Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 01:46 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,743,642 times

Advertisements

Hi all;

I've lived here in Texas all my life and SA for more than half of it, but I still have a weather question for y'all.

We were recently married out of state and as a result, many of our close friends were not able to afford to travel to our wedding. So, we want to have an "at home" reception here in town to celebrate with those who couldn't come to the wedding but as you can imagine, our budget is now very very tight.

We thought that having a casual affair at Brackenridge park at the Koehler pavilion would be a budget friendly solution, however, our only free time to do this will be in summer and we're concerned about the heat.

We haven't thrown out the idea entirely though. We are thinking that maybe if we can do this in the evening hours, say 5pm to 8 or 9, then it will not be so uncomfortable, but I know that eventually it gets to the point that it's "too hot" even at night, here in SA, so I am wondering at what point the weather will be uncomfortable even for a nighttime outdoor event? Obviously we don't want everyone miserable and sweating and wanting to leave!

Basically, is this something we need to do ASAP or could we get away with it in late June, maybe? I know right now the nights are pleasant. But how long will that last? I am one who avoids heat at all costs so I really don't know, most summers I am hell bent on being in the A/C 24/7!

I am going on the assumption that the pavilion can be rented later in the day... maybe I am wrong on that. I know the park closes at 11 so i assumed the pavilion would be rent-able until 8 or 9 (?)...

Appreciate thoughts on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 04:30 PM

2,216 posts, read 4,541,177 times
Well at 5 pm it can still be in the 90s so if you are wanting to avoid heat, that's probably not the solution. What about just having it at your house? You can set stuff up for outside and for those who are too hot, can mingle inside.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:54 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabride View Post
Maybe if we can do this in the evening hours, say 5pm to 8 or 9, then it will not be so uncomfortable.
For me, I hate the summer. I just hate it with a passion even though I'm born and raised here in SA (so I am used to it). It's brutal and it can be dangerous if you're out there too long during the summer; it's not uncommon for temperatures to still be in the upper 90's even all the way until 830 p.m. Fortunately, the pavillion is shaded so it will be cooler but it'll still be hot out.

If you absolutely have to do it outside, you're going to need plenty of water, and many large metal fans.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
Between May 1 and October 1, you'll want to wait to start an event like that no earlier than an hour before sunset.

Sunrise and Sunset for U.S.A. – Texas – San Antonio – coming days

Old 04-17-2011, 07:27 PM

36 posts, read 95,980 times
As several other folks have already indicated, you are probably looking at needing to do this NOW, and it likely is still going to be a bit uncomfortable. There is a reason why the big SA events are in Winter and Spring - just ask any of the Tourist Centers.

That said, you do have some options if you want something comfortable for a decent sized group of folks without too huge an investment.

You mentioned Brackenridge Park, and some of the larger pavilions have the big fans that can help keep things from getting too stale. There are also places in town that you can rent out fairly cheap - although the cost depends on whether you want your own section of the area, or actually the whole place.

Perhaps you could let us know how many people and what you had in mind and see if we can suggest any specific places?

Old 04-17-2011, 08:18 PM

Hi everyone and thanks for the responses. I am short on time so forgive the lack of individually targeted replies.

Anyway, my house is too small and just not good for entertaining. It would be around 50 people.

I think NOW would be an ideal time for this, temp wise, but unfortunately, no time or money for that at the moment.

I don't know where else I can find this sort of affordable option though, but I am planning on calling some VFW halls this week, since that's another suggestion I've been given as an affordable option.

We would prefer our 'own' area to be somewhat private but its not an absolute necessity. We just want a space to have your usual reception activities; food, drink, and some dancing and music. And we'd really like to be able to put up some decorations. Nothing over the top, but something that still makes it special.

I do think that the ability to bring our own food is a biggie though for a cost-savings factor.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:40 PM

679 posts, read 1,802,820 times
Well I haven't lived here for too long, but -- we went to a lunch BBQ in the Hill Country at a park with lots of trees on the 4th of July. It was hot, but tolerable. I guess I'm usually OK if I'm dressed in something cool, there's a breeze, trees, grass, and cold beer. Anyway, I really think it depends on the venue. Lots of trees (shade) and grass instead of concrete or stone patio makes a huge difference.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:16 PM

9,851 posts, read 13,698,680 times
Many summer weddings in Texas happen right after the end of the Spring semester in college or even the 2-3 weeks after the school semester for regular kids. That puts you in later may early June. That's kind of late, but its the truth.

But that may just be from my own youthful experience and my age group (mid to late 20s).

Old 04-17-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Many summer weddings in Texas happen right after the end of the Spring semester in college or even the 2-3 weeks after the school semester for regular kids. That puts you in later may early June. That's kind of late, but its the truth.

But that may just be from my own youthful experience and my age group (mid to late 20s).
Good point. I dunno, I am a decade ahead of you but I have hated the heat as long as I can remember, growing up in texas, even as a little girl.

I guess I will re-assess the park possibility when we actually have the money availableto do something!

Old 04-18-2011, 11:45 AM

554 posts, read 1,067,764 times
The only thing I really don't like about SA are the brutally hot and dry summers, and this looks to be a killer one coming on. You mentioned a 5 o'clock start time. Keep in mind that 5 o'clock is about the hottest part of the day here. Having said that, you can probably escape the hottest part of the summer if you have your event by the end of June. After that you will probably want to wait until mid-September or beyond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio