Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 10:41 AM

6,707 posts, read 8,780,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
So...did having 3 cars stolen in 10 years convince you to stop buying cars?
It should convince you to secure your belongings, including property that you are responsible for while renting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 02:43 PM

824 posts, read 1,816,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTx View Post
It should convince you to secure your belongings, including property that you are responsible for while renting it.
Yup. Precisely.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:53 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvlpr View Post
So...did having 3 cars stolen in 10 years convince you to stop buying cars?

No - but it was $$$ *I* was spending - not from taxpayers. However, I DID up the ante by installing better alarms....an' keepin' a gun handy.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:24 AM

824 posts, read 1,816,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
No - but it was $$$ *I* was spending - not from taxpayers. However, I DID up the ante by installing better alarms....an' keepin' a gun handy.
I definitely believe the last part.

The idea that "taxpayers" are going to pay for stolen bikes is just...not...correct. The people who rent the bikes will be responsible for them.

To me, this is no different than people who check out books/materials from a public library being responsible for returning them. And, like public libraries, this bike-share system could have a great social benefit.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:09 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
Guess it still technically exists..

San Antonio B-cycle program fails miserably|WOAI: San Antonio News

Old 07-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Bottom line in that article is that the kiosks are broken. They won't take credit cards. It can't make money if it won't take money!

I predicted an unflattering news story would come out about this in less than 3 months. I only missed the mark by a week.

BTW, I had the opportunity to check out one of the B-Cycle kiosks last month at the SA Museum of Art. It all looked sturdy and legitimate enough. I didn't try to rent a bike at that time and I never saw anyone else use it, either.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:34 PM

Downtown isn't even really motorcycle friendly, so I would think bikes that don't make noise would fair even worse.
An unrestricted Harley doesn't have as much of an issue, though, as long as there's plenty of walls to bounce the sound off.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:47 PM

841 posts, read 1,747,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Bottom line in that article is that the kiosks are broken. They won't take credit cards. It can't make money if it won't take money!

I predicted an unflattering news story would come out about this in less than 3 months. I only missed the mark by a week.

BTW, I had the opportunity to check out one of the B-Cycle kiosks last month at the SA Museum of Art. It all looked sturdy and legitimate enough. I didn't try to rent a bike at that time and I never saw anyone else use it, either.

You know, I stopped watching WOAI a few years ago because their "news" was just worthless, in my opinion. The reporter tries ONE station and says "fail"? I know many people who regularly use the program and have never had a problem. By the way, the Express News had an article in Sunday's paper, and the only negative I remember mentioned was the bike's weight.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:32 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,723 times
WOAI can eat it for writing this good-for-nothing story: Likely, they were doing something wrong, as I use bikes from the kiosk at Blue Star almost DAILY and have never had issue. Ever.

B-Cycle rocks. It's progressive and fits in well with a downtown that IS very bike friendly. I'm a resident down here, see it all the time and can tell you first-hand that SA is becoming a huge biking city

BN

Old 07-07-2011, 07:06 AM

The city is calling it a success, so it must be..

City says new bike-sharing program a big success|WOAI: San Antonio News

the comments don't seem to agree with the city
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio