Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 12:55 AM

10 posts, read 14,812 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am 24 year old male from Mumbai, India. I have lived in D.C. for almost 3 years now and I recently got a job offer in San Antonio. I visited SA for 2 days during the interview process and that was my first trip to TX. I know that you can't really judge a city in 2 days but my first impression as compared to D.C. was that SA doesn't offer too much to do in terms of social life. I visited the river walk and it definitely appears to be vastly over-hyped.

Do you guys who have lived up there agree with me? Any NoVA transplants that live in SA now?

Also, I would hate to be judgmental and jump to the conclusions but TX always gets mixed reviews about attitude towards the immigrants and about racism. What's your take on that?

I am extremely open-minded and would like to know how is the interracial dating scenario for someone from the subcontinent?

Would anyone be able recommend any neighborhoods near zip code 78256?

I am sorry if I have offended anyone but I am just trying to get different perspectives before I make the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 01:09 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronydc86 View Post
Hi,

I am 24 year old male from Mumbai, India. I have lived in D.C. for almost 3 years now and I recently got a job offer in San Antonio. I visited SA for 2 days during the interview process and that was my first trip to TX. I know that you can't really judge a city in 2 days but my first impression as compared to D.C. was that SA doesn't offer too much to do in terms of social life. I visited the river walk and it definitely appears to be vastly over-hyped.

Do you guys who have lived up there agree with me? Any NoVA transplants that live in SA now?

Also, I would hate to be judgmental and jump to the conclusions but TX always gets mixed reviews about attitude towards the immigrants and about racism. What's your take on that?

I am extremely open-minded and would like to know how is the interracial dating scenario for someone from the subcontinent?

Would anyone be able recommend any neighborhoods near zip code 78256?

I am sorry if I have offended anyone but I am just trying to get different perspectives before I make the move.
I'll send you a DM regarding San Antonio. In my opinion, it sucks. Unfortunately, we lived there for 3 years.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:09 AM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,241 times
I've only lived in one place other then Texas but I will say with that experience plus everything I've read here San Antonio is probably going to be one of the more diverse places you can live. It's also a military town so I can't imagine there being a problem with interracial dating. Not to say you won't meet your random racist but that's going to be anywhere. I recently had a chance to meet lots of New Englanders and was shocked when several told me their entire town was anglo. It was also a huge problem for me that where we lived in NC was so segregated. We live in what was considered the "anglo" part of SA for years and it is very much integrated here which is a big reason we wanted to come back.

I'll have to let someone else talk about the social aspect as I'm years out of your age-group. Regardless of how "overrated" the Riverwalk of SA may be, you'll have alot more money to play with if you move here as the East Coast is expensive by comparison!

Old 04-07-2011, 07:09 AM

5,142 posts, read 13,119,222 times
Did you take a look at the relocation sticky yet? Here it is if you haven't taken a gander: //www.city-data.com/forum/san-a...index-san.html

Old 04-07-2011, 10:45 AM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,063 times
There is a fair sized Indian population in San Antonio. Many folks are concentrated in the NW - near the USAA / Med School complexes. I've worked with these folks and haven't seen them flip out about San Antonio being unfriendly. Yes, SA is a smaller venue than DC and lacks that excitement.

My view if you can't adapt to this - don't come here. One of my best coworkers was a Jain and she was marrying an Anglo guy - made her parents a little upset but they got over it.

The colleges have significant numbers of young students from the subcontinent - if they are attracted here - then the area works for them.

I've transitioned from high urban to the SA life style - with some other laid back areas in between. It can be done.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:36 AM

20 posts, read 44,346 times
You wouldn't happen to have interviewed for Rackspace?

Old 04-07-2011, 11:53 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,009 times
How much do you want the job?

No, SA is not DC, nowhere near close, but it's not a bad place to live if the job is worthwhile for you, and if you're open to differences and living somewhere new.

Yes, the Riverwalk (U-section) is mainly a tourist attraction, doesn't make it nice. That it exists, along with the Museum and Mission reaches newly open, offers a nice place for locals to enjoy as well. There is plenty to do for a young single person, depending upon your interests. However, I would suggest *not* living in 78256, even if it's close to work. Head to downtown/southtown/Monte Vista/near north. These areas are much more lively, dynamic, lots of art, music, and diverse than the suburbs. Commute to that area would be anywhere from 20-35 minutes, depending on exactly where you're located. It's a reverse commute so no traffic (and yeah, traffic here is nothing like DC, but still, who wants to sit in traffic?!) Yes, there is a large Indian population in the medical area (near 78256), but I gather you're not just looking to be around other Indians. Most of the Indians I know here came here with their families and the few who were single married other Indians, by choice though, not due to any bias by non-Asians against interracial dating. I know plenty of other mixed couples though.

I can't tell you whether or not you should move here. I do know that I moved here for a job (having lived in various places around the world - urban and less urban) as a young single person and found a vibrant, dynamic, interesting city with lots to do every day of the week (too much, I'm exhausted by all the stuff going on). If you do move here, I wouldn't bother living in the suburbs though, even if mileage wise is closer to work. (Suburbs are perfectly fine if that's your thing, but it sounds like it's not, which is why I direct you to alternate locations).

Are you on Facebook? If so, Like the Southtown page and Downtown SA page, from there you'll see lots of stuff going on as well as be able to communicate with those who live and play in these areas.

Last edited by Chaka; 04-07-2011 at 12:36 PM..

Old 04-07-2011, 11:56 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimicoconuts View Post
You wouldn't happen to have interviewed for Rackspace?
Rackspace is in 78229 or 78218.
Zip 78256 is a bit further North/Northwest along I-10.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:38 PM

10 posts, read 14,812 times
Thanks all for your replies. I realize that it would probably be a better idea to move closer to downtown. Is downtown where riverwalk is? What else is out there to do in downtown?

i will be working close to the zip code 78229. From what I understand if I am traveling from downtown to 78229, I'll be driving opposite to the traffic.

I am used to more diverse surrounding and hate to be surrounded with just one community. (Nothing wrong with it but it's just a matter of individual preference)

Downtown in all cities always has some bad parts. If I am moving downtown what parts should avoid and which ones should I prefer? I heard that I should avoid the south side or east side of SA and go as north as possible.

What would be the rent for a 1BD or a studio in downtown? I read that Alamo heights is supposed to be one of the best neighborhoods but I feel it's a bit further out from my workplace and the downtown.

I enjoy biking and volleyball. Does anyone know of any good trails around here?

Thanks again...

Last edited by ronydc86; 04-07-2011 at 06:47 PM..

Old 04-07-2011, 08:59 PM

1,552 posts, read 2,329,063 times
Not my thing but there are active biking clubs around here. I pass them on the weekends heading out into the country.

Alamo Heights is snobby old money. Ducking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio