Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 10:17 PM

10 posts, read 16,123 times

Advertisements

Hey, I am moving to SA to work at BAMC. Have been reading through posts and have some questions.
First off I have lived in Manhattan for 8 years, would like to live in a bustling area. I have a 45lb dog, I would like an 800-1000 sq ft apt for $1200, in a downtown area apt building, with pool, and staff to accept packages. Also would like close proximity to bars/restaurants and other younger professionals. I would also like to be close to a dog park/doggie day care. Also would like to be a 10-15 minute drive to BAMC.
So, I've heard the Vistana is nice but loud and rude staff, I've heard King William area is nice, but the places i've looked at online (St Benedicts/Blue star) seem very desolate. I liked the area around the Valencia, but the Majestic doesn't allow dogs. Aside from magically finding a condo to rent at Alteza or Virrado, it seems downtown living that im used to is very difficult to find in SA. Any suggestions? Oh and BTW I really liked my visit to SA, I just want to be able to experience it walking/running/biking, not driving around. Looking forward to hearing responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 08:05 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,856 times
Yes, it's true SA's downtown is nowhere near what you have in Manhattan. Not by a long shot. We've only recently gotten some highrise apt towers and there aren't many.

What about St Benedicts seems desolate? It's in the midst of a bustling area, probably more active than a lot of downtown. Southtown, where St Benedicts and Blue Star are located is pretty much the center of activity for music and art on a regular basis. Other near downtown neighborhoods are nice too, but I think Southtown has more going on regularly(except on Sundays, when everyone seems to sleep). it's still nowhere near as bustling as Manhattan, SA overall is a very laid back kind of city, so you'll need to adapt to that. We have a number of neighbors in Southtown who've moved here from Manhattan in the past few years and are loving it.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:18 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,034,474 times
Virrado? Don't you mean Vidorra? Oh, and welcome to SA from NYC. I'm an ex-New Yorker, too. It's quite a culture shock, but you get used to it, quickly, this city's got plenty of awesome stuff and awesome people!

Minus the DUIs, of course.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:26 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,695,312 times
It might be normal where you are from, but keeping a 45lb dog in an apartment is basically considered animal cruelty in Texas(not legally). Get something with a yard, you are not in NYC anymore.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:40 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,340,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
It might be normal where you are from, but keeping a 45lb dog in an apartment is basically considered animal cruelty in Texas(not legally). Get something with a yard, you are not in NYC anymore.

I think it will be difficult to find an apartment that will even accept a 45-pound dog. Most have a 25-pound limit don't they??

Old 04-08-2011, 08:40 AM

574 posts, read 1,339,097 times
Culture shock is putting it lightly. The areas you've researched would fit the "look" maybe you are going for, but the "feel" of a bustling city anywhere in San Antonio is pretty nonexistent. There are sporadic fits of busyness, but nothing on any level comparable to NYC. Now if you are the type looking to slow down a bit with some (very few) comforts of home you should be okay. The transistion will take some getting used to, but with the right attitude, good group of friends/assocs. (and alcohol...lots of it) you too may find yourself calling SA "home".

Good luck with your move.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:43 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,852,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveesor View Post
Hey, I am moving to SA to work at BAMC. Have been reading through posts and have some questions.
First off I have lived in Manhattan for 8 years, would like to live in a bustling area. I have a 45lb dog, I would like an 800-1000 sq ft apt for $1200, in a downtown area apt building, with pool, and staff to accept packages. Also would like close proximity to bars/restaurants and other younger professionals. I would also like to be close to a dog park/doggie day care. Also would like to be a 10-15 minute drive to BAMC.
So, I've heard the Vistana is nice but loud and rude staff, I've heard King William area is nice, but the places i've looked at online (St Benedicts/Blue star) seem very desolate. I liked the area around the Valencia, but the Majestic doesn't allow dogs. Aside from magically finding a condo to rent at Alteza or Virrado, it seems downtown living that im used to is very difficult to find in SA. Any suggestions? Oh and BTW I really liked my visit to SA, I just want to be able to experience it walking/running/biking, not driving around. Looking forward to hearing responses.
You said it. And "bustling"? Lol, right.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:56 AM

10 posts, read 16,123 times
I meant desolate by what I could find online and Google maps. There seemed to be a lot of empty lots around there. Of course that is only online and why I appreciate the input here. I am not sure of what the southtown area consists of but it sounds nice also.
I've also heard the Tobin Hill area is vibrant also, there seems to be a lot of rich cultural areas in SA that sound amazing.
My dog gets at least 3 different hour runs a day here. More than most dogs with yards get. By no means is he wanting of anything, except maybe a swim and a good squirrel chase.
I was Just trying to see recommendations for an energetic busy area with nice apartment building. As far as places with yyards, are there any in an area where I could walk to a restaurant / bar and meet other people?

Old 04-08-2011, 09:09 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveesor View Post
I meant desolate by what I could find online and Google maps. There seemed to be a lot of empty lots around there. Of course that is only online and why I appreciate the input here. I am not sure of what the southtown area consists of but it sounds nice also.
I've also heard the Tobin Hill area is vibrant also, there seems to be a lot of rich cultural areas in SA that sound amazing.
My dog gets at least 3 different hour runs a day here. More than most dogs with yards get. By no means is he wanting of anything, except maybe a swim and a good squirrel chase.
I was Just trying to see recommendations for an energetic busy area with nice apartment building. As far as places with yyards, are there any in an area where I could walk to a restaurant / bar and meet other people?
Southtown = Lavaca, King William and SoFlo historic/arts districts. Located just south of downtown proper, bordered by Durango, I-37, Hwy 90, and Ih-10 for the larger version, most housing is concentrated in a smaller area.

We live on a .25 acre lot, and can walk in 5-15 minutes to:
La Frite
Friendly Spot
Blue Star
Taco Haven
Bubblehead
La Foccacia
Rosarios
and more.... Eating out in Southtown, San Antonio, TX (http://www.southtown.net/dining/index.html - broken link) this is a very old page, hasn't been updated in a long time, but it shows thegeneral area. Restaurants/bars have been added and/or changed, but you get the idea. I can be at the Alamo in 15-20 by foot, depending on how hot it is and how fast I walk So yeah, you can have a yard and walk to everything. As I said elsewhere, Like the Southtown fan page on facebook and you'll get lots of local info.

As for vacant lots, there are some, but St Benedicts is pretty filled in now. Blue Star is on the edge of Southtown, and yes it's next to an old factory and some vacant areas, but also is the center of art in the area. There's also Hemisview Village - these are new and next to the highway, but across from Hemisfair park and an easy walk to everything, it's also kind of on the edge and yes there's a large vacant lot there still. They tore down what was the projects and are slowly putting in a combo of apts and townhouses. Too close to the highway for me but nice.

There are also many lofts and small units downtown. We have friends in a gorgeous downtown apt where the building is offices but the top floors hold 3 apartments. Your best bet is to contact the realtors who specialize in downtown.

I like Tobin Hill, Alta Vista, Monte Vista, but others here can tell you more about those areas and their proximity to activities.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:29 AM

915 posts, read 1,905,042 times
I lived in NYC for 7 years. San Antonio does not resemble a northeast city in any fashion. You may want to consider renting a house in one of the aforementioned neighborhoods. If walking to most necessities is very important, King William will give you the closest thing you will find here. Unfortunately, they dont have a grocery store.

Monte Vista, by example, is 2 miles north of downtown and provides very easy access to groceries, downtown, southtown, museums, parks etc. by car, bike, or public transit. There are some walkable bars and restaurants.

BTW, St Benedicts is not in a desolate area. It is on the main road through King William.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio