Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 07:43 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times

Advertisements

There was a recent story of a high school student who was killed crossing Walzem near the high school there. A followup to the story talked about how MANY students there like to cross the 6 lanes of traffic to eat lunch across the street, I assume at various fast food places.

I wasn't even aware that some schools allowed to students to leave campus for lunch.

Does anyone know if this is generally allowed in public schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 07:51 AM

9,853 posts, read 13,706,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post

I wasn't even aware that some schools allowed to students to leave campus for lunch.

Does anyone know if this is generally allowed in public schools?

It is usually a thing for juniors and seniors. or at least that's how it was for me in 2003. Depending on the program the student is in, they may not be on campus proper. Independent study, work programs, vocational programs, etc. It's a lot different than it used to be where the only free time students had was the 5/6 minutes to go from class to class. I think the bigger concern is the illegal crossing. It's been fatal and isn't just a student issue. But that's a different thread completely.

Old 01-15-2014, 08:17 AM

1,158 posts, read 1,738,061 times
Back when I was attending Roosevelt High School in the mid 80' , it was a closed campus. The only students who were allowed off campus were those who were on a work program. I'm guessing by having a closed campus, the administration was trying to curb truancy. Back then Windsor Park Mall was thriving.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:18 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,481,358 times
When I attended MacArthur (same school district) in the early 2000s, it was a closed campus. Only those on work release or in some special program like student teaching could leave.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:09 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,240,688 times
I worked in the Wurzbach/I-10 area in the 1980s. Some of the fast food places around there, like Wendy's Sombrero Rosa, and Mr. Gatti's, were popular with the Clark High School crowd around 12:00 noon. A lady who worked in my office had a daughter attending Marshall, and she said the seniors in NISD schools were allowed to leave the campus during the lunch period.

Alamo Heights had an "open" campus during the lunch period in the 1970s, but IIRC, they curtailed it somewhat after that -- had to have written permission from the parent to leave the campus, and freshmen couldn't leave at all. It seemed some merchants around the school were complaining of students loitering during lunch, and some parents were expressing concern that their child could leave campus without supervision. I don't know what the current AHISD policy is.

AHISD and NISD are the only two area districts I am aware of that have or had an open campus policy during the lunch period.

Old 01-15-2014, 04:45 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,879,647 times
Schools where more of the students drove cars to school themselves were more likely to institute policies allowing leaving during the lunch period.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:36 PM

2,649 posts, read 7,442,886 times
NEISD I believe has a district wide ban on off campus lunch still. That doesn't mean that students won't sneak off campus to get Lunch.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:18 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,559,114 times
NEISD does not allow students to leave campus for lunch. The only exception is on exam days, Seniors (with written and verified permission) may leave campus for lunch on the day their lunch period is scheduled for exams. I believe the overall thought is that, even with a 50 minute lunch period, students would be rushing to get back, and could have/cause an accident.

However, I think one of the bigger issues here is students not using the crosswalks. Today, a student from Larkspur was KILLED (yes it was a hit and run driver), and she was not using the crosswalk. You would not BELIEVE how many parents REFUSE to use the crosswalk or wait for the crossing guard, and will walk in front of a BIG YELLOW MOVING BUS. When we ask them to please use the crosswalk, more often than not, we get attitude. Children see this, and they, too, try to run across. Despite the speed limits, school zone signs, and no cell phone use signs, so many drivers are speeding, on their phone, or both.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:42 AM

114 posts, read 161,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pobre View Post
However, I think one of the bigger issues here is students not using the crosswalks. Today, a student from Larkspur was KILLED (yes it was a hit and run driver), and she was not using the crosswalk. You would not BELIEVE how many parents REFUSE to use the crosswalk or wait for the crossing guard, and will walk in front of a BIG YELLOW MOVING BUS. When we ask them to please use the crosswalk, more often than not, we get attitude. Children see this, and they, too, try to run across. Despite the speed limits, school zone signs, and no cell phone use signs, so many drivers are speeding, on their phone, or both.
The new Walmart in Helotes is across from Keuntze Elementary and O'Connor High School. There isn't a crosswalk along that stretch of Leslie and the high school students cross it where ever they can get across to go to WM or Taco Bell. The traffic, especially after school, can be very bad. I am concerned there will be a fatality there, too.

Old 01-19-2014, 08:10 AM

733 posts, read 1,047,846 times
how many points are juniors and seniors worth?

[Mod cut: off topic]

Last edited by elnina; 01-19-2014 at 11:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio