Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 08:53 AM

2 posts, read 29,906 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Our family is planning to move from California to either San Antonio or Austin. Would like to live in the suburbs of a progressive and somewhat metropolitan city. Would also love to live near water (lake or river) for kayaking. Employment is not an issue. Any thoughts on San Antonio versus Austin?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 12:34 PM

121 posts, read 814,406 times
Speaking solely based on a few visits to both cities, my personal preference would be San Antonio. I just like the atmosphere there better, the history, the culture and the entertainment options. However, I wouldn't say Austin is lacking in those departements.

Any of the major cities in Texas are going to be metropolitan and somewhat progressive. In comparing San Antonio and Austin in those regards, Austin would be considered more liberal, or perhaps more accurately, a differenty type of liberal.

Either city will have you close to good kayaking options, but Austin might have a slight edge there due to its proximity to more bodies of water that are more scenic. Someone from San Antonio might be able to correct me on that, if it is incorrect.

That's probably not a whole lot of info for you, but I guess it's a start.

Old 09-17-2006, 03:32 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,672,947 times
Default Austin Kayaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcdonald1968 View Post
Hello,

Our family is planning to move from California to either San Antonio or Austin. Would like to live in the suburbs of a progressive and somewhat metropolitan city. Would also love to live near water (lake or river) for kayaking. Employment is not an issue. Any thoughts on San Antonio versus Austin?

Thanks!
West Austin is nice, but pricey. There is the Colorado River going through the southern part of Austin with lots of kayaks (no rapids though). Here is a link that maybe helpful.

http://www.kayakonline.com/texas.html

Old 09-17-2006, 07:51 PM

3 posts, read 38,201 times
Default S.A. vs. Austin

I have lived in both communities for extended periods. I now live in Austin by choice. They are both nice but here are the differences:
1. S.A. is cheaper
2. Austin is hipper
3 austin is cleaner
4. Austin hands down is better educated and solidly Democract party in a Republican state
5 SA is repubican and has strong military influence.
6. Water sports are a lot better and more accesible in Austin
7. Schools are better in austin. SA is poorly educated town and the culture shows it.

Old 09-17-2006, 07:59 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,244,515 times
Schools are better in SA. San Antonio is home to two of the fastest growing districts in Texas. Northside ISD and Northeast ISD as well as some of the best Universities in the country.

Sure the inner city areas of SA (SAISD) are poorly educated, but most all people would be hard pressed to find a major city where the inner city areas weren't. It's pathetic but it's true.

And please describe this "culture". I'm really interested in understanding your opinion of SA's culture.

Old 09-17-2006, 08:20 PM

1,722 posts, read 2,244,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcdonald1968 View Post
Hello,

Thanks!

San Antonio is a great city for families. San Antonio did have a reputation for being conserative, because it was. But things have been changing within the last 3-4 years drasticly and SA is now more progessive than it has ever been. Canyon Lake and Medina Lake are short drives from the city however for kataking you will love going to New Braunfels for the two rivers they have there. It's a big spot for tubing during spring break, summer, and other weekend holidays.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:46 AM

2,392 posts, read 9,654,724 times
Our family lives in San Antonio but I have alot of family in Austin also. The feel of the two cities is very different. Austin is a smaller college city with lots of live music some bands good some not so good. Some good schools with some not so good schools also. San Antonio offers more for me and my family to do with the lakes and rivers nearby also Sea World, Fiesta Texas, and great zoo and things of that nature. The culture here is more hispanic but that is how SA was founded and we keep that alive. Most of the public schools are great and the private ones are great. A private school here, Keystone School got the highest score in 4 subjects on an AP test,only 3 other schools in the world did better. I would plan on visitng both and see what ya like.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:40 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,047,807 times
Hi dmcdonald,

We too are moving out of CA to TX. We looked at both Austin and SA and chose SA simply because the freeway system is so much better. That was a huge issue for us! Austin has a series of two and four lane roads to get everywhere and lots of signal lights. It was way too congested for us. Working in Los Angeles, we really wanted to get away from gridlock, so we got the he// out of Austin and looked at SA. We had a home built in the Dominion, which is very nice. You might want to check it out. I'll officially be a Texan this coming Thursday! Woo Hoo!!!!!

Old 09-18-2006, 03:56 PM

679 posts, read 2,834,516 times
Twink, congratulations on your move. I know you must be sooooo thrilled. Wishing you an easy relocation.

Old 09-18-2006, 04:06 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,126,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdreamin View Post
Twink, congratulations on your move. I know you must be sooooo thrilled. Wishing you an easy relocation.
Ditto! I hope everything goes smoothly and that you and your family find life in SA to be enjoyable!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio