Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:09 AM

611 posts, read 921,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Honestly, you sound like you should start off in Austin then move to San Antonio!

I say that because the amenities you described now (bolded above) make Austin your best bet, but the ones underlined would make San Antonio the better choice.

Those not highlighted are a wash. In other words, both cities have their fare share of them, or lack them equally.

Generally speaking, Austin is a younger, more liberal, "hipper" college town with a better bar scene (6th Street); but San Antonio is more mature, conservative and as you said "family oriented."

When I was younger (late 20s/early 30s) and single we used to trek to Austin from San Angelo, but later on in life when I was older (late 30s/early 40s) and married San Antonio appealed to me much more.

These days when we go up to Austin to visit, I still like the place (there are plenty of hills, water and trees) but after driving around there for a while I am glad to get back to San Antonio!

Good luck with your decision!

Cheers! M2

I'm 28, married, and agree with everything majormadmax said.

Both cities have appeal for different reasons, and only you can make the determination about what is most important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 09:40 AM

239 posts, read 442,347 times
San antonio rules!

Old 10-07-2011, 10:50 AM

204 posts, read 336,274 times
I'm 26 and married to a 30 year old woman. We both prefer Austin by miles. We enjoy nightlife... it's not just a single man's game.

Bottom line... do you prefer drinking beer, eating Tex-Mex, and living is a less educated, slower paced, cheaper city? Then SA is your choice.

Do you want better nightlife, more recreation, more educated, live music, university atmosphere, and yes, more expensive...? Austin is your choice.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grf430 View Post

Bottom line... do you prefer drinking beer, eating Tex-Mex, and living is a less educated, slower paced, cheaper city? Then SA is your choice.
I find highly offensive. THis. I am more better educate from san antonio, Dishwasher.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:01 AM

204 posts, read 336,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyonthursSA View Post
I find highly offensive. THis. I am more better educate from san antonio, Dishwasher.
Well, judging by your grammar, I can tell you certainly are educated.

And yes, thanks for reminding me, I need to run the dishwasher.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:03 AM

Old 10-07-2011, 10:28 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,215 times
Austin first, then when you're "settled down" San Antonio if you want the more family-oriented atmosphere. That's what I would do if I were you.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:50 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,556,254 times
Quote:
I'm 26 and married to a 30 year old woman. We both prefer Austin by miles. We enjoy nightlife... it's not just a single man's game.

Do you want better nightlife, more recreation, more educated, live music, university atmosphere, and yes, more expensive...? Austin is your choice.
While in general SA tends to seem more a "blue collar" type city, I would like to see some stats. If I based on it those by whom I'm surrounded, there's an education level to rival any Ivy League town. I'd say about 80-90% of our associates these days are at the very least college educated, and a good 50% are beyond that (MD, PhD, JD, assorted masters degrees). So, it just depends...

I found the nightlife in Austin to be more college-oriented, for the most part. Great live music venues, but outside of that, 6th St is basically college, which honestly by my late 20s was kind of lame (and I was still single then).

Old 10-07-2011, 11:42 PM

944 posts, read 2,041,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
While in general SA tends to seem more a "blue collar" type city, I would like to see some stats.
Here's some stats from from 2006 that compare San Antonio to "peer metros" (Souce: 2006 American Community Survey, Census Bureau. I found it at the Dallas Fed website here: Affordability and Education: Keys to San Antonio's Long-Term Growth - Vista, Spring 2009 - FRB Dallas)

MSA...........................................Adul ts age 25 and over
...........................................with a college degree (percent)
San Jose–Sunnyvale–Santa Clara.................43.4
Austin–Round Rock....................................38.8
San Diego–Carlsbad–San Marcos..................33.4
Atlanta–Sandy Springs–Marietta..................33.3
Sacramento–Arden–Arcade–Roseville........... .29.6
Indianapolis–Carmel............................. ......29.5
Dallas–Fort Worth–Arlington........................29.4
Orlando–Kissimmee............................... .....27.9
Phoenix–Mesa–Scottsdale....................... ....27.1
Virginia Beach–Norfolk–Newport News............26.9
San Antonio............................................24.0
Texas............................................. .........24.7
United States............................................ 27.0

This page on sanantonio.gov even has a map that shows you the educational attainment percentages of different areas of the city: Planning & Development Services Department

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
If I based on it those by whom I'm surrounded, there's an education level to rival any Ivy League town. I'd say about 80-90% of our associates these days are at the very least college educated, and a good 50% are beyond that (MD, PhD, JD, assorted masters degrees). So, it just depends...
Who you surround yourself with is anecdotal evidence and isn't necessarily related at all to the educational attainment of the city overall.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:01 PM

810 posts, read 1,425,497 times
Quote:
well, judging by your grammar, i can tell you certainly are educated.

And yes, thanks for reminding me, i need to run the dishwasher.
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio