Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 11:15 PM

409 posts, read 1,034,285 times

Advertisements

I wonder if anyone else does what I do. I dig through trash cans at stores that sell scratch-off tickets and sometimes find winners that were prolly not read right by the person that threw them away. I go in and get more tickets and if I don't win anything at least it didn't cost me any money. My last experience was a few days ago when I found a $3 winner and bought 3 more with it winning $50. Hmmm...should I reinvest or just fill up my gas tank???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 11:26 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
What kind of trash cans? I'm a germaphobe. I used to kick over scratch-off tickets on the ground to see if they were winners when I was a kid, but I don't do that anymore......maybe I should start doing that again. I only bought a scratch-off and a lottery ticket once, just never been into gambling.

Employees let you dig in their trash cans?

Old 06-04-2011, 11:52 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,395,601 times
Trash is public property, although it might be private if it's actually located inside the store. I made $8 off a scratch-off ticket my wife threw in our bathroom garbage. No clue how she didn't notice she won, but I didn't share it with her. Finders keepers and sucks to be you to the loser.
and I think the reinvestment idea is a good one, especially if you made $50 off it. It's not like you're actually losing anything you had in the first place.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:05 PM

Default Finders keepers

Quote:
Originally Posted by L210 View Post
What kind of trash cans? I'm a germaphobe. I used to kick over scratch-off tickets on the ground to see if they were winners when I was a kid, but I don't do that anymore......maybe I should start doing that again. I only bought a scratch-off and a lottery ticket once, just never been into gambling.

Employees let you dig in their trash cans?
I'm talking about any of the cans they have around the store. I.E. outside the door, by the gas pumps, inside the store. Employees don't care if you go through them cause it's public property. I don't jump into the dumpsers though. I gather as many as I can then check them at home. There's truth to the saying, "One man's trash is another man's treasure." Who knows?? One day I might cash in a $2 ticket I found and win my Millions off of it..It'll be a good story for the news people. And...you can buy all the handsoap you need.

Old 06-05-2011, 12:22 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,215 times
There's going to have to be more than $50 at stake for me to go digging through trash cans. Gross.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:33 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,734,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
There's going to have to be more than $50 at stake for me to go digging through trash cans. Gross.
So if a few thousand or a million dollars were at stake it wouldn't bother you? Just not a "cheap" trash digger

Old 06-05-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
Would you do it for $100? $200? or maybe even $1000? Unless you have magical powers that let you know the tickets in the trash are worthless you won't know till you go through them. My cousin once found one worth $1000 at a time when she was really down on her luck. So dig in and be happy.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
So if a few thousand or a million dollars were at stake it wouldn't bother you? Just not a "cheap" trash digger
No, it would still bother me. But everyone has a price.

And even then...it would have to be pretty damn likely, not like a 0.0000002 percent chance of me getting a few hundred thousand dollars or whatever.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Chiba57 View Post
Would you do it for $100? $200? or maybe even $1000? Unless you have magical powers that let you know the tickets in the trash are worthless you won't know till you go through them. My cousin once found one worth $1000 at a time when she was really down on her luck. So dig in and be happy.
I'm sure if I ever get down on my luck that bad, I'll consider anything. But I'm employed making decent money and have significant savings put away. So I'm not worried about it.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:22 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,292,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
Trash is public property, although it might be private if it's actually located inside the store. I made $8 off a scratch-off ticket my wife threw in our bathroom garbage. No clue how she didn't notice she won, but I didn't share it with her. Finders keepers and sucks to be you to the loser.
and I think the reinvestment idea is a good one, especially if you made $50 off it. It's not like you're actually losing anything you had in the first place.
I'm tellllllllllllllllllllllllliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iing.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio