Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 08:55 AM

779 posts, read 1,660,770 times

Advertisements

Anyone see the speed trap yesterday between 281 & 410 (northstar area headed to I-10)?

There was a cop with his laser on the overpass tagging everyone on 410.
In that short drive I counted 10 cops that had people pulled over. Insanity.

This was around 7:30-8:00.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 08:59 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,588,394 times
Why were they pulling cars over?

Old 05-12-2011, 09:05 AM

779 posts, read 1,660,770 times
Speeding I assume, and while I know the response i'll get "well then they should've been pulled over", but I'm just curious how accurate that radar can be at that distance. How could you tell that one specific car out of all of the traffic was the speeder?

And I thought the cop that pulled you over has to have your speed on his radar? Or is that just a rumor that I heard at one point in time?

Old 05-12-2011, 09:07 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nismospec View Post
Speeding I assume, and while I know the response i'll get "well then they should've been pulled over", but I'm just curious how accurate that radar can be at that distance. How could you tell that one specific car out of all of the traffic was the speeder?

And I thought the cop that pulled you over has to have your speed on his radar? Or is that just a wives tale?
the newer laser radars have a crosshair built into them. its pretty neat and fairly accurate at tagging the car. idk about accuracy with speed though...

/my passport, however, has no issues picking them up before they tag me.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:15 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
There is no such thing as a speed trap, what you saw was speed enforcement. If people are driving at or below the speed limit, there is nothing to worry about. Those breaking the laws are the ones being targeted, and they have no one to blame for being caught but themselves.

Actually, I'm glad to see the SAPD doing their job!

And, to answer your question, operated correctly a RADAR unit is VERY accurate; LIDAR even moreso. The best way to prevent being caught is to obey the speed limit!

Old 05-12-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
There is no such thing as a speed trap, what you saw was speed enforcement. If people are driving at or below the speed limit, there is nothing to worry about. Those breaking the laws are the ones being targeted, and they have no one to blame for being caught but themselves.

And, to answer your question, operated correctly a RADAR unit is VERY accurate; LIDAR even moreso. The best way to prevent being caught is to obey the speed limit!
oh you and your truths and logics. whatever will you do when the 'its my right to speed so gtfo the left lane if im going faster than you' crowd hits this thread?

seriously, slow down. 5 over i can understand; im guilty of that myself. but anything more is just excessive and you deserve to be pulled over.

/cant wait for them to really start enforcing the no-text-while-driving law....

Old 05-12-2011, 09:23 AM

4,145 posts, read 10,427,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post

Again...AMEN.

Don't speed, don't worry. It's a pretty simple idea.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:23 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
I have no problem obeying the speed limit if and only if it's.....APPROPRIATE! If it's artificially low for the purpose of revenue generation, it is just plain wrong.

I saw 2 officers in Dodge Chargers (possibly the same one?) yesterday on 410 by the 10 interchange with 2 victims pulled over. This was mid-day shortly prior to noon, I believe. So they're doing this enforcement on a rather regular basis & it's NOT the end of the month! Hmmmm....perhaps revenue generation isn't the motivation, but safety. It's SAPD, I trust them more than some of the garbage out there.

On another note: what do you guys think about the 60-mph speed limit on 410. Do you think it should be 65 instead? Or will people just go 75 then, since so many were going 70 mph yesterday?

Old 05-12-2011, 09:24 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
Again...AMEN.

Don't speed, don't worry. It's a pretty simple idea.
In principle, it would be. But you'd be surprised how often errors are made, whether by choosing a completely wrong car or by attributing the wrong speed to a car. It's happened before, is happening today and will continue happening.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
I have no problem obeying the speed limit if and only if it's.....APPROPRIATE! If it's artificially low for the purpose of revenue generation, it is just plain wrong.
sorry dude. your opinions do not matter to the police. if you are speeding, you get fined. it doesnt matter if you think the speed limit is justified or not. if you have an issue with it, write your congress critter.

you should know that they are looking at increasing the limits on new highways to 80mph though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio