Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 12:02 PM

487 posts, read 1,118,240 times

Advertisements

I did a search looking for advice about Craig's List but didn't find anything. I'm just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get your stuff to sell. I made 2 posts on Wednesday. One sold by noon and the other (furniture) is now about 1,400 posts down the line. No one will ever see it!

Obviously next time I'll wait until Friday or Saturday to post something so it will be closer to the top for the weekend. Anyway, I don't know if I can delete my item and then repost it or not. All it says it you can't post twice in the same category within 48 hours. I'd like to delete mine and repost it in the morning.

Anyway, if anyone has any tips or suggestions they would be much appreciated.
Have a happy & safe holiday weekend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 12:24 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,808 times
if youre trying to push something fast, delete your old posting and repost it once a day. i usually repost items im trying to unload fast around 11-2pm when people are awake and bein productive. posting at 2am will ensure almost no one sees your stuff.

you can post as much as you like, the guidelines are just that, guidelines. delete your old posting, repost a new one every 24 hours and youre sure to sell it.

also, if its not selling, you might want to incrementally lower your price, say 5$ every couple of reposts.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:29 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,840,234 times
#1 - pics, lots of pics

#2 - be cautious - lots of potential scammers/thieves. When I put something up there and someone comes by, it's already in the garage and I've got a pistol on my hip with a shirt pulled over it.

#3 - be ready for a few idjits - I've met some really NICE folks, and in several instances even sweetened a deal when we realized that we were dealing with some folks that were just trying to get stuff to restart life with. In one case, we sold a bed and GAVE 'em the matching dresser and nightstands simply because we could tell they would appreciate (and use) it.

99% of the time, it's a decent deal. Realize that folks are looking for "deals" - you are NOT gonna get 50% of retail (most times) on furniture, etc. Tools you can get pretty good prices on, but everything else, think "garage sale prices". You may get more, but for me, when I'm ready to put it on Craigslist I'm ready for it to be *gone*, and price it accordingly.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:30 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,840,234 times
Had a buddy reposting every day - Craigslist finally pulled his posting priveleges for a month. Why not follow the rules of a site that gives you free access - is it so hard to do?

Old 05-27-2011, 12:32 PM

second on the post lots of pictures. if its an item that has a lot of detail to it, use photobucket or imageshack for pic hosting. theyre both free and will give you a link for craigslist that will show a much bigger picture (the code is <a href="(picture URL here without the parenthesis)">

Old 05-27-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Had a buddy reposting every day - Craigslist finally pulled his posting priveleges for a month. Why not follow the rules of a site that gives you free access - is it so hard to do?
someone reported him thats why. there are TONS of people, especially businesses, who repost once, twice, sometimes more in a given day. craigslist only takes action when someone reports them.

in your buddys case, he must have gone out of his way to tick someone off. when i need to unload something fast, ill repost once a day BUT i delete my previous posting so it appears only once on their site.

-edit-

just check out the guy that posts from a 210-833 number selling computer services in the non-service section. that guy gets flagged at least 10 times a day, reposts when he's flagged and he's been doing it for a good month now.

Old 05-27-2011, 02:24 PM

34 posts, read 71,564 times
I agree with TexasRedneck's #1, pictures are a definite plus so that people can see what they are getting and know its worth the effort.

I wouldn't worry too much about your item being way down the list. Maybe some just browse the newest listings, but I think a lot of people (like me) run a search for the specific item(s) they are looking for so they will find you even if it has been awhile. I've had people contact me weeks after my posting even in categories with hundreds of posts per week.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:56 AM

487 posts, read 1,118,240 times
Thanks so much for your help! Especially about posting additional pic using photo bucket. I'll have to check that out.
I hadn't noticed the search option. Now I won't worry as much about my stuff being seen. (still will move the most important item to the top today . . . can't help myself) Amazing that people would drive all over town for a $10 item!
Hope to sell my stuff soon. Can't get the car in the garage
Thanks again for everyones help!

Old 05-28-2011, 10:13 AM

409 posts, read 1,034,647 times
I agree that pics of what you're selling is the best way. Mention flaws if any too. You must also know that there are ppl who will try and talk the price down ridiculously so add a few more $$ to the price of the item so it will give you bargaining room in case that happens. I get that alot in my yardsales.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:00 PM

26 posts, read 43,929 times
Craigslist in general can be very risky. I'm writing this less for the act of selling things and more for people who use the personals and community section, but if you post on CL, you need to know that there are people out there, especially on the Rants and Raves board, who make a game out of collecting personal information from other people and posting it publicly.

It hasn't happened to me, but new pictures and phone numbers are posted weekly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio