Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2011, 12:57 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,885 times

Advertisements

Wow, what an awesome WOAI investigation.

In the video from WOAI's website (Undercover Investigation: Aggressive tow truck tactics | WOAI.COM: San Antonio News), the "spotter" stands outside...sees that someone is parking in a tow-away zone, puts a "boot" on it, notifies the guy driving the towing truck, and within 3 minutes the vehicle is towed.

According to state rules, towing companies are NOT allowed to tow a vehicle with a "boot" on it until after 24-hours has passed.

When asked, the "spotter" also didn't inform WOAI's Jaie Avila of his "options," which include paying a "lesser fee" within that 24-hour period to get the car back without paying a larger fee if it were to be towed.

I think everyone should watch this video and be aware of your rights under state rules/regulations. One of the guys who had his vehicle towed was with his two kids who were still in their pajamas. How do these people sleep at night?!

Thanks WOAI for this investigation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2011, 02:08 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
This kind of stuff boils my blood. Speed traps, law enforcement lying, people stealing your own money from your pocket.....disgusting. Horrible.

The fact that these things happen in the United States of America is atrocious.

Old 02-15-2011, 02:30 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,031,823 times
It's Your Vehicle and Money

Wow. The stuff on this website. Un-be-freakin'-lievable. This is America? Really?

Old 02-15-2011, 05:18 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
What I find more amazing is all that people that always tell me
"Let business decide what's good/bad"
I'd like to see their reaction when their car gets towed in 5 minutes.

Old 02-15-2011, 05:26 AM

4,330 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
This kind of stuff boils my blood. Speed traps, law enforcement lying...
Except in this case, it was law enforcement taking action against a private company not operating their business within the law.

How ironic that the "spotter", after he had swooped in to put the boot on Avila's car, was issued a citation by one of the LEOs working the sting, for parking his own vehicle in one of the handicap parking spaces without a permit.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:32 AM

894 posts, read 1,547,553 times
If it was another business ripping people off like this the city and county would do something about it. I applaud WOAI for their extremely well done story. The illegal practices highlighted in their story need to be stopped and the business regulated. Each infraction may be a misdemeanor, but the way they are conducting their business smacks of organized crime. These folks and others like them need to make good to those they have screwed and be run out of business!

Old 02-15-2011, 08:18 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,836,467 times
What got me is how the owners were there in minutes...Unbelievable that he denied that his crew was doing the "boot and tow" shuffle. If he was truly unaware...he would have not been so vehement in saying what his crew was doing was legal...

Old 02-15-2011, 11:46 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,694,284 times
I work in this part of downtown..and this has gone on everyday for YEARS! At least once a week I see a heated argument once the car has been town, the police get called out and I am sure it happens a lot more than I see.

While the signs do clearly indicate the parking is for freight customers only, I have never once seen someone picking up Grayhound Freight, and there is no parking for anyone needing to park to pick up a bus rider.

So Grayhound is clearly doing this on purpose and getting a piece of the pie from the towing company. I would love to see the records of just how many cars have been towed.

Today, the same red tow truck was lying in wait, but the "watcher" and his pimp-mobile were not there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: