished aerating. Compost is much lighter than topsoil. It's a nice workout but not brutal. I get my compost from Keller's. It's always nice stuff. I used to bag my own from Gardenville for my garden beds but now they want to sell you prebagged and it's pretty expensive. If I'm going to buy prebagged I'll go to Kellers and get almost twice the compost for the price. I bought compost from Fertile Gardens before and they sold me compost that wasn't finished yet. It looked more like mulch than compost. I've only been there once so maybe it was an isolated incident.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshurgot View Post
The lawn work is worth doing yourself. Save the money.

Make sure the tree trimmers paint the cuts on oaks; oak wilt "season" is going to start here really soon. If I remember correctly there's an ordinance making the painting mandatory but I know many trimmers who don't do it, claiming the trees will heal without paint. It's not about the trees healing, it's about not spreading oak wilt...which will kill the oaks.
Thanks sshurgot! I will definitely make sure they do that. We hired an arborist so hopefully they already know that info but just in case I will check.

Thanks everyone for the tips, especially on the compost.

Old 02-10-2011, 09:01 AM

101 posts, read 170,719 times
Well, FWIW, given the grass around here with rhizomes (runners) I do de-thatching first, then the core aerating, then fertilizing/top-dressing, whichever you prefer. I couldn't find a yard service around here who knew about de-thatching, but Alamo Rentals has tools for both that and aerating. Don't forget to mark your sprinkler system first, if you have one.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:21 PM

81 posts, read 188,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boghaunter View Post
Well, FWIW, given the grass around here with rhizomes (runners) I do de-thatching first, then the core aerating, then fertilizing/top-dressing, whichever you prefer. I couldn't find a yard service around here who knew about de-thatching, but Alamo Rentals has tools for both that and aerating. Don't forget to mark your sprinkler system first, if you have one.
I tried googling for their adress with no luck, can you please post it or a number for them. If you know of a place that has these tools on th NW side will even be better, thank you.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:08 PM

101 posts, read 170,719 times
Blanco Rentals (210) 341-1391 5415 Blanco Rd San Antonio, TX 78216
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio