Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 08:28 AM

6 posts, read 19,680 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

We are relocating to SA in 2 weeks ( me, my husband and our small dog). We are young professionals looking for a safe neighborhood in the Med Center Area (as this will be close to where my husband will work). We hooked up with a realtor and saw some townhomes, houses close to the area but I’m a little worried about the safety of the places after reading some very horrid stories in apartment reviews.com. We are open to Apartments/TH/SF homes in the ranges of 1000-1400, close to shopping, eateries and gym. Safety would be the key right now. Can anyone please advice on areas that we should avoid and areas that are good.

We looked up something that we liked in Villas Of Babcock-Summerwind 78229zip. Not sure if this is a good place to call it home for a couple of years. Please advice.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Thanks a lot!

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 08:59 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,035 times
safe? stay out of the medical center then, as crime has been on the rise there since 05. police patrols increased 10 fold when i moved out of that crap hole in 05, yet crime is still on the rise.

consider stone oak, alamo heights, some of the more upscale areas. for what youre willing to pay, you can get a decent rental in a much safer area than the med cener.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:12 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,693,944 times
Stay east of I-10, which is only about a mile. Do not live on the Med Center side of I-10.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:43 AM

Thanks for the response Dexter Cat, can you please suggest some rental properties in the stone oak, alamo heights area you are aware of.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:44 AM

THanks for the reponse Primo, do you know the zip codes for east of I-10 so that I can check with my realtor for properties.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:47 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,624,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sreethedevil View Post
Thanks for the response Dexter Cat, can you please suggest some rental properties in the stone oak, alamo heights area you are aware of.
there are a TON of rentals available in the 78209 area. hit up broadway at hildebrand and travel towards downtown on broadway. keep your eyes to the left of the road. every side street you see will likely have houses and houses that have been converted to multi-unit dwellings.

personally, im paying 575 for over 1000 sqft and its just the wife, myself and our furball cats.

-edit-

not sure about stone oak though, as i dont live in that neighborhood but hear from my friends about how the rent is affordable out there if thats your income range (1k-1.4k a month on rent)

Old 06-01-2011, 12:26 PM

431 posts, read 765,957 times
budget?

Old 06-01-2011, 01:25 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,315 times
One thing to watch out for lately is people copying pictures, information and then posting the house on craigslist. They pretend to be the owner and they promise to send the keys after you've sent them a deposit. To a bank in Nigeria.......

Use a local Realtor

Old 06-01-2011, 02:46 PM

92 posts, read 235,107 times
For some reason apartment review websites are flooded with bad reviews for OK properties and neighborhoods - probably because people like me who have a great experience don't bother to write about it. I rented in the Medical center (in some apartment complexes labeled "THE WORST" online) for 4 years and only had one incident that made me feel unsafe (3 cars in my apartment complex were broken into). One incident in 4 years is not a big deal considering I live in a "safe neighborhood" that still manages to get at least one break-in a week.

Note that if you do not live in the Medical Center, traffic into work for your husband will be terrible. If you do live in the Medical center traffic is much easier because you will always be driving against the flow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio