Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 08:09 AM

62 posts, read 105,331 times

Advertisements

We live in AH and like it because of the older homes, proximity to lots of things, walkability, city services, etc. If you tend to like newer homes, then it might not be the place for you.

There are certainly some parts of AH that are rife with snobbery, but it's not all like that. I don't even feel like the majority of AH is like that, but maybe I just haven't encountered it. Our street is one of nice, yet modest, homes and people who seem genuinely nice. My husband and I certainly aren't "old money" - pretty much middle class stock. We're pretty down to earth people, to be honest.

Anyway, OP - take another look around AH but don't feel compelled to buy here just b/c your realtor is pushing you to do so. There are lots of other places that might fit your needs better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 08:41 AM

905 posts, read 1,631,478 times
Default Balloonfest today!!

at Cambridge right after school. Stop by, get an idea of how the parents and kiddos are at A.H.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:13 PM

417 posts, read 816,504 times
Thanks to everyone who replied to my post...I sincerely appreciate the feedback.

I am going to AH tomorrow to look at places to live. I intend to be very open-minded. In addition, I asked my agent to look up some houses that are a little closer to my work, around the area where I'm temporarily living.

I feel stressed that I haven't found the right place, but then again, I feel happy to be spoiled for choice - that's probably the reason it's so hard!

Old 04-01-2011, 09:17 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopycat View Post
Please don't take this question the wrong way - let me explain before I upset anyone - but why is Alamo Heights considered to be such a desirable area?

Is it the school system? Alamo Quarry and Lincoln Heights shopping centers? I am trying to find a house or townhouse (prefer a house) somewhere in San Antonio, but can't really find something I like well enough to buy. Most of the houses I have seen are really, really big and since I'm single, I don't need much space. I need to live within a reasonable commuting distance of I-10 and Wurzbach.

My agent swears by Alamo Heights, and ALL of my coworkers say that AH is a great place - one coworker wishes she had not rushed into moving because she would have chosen Alamo Heights.

Given the positive feelings people have for AH, I am going back there this weekend to look at more properties. I have already seen some townhouses, and this time I am going to see townhouses and houses. The problem is, outside of Alamo Quarry/Lincoln Heights area, I don't really see the appeal of AH. I want to like it there because properties appreciate in value there, but maybe I haven't driven to the right areas. Maybe I'm just not comfortable in AH because I have tended to live in newer neighborhoods and newer homes.

Are there some areas of Alamo Heights I should try not to miss? Are there bad sections to avoid? Are all of the properties out there older? I really like the Alamo Quarry and Lincoln Heights sections, but those are expensive. I am not trying to offend AH residents; I really want to like that area, and I'm wondering why I'm the only one who doesn't understand its charm.
low crime, close to wifes work, central location for my business, quiet, peaceful, lots of trees, police department isnt as bad as most small town pds (aka balcones heights).

those are just a few reasons im happy with my house thats on the border of alamo heights. still in the 78209 zip code, but actually IN alamo heights.

Old 04-05-2011, 09:16 PM

6 posts, read 11,920 times
i was a transplant to AH as a young boy. i pretty much grew up there so i definitely know the area, and there are good things and bad things.

if a great school district is important to you, either for your own children or for rental or sale potential in an investment property, then you wont be able to do better in the san antonio area. if you have specific questions about the schools, i can get into more details on that later if you want.

but of course nothing is free, and you pay for these great schools through huge property taxes. so if schools arent important to you, then this can instead be a huge drawback of living there.

another perk is that AH is in a central location with relatively easy access to the whole city. and better yet, most everything you need is located in or very near to "the bubble", so you dont usually need to go very far in the first place, saving on time and gas.

but as others have said, there is an old-money aristocracy that pretty much runs the politics of the town and has a very exclusive social circle. but because its exclusive, it keeps to itself, and youll probably never even know its there unless youre the type to join the country club. but most people in AH are just upper/middle class families raising their kids in a safe, quiet neighborhood with great schools, and so the overall feel is similar to pretty much any other affluent suburb.

the area is also really safe, probably the safest there is inside 1604.
but again, the 'downside' of this is that the AH police department is very obnoxious. they are only beat out by the terrell hills PD that borders AH so youll surely encounter them at some point too. but if you drive the right car (which i didnt in high school) and follow the city ordinances (the only one that bothers me is the mandatory rule of no cars parked on the street over night. its reasonable, but i dont like being told what to do) they probably wont bother you much.

anyway, if i were moving back to san antonio now as the single, young professional with no kids that i am, id probably move to the area just south of alamo heights, in the vacinity of Trinity and the University of Incarnate Word. areas such as Manke Park. its an area with lots of potential, and i wouldnt be suprised if it has been revitalized in recent years. its close to all the things that make alamo heights advantageous, but also very close to downtown and the urban renewal developments down there (such as the pearl brewery and north riverwalk expansion). its also close to the witte museum, botanical gardens, brackenridge park, mcnay art museum, the zoo, golf courses, HEB central market (better than whole foods in my opinion), plus the aformentioned universities (great rental potential). so you get many of the advantages of alamo heights thru close proximity, but its much more affordable to live there. just my two cents, but might be worth asking your realtor about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio