Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 09:46 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,217 times

Advertisements

I appreciate the positivity to my post. Thanks CD'ers

Just want to clarify some things... I do understand that it can be a tough road: I comprehend with those who want to yell to the rooftops about being out & proud. I'm just not one of them. Understanding that there were whole generations who were not only closeted, but beaten, bullied and even killed for who they were, it makes sense they would not only come out of the closet, but feel the need to kick the door down with force. Every minority group throughout history has encountered this and had to take a stand. I luckily didn't grow up in a time or city where that was common behavior (native Chicagoan here), so I don't feel the need to make my sexuality the mainstay of who I am as a person. Me being gay is, perhaps, 3% of who I am as a whole.

I have massive issues with the local gay community, from both a commercial business standpoint to the way health-based charities misappropriate funding for those who might really need it. San Antonio is stuck when it comes to this little niche and from the looks of things, it's not planning on progressing anytime soon.

It's just the way things are, and that's fine with me: If I want glitz and glamor, I know that Manhattan is only a non-stop Delta flight away.

BN

Old 07-05-2011, 10:48 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
I tried to keep my mouth shut as long as possible, but this is getting ridiculous. All kinds of people, white and non-white, have their cultural events and parades, but hardly anyone complains about those. Christians hold public events all the time and there was a thread on here awhile back complaining about Muslims having a small event. Do you know what I find offensive on this thread? The racist and self-hating overtones against Hispanics that has become constant lately. People love to attack minorities on here and then turn around and say there is no racism in San Antonio. After all the garbage you say, you still wonder why minorities feel like they're still being verbally and culturally attacked and discriminated against? This country will never move forward with the kind of attitudes that are so prevalent on here. I have chosen to ignore those threads and everyone should do the same with this thread if they have a problem with it. Threads are posted here all the time asking for church recommendations and even the announcement of the new archdiocese. As a Christian, I have my personal beliefs on sexuality. As someone who is studying the biological, psychological, and environmental effects on behavior; I have my scientific theories on human sexuality. But what two consenting adults do in their own bedroom is none of my business and it's not hurting me or anyone else. I don't choose to waste so much energy feeling anger and hatred over something so trivial. Doing so would be the opposite of being a loving Christian who loves her neighbors regardless of their flaws because I have my own flaws. Only God can judge because we're all imperfect sinners. God doesn't like ugly and some of the attitudes on here are definitely ugly.

Comparing the local gay pride parade to a nude fest in another country was just pure ignorance. How would you like it if I compared every white person to the Ku Klux Klan or the Nazis? How many non-Irish people care about the religious purpose of St. Patrick's day? No one seems to have a problem with Irish people showing their pride. Did you know that Irish people have their own heritage month? How many of you are going to gripe about that? If you want to live in a place where almost everyone is white and straight (or pretending to be straight), there are other cities and states that are more suitable. For those of you with dark skin who would prefer those places, I would like to see how you would be treated by the white supremacist groups in those areas. If I said things about white people that all of you say about minorities, many of you would be all up in arms calling me racist.

Last edited by L210; 07-05-2011 at 11:08 PM..

Old 07-05-2011, 11:16 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,477,106 times
It's not an issue on here. I haven't seen anyone complain about Irish events, but I have seen people complain about the events held by non-Christians and the LGBT community. There are ethnic heritage months for those who are white and non-white and no one has a problem with them, especially with the white ethnic groups. No one complains about Irish pride or Italian pride, so white people aren't excluded from celebrating their heritage. Germans hold all kinds of events here and no one is "offended."

Old 07-06-2011, 12:03 AM

574 posts, read 1,338,573 times
Lol @ "if you even mention a white heritage month, or any proud to be (insert your Caucasian/White race of choice) month, you are immediately labeled a racist and hate monger."

Seriously?

There are plenty of events that celebrate and highlight people of Euro/Caucasian (white) heritage. In all honesty the 4th of July is an American cultural event that really only celebrates one races "freedom". Yet the country as a whole celebrates and participates in this event, although for a large portion of this population's freedom would come a 100+ years later.

I am for the cultural "pride" of all peoples, regardless of race, creed, color, sexuality, etc. Now if we are being honest here...historically white "pride" has been more about white supremacist ideology under the guise of cultural enrichment. When oppressive hate speech and actions are paired with cultural "pride" then IMO that is where the problem arises, and that goes for ALL races...NOT just whites.

As L210 has stated plenty of German, Irish, British, etc fests and events take place all the time without any complaints.

When people are the majority most fests, and events cater to them. Sub-genres then have events to celebrate their sub-culture. This goes for all sorts of people...LGBT, Germans, Asians, Blacks, Italians, etc.

Lol @ patting "BN" on the head because he is a "suitable" homosexual. By no means is that an insult to you BenjaminNichols...so I hope you aren't offended. I just find it funny how some people posting, are okay with homosexuals as long as they aren't "visual" with who they are. As long as they fit into your idea of who and what they should be...everything is okay. You guys sure have some delusional ideas.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:24 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,756 times
Many well thought out educated posts!

Old 07-06-2011, 03:53 AM

385 posts, read 626,467 times
Pride was a blast this year! The event felt super small just a couple of years ago but this year it was much bigger! I hope it keeps growing and growing!

Old 07-06-2011, 07:39 AM

2,046 posts, read 5,587,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boywithstick View Post
Pride was a blast this year! The event felt super small just a couple of years ago but this year it was much bigger! I hope it keeps growing and growing!
I truly loved the pictures, am thrilled it was here in San Antonio, and can not wait to attend next year. I love a good party!

Old 07-06-2011, 08:13 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Moderator cut: see comment

Gist: don't like gay marriage? Don't get one. Don't like gays holding hands in public? So then why are you holding your opposite-sex partner's hand in public? It's the same damn expression of affection.

Don't like gay pride/marriage/celebration threads? Don't post in 'em! *GASP*. What a novel idea, I know!!! Certain people should try it sometime.

& I'll be back in Texas soon enough!

Last edited by Bo; 07-06-2011 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: Per TOS, can't discuss moderation in a post. Mods can discuss moderation via DM if you wish.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:14 AM

4,287 posts, read 8,030,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovingSAT View Post
I truly loved the pictures, am thrilled it was here in San Antonio, and can not wait to attend next year. I love a good party!
'I love a good party!'

Now that's what I like to hear, baby.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:08 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadlockd View Post
Lol @ "if you even mention a white heritage month, or any proud to be (insert your Caucasian/White race of choice) month, you are immediately labeled a racist and hate monger."

Seriously?

There are plenty of events that celebrate and highlight people of Euro/Caucasian (white) heritage. In all honesty the 4th of July is an American cultural event that really only celebrates one races "freedom". Yet the country as a whole celebrates and participates in this event, although for a large portion of this population's freedom would come a 100+ years later.

I am for the cultural "pride" of all peoples, regardless of race, creed, color, sexuality, etc. Now if we are being honest here...historically white "pride" has been more about white supremacist ideology under the guise of cultural enrichment. When oppressive hate speech and actions are paired with cultural "pride" then IMO that is where the problem arises, and that goes for ALL races...NOT just whites.

As L210 has stated plenty of German, Irish, British, etc fests and events take place all the time without any complaints.

When people are the majority most fests, and events cater to them. Sub-genres then have events to celebrate their sub-culture. This goes for all sorts of people...LGBT, Germans, Asians, Blacks, Italians, etc.

Lol @ patting "BN" on the head because he is a "suitable" homosexual. By no means is that an insult to you BenjaminNichols...so I hope you aren't offended. I just find it funny how some people posting, are okay with homosexuals as long as they aren't "visual" with who they are. As long as they fit into your idea of who and what they should be...everything is okay. You guys sure have some delusional ideas.
uh, not really. nobody said that, actually. and as for your other ridiculous comments about 4th of July...wow. Guess you haven't picked up a history book lately.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio